SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-22-2004, 10:02 AM
Administrator

Solved: How to use another remote with the Hauppauge IR receiver

First, I would like to thank Kevin (forum name 'ripple') for showing how this could be done.

I finally had time to add functionality to irremote.ini to use another remote and extend the number of buttons you can use, as mentioned in the thread titled: Hauppauge Remote. I mentioned buying an MX-500 in that thread, but I decided on the MX-700 instead. It was a bit of a pain to get the MX-700 to send the correct RC5 style codes (long story about the MX-700 not being able to fully learn both versions of RC5 codes that use a toggle bit), but the attached file contains the modified irremote.ini and the exported MXEditor devices to achieve this. The MX-700 layout contains practically every command you could use to control SageTV, though I left some of the irremote.ini key assignments blank for the commands I don't use, such as DVD control. I defined about 61 buttons; the other non-used commands listed in SageTV are mostly duplicates. You can easily modify the key layout in MXEditor or edit irremote.ini to define the keys as you use them in SageTV.

Since I did not buy the MX-500, I also did not buy the JP1 compatible remote that I mentioned in that other thread. If you have one, you could buy/make a JP1 cable & then create a device upgrade containing any RC5 codes you want. You can view the modified irremote.ini I've attached to see what changes to make for any codes you might add. I looked into the JP1 solution before buying the MX-700 & it wasn't that difficult to work with the JP1 tools... it just takes a little time to get used to it.

The JP1 solution is cheaper and probably easier since it can be programmed with any RC5 codes you want. The advantage of the MX-700 is the ability to label many of the buttons so it is easy to remember what they do. I believe the Pronto remotes can be programmed properly with any RC5 codes, so they should be easy to use with the Hauppauge receiver too.

Now to get used to using my MX-700...

NOTE FOR IMPORTING THE MX-700 DEVICES: In the MX-700 Editor, only after the 3 dummy devices have been imported can you then import the SAGE device. When that import process is started, a "Device Assign" dialog will be shown. Select one of the devices in the "Used External Devices" list and assign it to the same device name in the "Assign Devices To" pull-down list. For Example: for the "Used External Devices" device CD107, select "CD107 [107] PHILIPS" from the "Assign Devices To" pull-down list.

- Andy

Edit: Need help modifying irremote.ini? See: Instructions for extending irremote.ini

Edit: Want to control SageTV, even when it doesn't have focus? See:
How to control SageTV w/o focus (Hauppauge or other remotes)

Edit: I noticed that Home Theater now includes built-in device codes for both the old 34-button & new 45-button Hauppauge remotes. So, you don't really need to use my MX-700 configuration data unless you want to have more buttons/codes available to control other applications.
Attached Files
File Type: zip sagetv mx-700 modifications.zip (16.6 KB, 2923 views)