SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:17 AM
Sage Icon

Automatically Change Aspect Ratio

Is there any current way of automatically controlling aspect ratios?

I found neilms import: http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14146 but this is for v4. Will this still work on version 6?

I have an HD200 and control the AR settings from my remote and continually change the AR settings for the same channels and same programs time and time again. Of course itís not simple because each channel is usually different. I have a few stations that are displayed pillar boxed style and are very annoying. ZoomC works great for these stations which is 4 clicks of the AR button.

It would be wonderful if I could set Sage to switch these settings on the fly per channel or per show title.

What do you guys do in these situations?
Old 10-07-2009, 03:59 AM
Sage Advanced User

Hi,

I would like this as well, but I really need it to be able to work on 4:3 and 16:9 programmes, not on a per-channel basis.

I want everything to be set to source, except 4:3 which I want set to fill.

I'm not sure that's even possible?

If any of you codes think it is then I may have a go myself.

Regards,

Nick.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:14 AM
SageTVaholic

There is nothing out there right now that will analyse the video and automatically adjust the aspect ratio settings. ShowAnalyser does store the detected aspect ratio in it's log, and an STVi could be written that would analyse it and make teh change, though to be honest, I've found switching by channel seems to work just fine for me most the time.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 10-07-2009, 05:28 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
There is nothing out there right now that will analyse the video and automatically adjust the aspect ratio settings. ShowAnalyser does store the detected aspect ratio in it's log, and an STVi could be written that would analyse it and make teh change, though to be honest, I've found switching by channel seems to work just fine for me most the time.
It doesn't in the UK.

Regards,

Nick.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:45 AM
Sage Icon

Send a message via MSN to jaminben
Yeah, its a pain in the butt for UK user's. I usually just use the Aspect ratio button on the remote however the wife doesn't use this no matter how many times I tell her which results in the plasma getting Image Retention for a little while (Black bars on each side).

Old 10-07-2009, 06:52 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminben View Post
Yeah, its a pain in the butt for UK user's. I usually just use the Aspect ratio button on the remote however the wife doesn't use this no matter how many times I tell her which results in the plasma getting Image Retention for a little while (Black bars on each side).

That's exactly my reason as well!

Bloody women.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:56 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_W View Post
Bloody women.
Depends on the time of the month
Old 10-07-2009, 07:00 AM
Sage Icon

LMAO
Old 10-07-2009, 07:14 AM
Sage Icon

Been thinking about this and I dont see any reason why we couldn't use the detailed info to set the aspect ratio. I see there's api's for setting the aspect ratio but I'm not sure if you can specify a ratio or if you have to scroll through them. Needs more thinking.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:35 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminben View Post
Been thinking about this and I dont see any reason why we couldn't use the detailed info to set the aspect ratio. I see there's api's for setting the aspect ratio but I'm not sure if you can specify a ratio or if you have to scroll through them. Needs more thinking.
Go go go
Old 10-07-2009, 07:37 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_W View Post
Go go go
I doubt its that easy otherwise someone else would have done it before now. I will look at it for Ortus though...... especially as its something that I would use on a daily basis.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:16 AM
SageTVaholic

A while ago I talked to Jere about adding aspect ratio output to Show Analyser, which he did.. however, I never got time to actually create an STV to read and utilize the info. I also am not sure if it exists in SA1 either (don't think it got carried over, since I never utilized it). It was basically a text file (.aspect I think) that contained timestamps and the detected aspect ratio. I had intended to make an STV that would trigger at each of those times, and set the ratio correctly. This would be similar to an auto-zoom mode, but would not work for live tv (would have to have already been processed by SA, and I don't think .aspect got written until the end of processing).

There is also the option to use ffdshow as your decoder, which has SOME autocrop functionality. However, for some reason, it only crops down, and once cropped down to a certain size, will not expand back again. Probably something that could be fixed, but it currently is not.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 10-07-2009, 09:13 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
A while ago I talked to Jere about adding aspect ratio output to Show Analyser, which he did.. however, I never got time to actually create an STV to read and utilize the info. I also am not sure if it exists in SA1 either (don't think it got carried over, since I never utilized it). It was basically a text file (.aspect I think) that contained timestamps and the detected aspect ratio. I had intended to make an STV that would trigger at each of those times, and set the ratio correctly. This would be similar to an auto-zoom mode, but would not work for live tv (would have to have already been processed by SA, and I don't think .aspect got written until the end of processing).

There is also the option to use ffdshow as your decoder, which has SOME autocrop functionality. However, for some reason, it only crops down, and once cropped down to a certain size, will not expand back again. Probably something that could be fixed, but it currently is not.
I've had a very quick play with my above idea/Studio and so far it seems to be working how I would want it too, and thats basically if it detects a 4:3 media file it will auto change the aspect ratio to fill thus filling the screen and no more image retention on the plasma. This is also only for pre-recorded media so far. Not sure if I've got the time to make a fully working STVi for SageMC so it will probably have to wait for Ortus.