SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV v9 Customizations

Notices

SageTV v9 Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV version 9 application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss plugins for SageTV version 9 and newer.

Old 11-14-2018, 08:04 PM
SageTVaholic

How do I get the IP address of an HD extender via the API?

Maybe I missed something obvious, but is there a way through the API to get the IP address of an extender?

I know I could check the ARP table, but it seems very inefficient when the SageTV server already knows.
SageTV v9 Server: ASRock Z97 Extreme4, Intel i7-4790K @ 4.4Ghz, 32GB RAM, 6x 3TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 5TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 6TB 7200rpm HD, 4x 256GB SSD, 4x 500GB SSD, unRAID Pro 6.7.2 (Dual Parity + SSD Cache).
Capture: 1x Ceton InfiniTV 4 (ClearQAM), 2x Ceton InfiniTV 6, 1x BM1000-HDMI, 1x BM3500-HDMI.

Clients: 1x HD300 (Living Room), 1x HD200 (Master Bedroom).
Software: OpenDCT :: WMC Live TV Tuner :: Schedules Direct EPG
Old 11-15-2018, 03:33 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnterNoEscape View Post
Maybe I missed something obvious, but is there a way through the API to get the IP address of an extender?

I know I could check the ARP table, but it seems very inefficient when the SageTV server already knows.
You need to register and listen for the message sent by STV server any time an extender connects/disconnects with it. I use this mechanism for all my plugins, later I will send you a code snippet if you want.

Cheers
Eddy

Automatic Power Off | Squeezeslave | DVB-S Importer | DVB Decrypter & Card Client | Tuner Preroll

Every man is a damn fool for at least five minutes every day; wisdom consists in not exceeding the limit. ~ Elbert Hubbard
Old 11-15-2018, 05:42 AM
SageTVaholic

IIRC if you get the UI Context name, it is the IP address.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 11-15-2018, 05:54 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post
IIRC if you get the UI Context name, it is the IP address.
Isn't it the MAC address ?
Old 11-15-2018, 06:56 AM
Sage Icon

Smile

Quote:

Code:
	@SuppressWarnings("rawtypes")
	public synchronized void start()
	{
	  registry.eventSubscribe(this, CLIENT_CONNECTED);
        }

public synchronized void sageEvent(String eventName, Map eventVars)
	{
          if (CLIENT_CONNECTED.equals(eventName))
	  {
	     String MAC = (String)eventVars.get("MACAddress");
	     String IP = (String)eventVars.get("IPAddress");
          }
        }
Cheers
Eddy

Automatic Power Off | Squeezeslave | DVB-S Importer | DVB Decrypter & Card Client | Tuner Preroll

Every man is a damn fool for at least five minutes every day; wisdom consists in not exceeding the limit. ~ Elbert Hubbard
Old 11-15-2018, 02:20 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusjoken View Post
Isn't it the MAC address ?
Yes, my bad.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 11-15-2018, 07:50 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by routerunner View Post
Code:
	@SuppressWarnings("rawtypes")
	public synchronized void start()
	{
	  registry.eventSubscribe(this, CLIENT_CONNECTED);
        }

public synchronized void sageEvent(String eventName, Map eventVars)
	{
          if (CLIENT_CONNECTED.equals(eventName))
	  {
	     String MAC = (String)eventVars.get("MACAddress");
	     String IP = (String)eventVars.get("IPAddress");
          }
        }
Cheers
Eddy
Thanks for this snippet. I'm coding for Node.js because that's the native language of the driver API for my Neeo remote. I'm using sagex for API related queries so as to not re-invent the wheel, but I believe that precludes subscribing to events.

Maybe I'm going about this the wrong way since it looks like I'm limiting what I can access by not writing a SageTV plugin. I don't know if I want to spend time converting their API to Java, however I've seen a few Node.js adaptations for Java. Before I get too deep in that rabbit hole, does anyone have any recommendations for one they liked or reasons this would be a bad idea?
SageTV v9 Server: ASRock Z97 Extreme4, Intel i7-4790K @ 4.4Ghz, 32GB RAM, 6x 3TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 5TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 6TB 7200rpm HD, 4x 256GB SSD, 4x 500GB SSD, unRAID Pro 6.7.2 (Dual Parity + SSD Cache).
Capture: 1x Ceton InfiniTV 4 (ClearQAM), 2x Ceton InfiniTV 6, 1x BM1000-HDMI, 1x BM3500-HDMI.

Old 11-16-2018, 05:56 PM
SageTVaholic

I took a deeper look at things and I think I'm going to just port the API to Java. At it's heart, it's just a lot of REST and JSON.

Old 11-17-2018, 04:16 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I took a deeper look at things and I think I'm going to just port the API to Java. At it's heart, it's just a lot of REST and JSON.
You might want to take a look at this library. It's a handy library for mapping json to java apis.

https://square.github.io/retrofit/
Old 11-17-2018, 08:52 AM
Sage Icon

Been too long and fuzzy memory but didn't Slugger have a GlobalsHelper API that might have what you want?

I remember can power on/off extenders and other stuff.
Old 11-17-2018, 05:48 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
You might want to take a look at this library. It's a handy library for mapping json to java apis.

https://square.github.io/retrofit/
Interesting. It looks like it would work fairly well with how this API is structured. I'll definitely give it a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graywolf View Post
Been too long and fuzzy memory but didn't Slugger have a GlobalsHelper API that might have what you want?

I remember can power on/off extenders and other stuff.
I'll keep this in mind if things start to go south with the porting.

Old 11-18-2018, 10:23 AM
SageTVaholic

I could be wrong but doesn't something like

Configuration.GetServerProperty("sagex/uicontexts/001d6a5dbc47/ip", "")

return the IP address of that ui context?
Old 11-18-2018, 06:23 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
I could be wrong but doesn't something like

Configuration.GetServerProperty("sagex/uicontexts/001d6a5dbc47/ip", "")

return the IP address of that ui context?
I haven't seen any properties like that in Sage.properties.

Old 11-19-2018, 08:03 AM
SageTVaholic

I will have to check my files again. Maybe I added that myself (I doubt it) or some other plugin added that.
Old 11-19-2018, 01:30 PM
SageTVaholic

It's an agreed up key that plugins can use. Phoenix may populate it, as do some other plugins. the "sagex" prefix in the key, means that it's not a sagetv "core" property.
Old 11-19-2018, 02:41 PM
SageTVaholic

By the way, Slugger wrote both Utility Helpers and Global Helpers which help with some of these functions and to get other info regarding extenders, clients, etc. I have been campaigning to get these incorporated into the core API.

Utility Helpers has a function getIpAddrForMacAddr(String mac). This has a dependency on getArpMap which is also in Utility Helpers.

Here is the code:
Code:
/**
	 * <p>Look up the IP address for a given MAC address</p>
	 * <p>
	 *   This method will only succeed if the host is actively connected to the SageTV server.  If
	 *   the host is not connected to the SageTV server then this method will <i>likely</i> return
	 *   null, though there is a slight chance, depending on the timing, that the ARP cache may still
	 *   contain the details for the hostname and will then return the desired result.
	 * </p>
	 * @param mac The MAC address to get the IP address for; lowercase letters and numbers only
	 * @return The IP address for the given MAC or null if it cannot be determined
	 * @throws UnsupportedOperationException If called on an unsupported OS; currently only Windows and Linux are supported
	 * @since 1.0.3
	 */
	static String getIpAddrForMacAddr(String mac) throws UnsupportedOperationException {
		def data
		if(Global.IsWindowsOS())
			data = getArpMapOnWindows(false)
		else if(Global.IsLinuxOS())
			data = getArpMapOnLinux(false)
		else
			throw new UnsupportedOperationException("Unable to get ARP map on this OS! [${Global.GetOS()}]")
		return data[mac]
	}
Old 11-21-2018, 09:29 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
By the way, Slugger wrote both Utility Helpers and Global Helpers which help with some of these functions and to get other info regarding extenders, clients, etc. I have been campaigning to get these incorporated into the core API.

Utility Helpers has a function getIpAddrForMacAddr(String mac). This has a dependency on getArpMap which is also in Utility Helpers.

Here is the code:
Code:
/**
	 * <p>Look up the IP address for a given MAC address</p>
	 * <p>
	 *   This method will only succeed if the host is actively connected to the SageTV server.  If
	 *   the host is not connected to the SageTV server then this method will <i>likely</i> return
	 *   null, though there is a slight chance, depending on the timing, that the ARP cache may still
	 *   contain the details for the hostname and will then return the desired result.
	 * </p>
	 * @param mac The MAC address to get the IP address for; lowercase letters and numbers only
	 * @return The IP address for the given MAC or null if it cannot be determined
	 * @throws UnsupportedOperationException If called on an unsupported OS; currently only Windows and Linux are supported
	 * @since 1.0.3
	 */
	static String getIpAddrForMacAddr(String mac) throws UnsupportedOperationException {
		def data
		if(Global.IsWindowsOS())
			data = getArpMapOnWindows(false)
		else if(Global.IsLinuxOS())
			data = getArpMapOnLinux(false)
		else
			throw new UnsupportedOperationException("Unable to get ARP map on this OS! [${Global.GetOS()}]")
		return data[mac]
	}
This approach is what I was hinting at doing as a work around, but it's really not the best way to do this since the server actually knows the IP address.

So far the API porting is going well. I'll put it up on GitHub as a library for anyone interested in using Java to work with the Neeo brain when I'm done.

It's nice to have a few days off work to tackle this.