SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 12-11-2009, 03:42 PM
Sage Advanced User

HD-PVR .ts conversion - needed?

Hi,

I was reading multiple posts here and there about converting recorded show to other formats. There are multiples tools available (even if I"m not sure they are always simple to implement with SageTV) but my question is more about what would be the advantages of doing such a conversion? I"m recording with a HD-PVR. Some stuff is HD, some is not. I"m getting the sound through the SPDIF connector so I assume it is some kind of AC3. I know that some of the channels I"m recording from push 5.1 stuff (at least, that"s what my receiver is telling when such content is received).

So, If I was to convert to another format, it would have to keep 100% of the audio data and should be as clean as the .TS are for the video aspect. Is there such a solution that would still permit me to listen those recordings from SageTV, SageTV extender (both 100 and 200 models), SageTV client (on Windows)?

I would expect space saving to be one of the reason for such encoding. Is that the main reason (outside of those that are doing it because they want to play it on another type of player)?

If so, that"s a good enough one. What kind of ratio are achievable without too much efforts? What is the best way of doing this? I saw multiple tools but each seems to have pros and cons.

Let me know what you experienced and if it was worth it or not. Now that I seems to have a working SJQ system, I could envision creating a rules to convert some (or all) of my recordings.

Thank you.

ehfortin
Old 12-11-2009, 03:46 PM
SageTVaholic

With disk space being so cheap why bother converting and having it take the time and processing power to do that? I could understand it and I do it to put it on an iPod. But I just buy 1TB, 1.5TB or 2TB drives when I need more space and when they go on sale. No matter how well you convert it they will be some reduction in resolution. So why record in HD and then reduce the results?

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:20 PM
Sage Advanced User

Hi Gerry,

Well, that"s what I have been thinking for some time. I really wanted to convert to some kind of universal format but it take time and seems lossy. I"m still hoping that at some point, we will be able to convert to this universal format that can be played on XBox360, WMP, SageTV, etc and that would be smaller in size while still not degraded.

I was thinking about TV series that are sold after a season on DVD. They basically put 3-4 60 minutes episod by DVD (actually, it is more like 40-45 minutes per episod once commercials are removed). I understand that this is lower then HD but maybe those would be candidate for conversion. Also, recording with HD-PVR means that everything is recorded as if it was HD even if it is not if you send everything from your cablebox as 720p or 1080i/p. Is there a way to recognized these and convert them without getting lower quality then what I would get from a DVD?

Hey, it is christmas time coming so... I can ask for anything, right? Let see if Santa is into technology or not

ehfortin
Old 12-11-2009, 10:49 PM
Sage User

You could try running them through Handbrake and convert them to x.264 which is very good to excellent for the filesize.