SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 02-22-2021, 01:11 PM
SageTVaholic

SageTV acting up again during program guide changes

I used to have this problem, but never figured out why it stopped happening, but now it's started happening again. grrr.

When the TV guide listing roll through a program change (usually at the top or bottom of the clock), and I'm watching 'LIVE', SageTV server software halts, chokes, and often needs the channel to be re-selected manually in order for viewing to continue.

Also, you can't rewind to the start of the show - it's as if Sage doesn't realize it started five minutes ago.

Devices used that are acting up: HDPVR 1, and a Cisco set top cable box.

I don't think the HDPVR power supply is the problem, since I'm using the 5v, wired to my PC molex method.

Anyone else have this problem?
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 02-24-2021, 01:34 AM
Sage Aficionado

yup, I've seen this happen. Don't know why, wish I could solve it.

Also using HDPVR and a Shaw STB (Motorola DCX-3200m).
Old 02-24-2021, 06:47 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
I used to have this problem, but never figured out why it stopped happening, but now it's started happening again. grrr.

When the TV guide listing roll through a program change (usually at the top or bottom of the clock), and I'm watching 'LIVE', SageTV server software halts, chokes, and often needs the channel to be re-selected manually in order for viewing to continue.

Also, you can't rewind to the start of the show - it's as if Sage doesn't realize it started five minutes ago.

Devices used that are acting up: HDPVR 1, and a Cisco set top cable box.

I don't think the HDPVR power supply is the problem, since I'm using the 5v, wired to my PC molex method.

Anyone else have this problem?
This seems like what I have been investigating in the Android Client thread. I wonder if this is related to the fast_mux_switch setting. This tries to make the switch from one file to the next seamless to the client.

How are you playing back the content? Is transcoding involved at all? You could try turning off fast_mux_switch. It would just add some delay when the transition occurs.

I would like to hear more info, it may be relevant to the development I am doing.

Josh
JavaFFmpegLibrary

If you like the work I am doing and would like to support it you can become a Patreon member.
Old 02-24-2021, 09:35 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvl711 View Post
This seems like what I have been investigating in the Android Client thread. I wonder if this is related to the fast_mux_switch setting. This tries to make the switch from one file to the next seamless to the client.

How are you playing back the content? Is transcoding involved at all? You could try turning off fast_mux_switch. It would just add some delay when the transition occurs.

I would like to hear more info, it may be relevant to the development I am doing.

Josh
Sorry, I wasn’t clear on viewing method. I’m actually watching LIVE tv on my SageTV server via the Sage software, as opposed to using a media extender. Actually, I’ll try that today - rolling through a SageTV, EPG tv guide program change, LIVE, on a media extender.

And, I’ll try it via my two, tuner setups to see if there’s a difference (HDPVR with Cisco setup box and cable tv VS. Hauppauge Colossus / Satelite).

If you noticed my profile, I’m running W7, 32 bit.
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 02-24-2021, 09:56 AM
Sage Icon

The fast mux switch setting applies no matter what playback device you’re using since it’s a recording setting. Give that a shot first. Set “seeker/fast_mux_switch=false” in sage.properties.
Old 02-24-2021, 11:07 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnjj View Post
The fast mux switch setting applies no matter what playback device you’re using since it’s a recording setting. Give that a shot first. Set “seeker/fast_mux_switch=false” in sage.properties.
interesting, ok. I’ll give that a try. thanks
Old 02-24-2021, 04:54 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
interesting, ok. I’ll give that a try. thanks
Please report back. I am interested in what you see.
JavaFFmpegLibrary

If you like the work I am doing and would like to support it you can become a Patreon member.
Old 02-24-2021, 10:42 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvl711 View Post
Please report back. I am interested in what you see.
early testing seems to indicate the HDPVR/cable box a bigger problem. After the properties tweak, Colossus/Satellite box rolls through flawlessly. The HDPVR/cisco box still gets a bit confused at a TV guide program change.
Makes no sense. Does it?
Old 02-25-2021, 09:50 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
early testing seems to indicate the HDPVR/cable box a bigger problem. After the properties tweak, Colossus/Satellite box rolls through flawlessly. The HDPVR/cisco box still gets a bit confused at a TV guide program change.
Makes no sense. Does it?
Can you monitor your CPU usage in both cases? I am curious if you get spikes in the HDPVR/cable box case and not with the Colossus. I assume that both are recording h.264 format video.
TV Storage: 11 TB (4x1.5TB for recording, 5TB for archive)
Clients: 3
SageTV Extenders:5
Old 02-27-2021, 09:54 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidget View Post
Can you monitor your CPU usage in both cases? I am curious if you get spikes in the HDPVR/cable box case and not with the Colossus. I assume that both are recording h.264 format video.
Sure - I can even take some photos of the output. What am I looking for exactly, usage wise? There does seem to be a spike when a guide change occurs. I use the 'Great - H.264 3.8GB Hr' record setting, and both my tuners output 720p to Sage.
Old 02-27-2021, 02:14 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Sure - I can even take some photos of the output. What am I looking for exactly, usage wise? There does seem to be a spike when a guide change occurs. I use the 'Great - H.264 3.8GB Hr' record setting, and both my tuners output 720p to Sage.
How big is the spike? I would expect you to be hitting 100% when you see the problem. If you can record the same program from both sources and only the HD-PVR shows the problem, you can compare the two video files to see what is different. One may be recording at 1080i by mistake.
TV Storage: 11 TB (4x1.5TB for recording, 5TB for archive)
Clients: 3
SageTV Extenders:5