SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV HD Theater - Media Player

Notices

SageTV HD Theater - Media Player Discussion related to using the SageTV HD Theater as a Media Player, i.e.: in use while not connected to a SageTV server. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to using a SageTV HD Theater as a Media Player should be posted here. Use the SageTV Media Extender forum for issues related to using it while connected to a SageTV server.

Old 03-09-2011, 08:37 PM
Sage Aficionado

How reliable is using the Wireless N for blu-ray and 1080p mkv's?

Hello,

Leaving out stories about problem making the Wireless network to connect into the router, assuming you succeed and manage to connect the wireless dongle with an N router and have good to medium signal. How stable is the connection? does the image/audio stutter, freeze, granulate or suffer any degradation? Is there people actually using the HD300 for the main tv and forgot that their connection is wireless?
Old 03-11-2011, 06:56 AM
Sage Advanced User

This is an article that might explain some of the woes with wireless connectivity. http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wirel...ding-to-80211n

The information I got from this article is this:
1. The only channels to use while using 2.4Ghz band are channels 1, 6, and 11 since they do not have any overlap.
2. When using Wireless G and N on the same frequency, Wireless N will slow down to G speeds. The article explains this better.
3. Use WPA2-AES only to get the best wireless performance.
4. Have separate Wireless Radios/Devices for Wireless N and G clients. This will fix #2.

I upgraded to Wireless N last year when I bought a Netgear WNDR3700, which has both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz capability as well as 2 radios, one for each frequency. I have 2.4Ghz setup for my wireless G clients (2 laptops, Wireless Bridge, and my cell phone), and have 5Ghz setup for only wireless N clients (DWA-160 for HD200, and my DAP-1522 (Wireless Bridge) for my entertainment center). I have an HD300 connected to the DAP-1522.

I can say that when the DWA-160 was connected to my laptop I was getting 270Mbps or higher for speeds. I also have not noticed any glitching on my HD200 with the DWA-160 or with my HD300 with the DAP-1522. This is with the 5Ghz wireless radio.

I know this seems like a lot and it probably is, but this will help your wireless woes when all is said and done.

Protoman

Last edited by Protoman; 03-11-2011 at 07:00 AM.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:32 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoman View Post
This is an article that might explain some of the woes with wireless connectivity. http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wirel...ding-to-80211n

The information I got from this article is this:
1. The only channels to use while using 2.4Ghz band are channels 1, 6, and 11 since they do not have any overlap.
2. When using Wireless G and N on the same frequency, Wireless N will slow down to G speeds. The article explains this better.
3. Use WPA2-AES only to get the best wireless performance.
4. Have separate Wireless Radios/Devices for Wireless N and G clients. This will fix #2.

I upgraded to Wireless N last year when I bought a Netgear WNDR3700, which has both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz capability as well as 2 radios, one for each frequency. I have 2.4Ghz setup for my wireless G clients (2 laptops, Wireless Bridge, and my cell phone), and have 5Ghz setup for only wireless N clients (DWA-160 for HD200, and my DAP-1522 (Wireless Bridge) for my entertainment center). I have an HD300 connected to the DAP-1522.

I can say that when the DWA-160 was connected to my laptop I was getting 270Mbps or higher for speeds. I also have not noticed any glitching on my HD200 with the DWA-160 or with my HD300 with the DAP-1522. This is with the 5Ghz wireless radio.

I know this seems like a lot and it probably is, but this will help your wireless woes when all is said and done.

Protoman
Thank you very much, great article learned something new