SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV HD Theater - Media Player

Notices

SageTV HD Theater - Media Player Discussion related to using the SageTV HD Theater as a Media Player, i.e.: in use while not connected to a SageTV server. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to using a SageTV HD Theater as a Media Player should be posted here. Use the SageTV Media Extender forum for issues related to using it while connected to a SageTV server.

Old 12-29-2010, 12:39 PM

Question whs and sage tv hd300?

so we bought a windows home server (whs) with the intent of loading all our music and dvd's onto it...

it appears that the incantation (geesh) to actually get movies onto and played from one's whs is way more stressful than need be

*but* i may have figured it out...and thought i'd ask here if i'm getting all the right bits and pieces.

on the "onto" side, i'm looking at "my movies" disc copier and "AnyDVD HD" (for decoding).

on the "playing" side the primary goal is to push/stream movies onto our tv *through* our home theater system. so i'm looking at getting a sage tv hd300.
(the home theater and tv are all new enough to handle this...)

so....what do you think? - d
Old 12-29-2010, 12:48 PM
Sage Fanatic

Can you elaborate on the propblems you have getting movies on WHS? I have 1500 loaded on mine and they work great. Most are ripped to mkv, but a few are VIDEO_TS folders.

HD300 with Sage running on WHS is an excellent solution, many ppl here use it.
8tb RAID5 storage/media/other &3tb RAID5 backup storage on a HighPoint RocketRaid 2680
1tb 3 disk Recording Pool
all in a beautiful Antec 1200
SageMyMovies/Comskip/PlayON/SageDCT/SRE
HD100/HD300 extenders
Old 12-29-2010, 12:54 PM
Sage Aficionado

WHS is a great solution for what you are proposing, just be aware that playing media files directly on the WHS machine is not fully supported (nor should it be). Once you have user accounts created on the WHS, using the same user accounts (and passwords) on the client PCs will allow access to the files stored on it (and their respective privileges).

Once connected, any program on the client PC that can play/view that file type should be able to play them over the network as if they were local to to the PC client.

Grant
Old 12-29-2010, 01:00 PM

i shouldn't say problem...as much as tons and tons of opinions (on different forums from people where one can't gauge their expertise) on how to get movies on to a whs *and* be able to play them back.

one thing i'd like to preserve is all the 'extras' on the dvd's (and blu-rays). i'd like the end result to look as if i'd had physically inserted a disc into a player. that's why (i think) i need(?) 'my movies' and 'anydvd'.

(i do computer work for a living...and so already have a dent in my forehead from banging my head against the wall i really don't want to make it worse over something that (should be) easy to do/consumer friendly) (oh -- and bondo works really nice for filling that dent ) - d
Old 12-29-2010, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOfMany View Post
WHS is a great solution for what you are proposing, just be aware that playing media files directly on the WHS machine is not fully supported (nor should it be). Once you have user accounts created on the WHS, using the same user accounts (and passwords) on the client PCs will allow access to the files stored on it (and their respective privileges).

Once connected, any program on the client PC that can play/view that file type should be able to play them over the network as if they were local to to the PC client.

Grant
i'm headed down this path because i've seen comments from people that say a whs makes a fine home-theater pc (htpc). i'm inclined to agree but have no practical experience (as the whs is only a few weeks old).

*if* the end result of this work is that i can play movies on my pc (or any of the other pc's in the house) great...but sitting at my desk watch a movie is not the same thing as being stretched out on the couch doing the same
Old 12-29-2010, 01:18 PM
Sage Expert

what you are planning should work wonderfully...
no muss, no fuss...

of course since you are running WHS anyway, you might as well also get the SageTV Media Server for WHS... that will open up all sorts of goodness that you have yet to consider... like plug-ins... my favorite is probably Plucky's excellent SMM (Sage My Movies) brings all the MyMovies meta data over and combines it with an excellent UI....
looks something like this:

well that is one possible look/UI at least... Plucky seems to be a firm believer in offering different options to suit ones needs...

and there is that whole PVR thing that is actually quite wonderful really...

and even better, you could then hang out with all the cool kids in the SageTV Media Extender forum... ok, I may be over selling this last point a tad... actually I am not quite sure what a tad refers to when used as a unit of measure... or even when not used as a unit of measure... but the point is still valid... ok, so I admit this may not be a valid point at all...
Old 12-29-2010, 01:40 PM
Sage Aficionado

"i'm headed down this path because i've seen comments from people that say a whs makes a fine home-theater pc (htpc). i'm inclined to agree but have no practical experience (as the whs is only a few weeks old)."

Actually, I "don't" believe that WHS makes a fine HTPC. It does however make a great centralized storage box that other devices can connect from and stream files from.

If you are attempting to use WHS as a computer in the traditional sense of the word, then you are not using WHS for it's intended purpose. It should be simply a box plugged into your switch.

Grant
Old 03-10-2011, 10:35 AM
Sage User

I also have a WHS machine (located in my office) with all gigabit wiring throughout. I have MyMovies and AnyDVDHD on my WHS as well as SageTV add-in and just love the PVR and other functions that it provides. Being able to just insert a DVD in the WHS and let MM rip it and then just select it on the HD300 in my living room is just what I wanted. My only issue is I haven't figured out how to get the HD300 to see a Blu-Ray rip that MyMovies has ripped for me. The files are on the WHS server (ISO format) but the HD300 will not see them. It sees the other regular DVD's just fine. There is an option in MyMovies setup to rip Blu-rays to folders or some other option (I can't remember). Should I go with that option instead? Not meaning to highjack this thread but the OP my find this useful as well.

Whoops, sorry. I just realized that I posted this in the wrong section since I am using the HD300 as an extender.

Last edited by eqwalker; 03-10-2011 at 10:57 AM.
Old 03-10-2011, 03:32 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhofmeister View Post
i'm headed down this path because i've seen comments from people that say a whs makes a fine home-theater pc (htpc). i'm inclined to agree but have no practical experience (as the whs is only a few weeks old).

*if* the end result of this work is that i can play movies on my pc (or any of the other pc's in the house) great...but sitting at my desk watch a movie is not the same thing as being stretched out on the couch doing the same
WHS is not meant to be used as a HTPC or a PC anything like, the reason to have a WHS is to have all your data centralized in one place that can be inside a closet or anyway on your house. With the WHS v1 you have what is called Drive Extender that allows you to add hard drive without hesitation and increase your disk drive space without adding an additional drive letter. I have a WHS with 8tb (and counting) connected with 2 HD300 and 1 client PC and I never was so satisfied with my home theater setup.