SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-01-2006, 03:02 PM
dflachbart dflachbart is offline
SageTVaholic
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Brookfield, CT
Posts: 2,743
Arrow STV Import: Remember play position of imported videos

Hi,

I added some custom code to my STV to keep track of the play positions in imported video files. If there is any general interest for this I could try to create an import for it and make it available...

It's rather simple (store current time on "stop" in text file, read and seek to stored time on "play") and would be provided 'as-is', without plans to add other functionality. It works for me, and that's all I need, but I thought I just might share it as well ...

Dirk


Update:
======

The work on the import is done, and the file is available for download.

Installation:

- unzip the file to your SageTV\SageTV directory (make sure to extract with folder names)
- restart SageTV
- although Sage won't import into your current STV, it's always a good idea to make a backup
- import videolib_times.stvi

That's all, no configuration required.

Whenever you stop watching a video from the video library, the current play position will get saved into the file VideoLibraryTimes.properties in SageTV\SageTV. Next time you play the video again, it will start from where you left off. Obsolete entries (for removed/deleted videos) in the file will get removed when you refresh your library folder.

The file can be downloaded here

Enjoy,

Dirk

Last edited by dflachbart; 03-08-2006 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Added download link
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-01-2006, 03:27 PM
stanger89's Avatar
stanger89 stanger89 is offline
SageTVaholic
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Marion, IA
Posts: 15,186
Sure, why not
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-01-2006, 05:40 PM
Humanzee's Avatar
Humanzee Humanzee is offline
Sage Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: North Idaho
Posts: 752
Does it delete the txt file when you resume watching?

I go through a lot of imported video's, sounds like a good feature to me, I'd use it if you made it available in an stvi.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-01-2006, 06:36 PM
Enormous's Avatar
Enormous Enormous is offline
Sage Aficionado
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: D.C. Area
Posts: 398
I was just wishing for this exact thing last night!
__________________
-Eric
Client: STX-HD100 Extender, Connected to 47" Visio 1080p LCD via HDMI, Running SageMC
Client: Media MVP Running SageMC
Server: Antec SLK3800B, AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+, Biostar TForce 550, GeForce 7300LE, 1GB DDR2 800, 2 x HVR-1600, PVR-150MCE, 1.4TB HD Space, XP Pro, Java6, Latest SageTV Version
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-01-2006, 08:00 PM
computer33 computer33 is offline
Sage Advanced User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 109
I would also like a copy. Seems like such a small thing but I find it very anoying that Sage does not remember.
__________________
Server: AMD Barton 2500+, WinXP, 1Gig RAM, HD Homerun

Clients: HP dm1(E350), HD-100
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-01-2006, 08:11 PM
dflachbart dflachbart is offline
SageTVaholic
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Brookfield, CT
Posts: 2,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanzee
Does it delete the txt file when you resume watching?

I go through a lot of imported video's, sounds like a good feature to me, I'd use it if you made it available in an stvi.
Actually, it uses only a single file to store all play times. Entries for deleted files get removed when you refresh your library.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enormous
I was just wishing for this exact thing last night!
Ok then, convincing enough ... Will try to get this done by the weekend.

Dirk
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-01-2006, 10:26 PM
Vlar Vlar is offline
Sage User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 20
awesome, this is one of those mp features that I missed in sage
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-01-2006, 11:04 PM
keefmyster keefmyster is offline
Sage User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: VA
Posts: 28
I would totally be interested in this feature! I watch a lot of imported videos and am always having to remember where I left off.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-01-2006, 11:53 PM
Humanzee's Avatar
Humanzee Humanzee is offline
Sage Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: North Idaho
Posts: 752
I know you said that you were not going to modify this import to include any other features, but would there be a way to create a seperate play list for each imported video folder? I have several imported videos that are split up into several files, ie disk 1 and disk 2. Could something like your remeber position stvi be adapted to remember a seperate play list too?

Just another idea.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-02-2006, 07:16 AM
dflachbart dflachbart is offline
SageTVaholic
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Brookfield, CT
Posts: 2,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanzee

I know you said that you were not going to modify this import to include any other features, but would there be a way to create a seperate play list for each imported video folder? I have several imported videos that are split up into several files, ie disk 1 and disk 2. Could something like your remeber position stvi be adapted to remember a seperate play list too?

Just another idea.
Hmm, let me see if I got this right ... You mean that you have one video which is split into multiple files, which are stored in different directories, correct ? And you want to have the position for part1 remembered seperately from the position in part2 ? I assume you would still need to play each file separately, or is there some 'playlist' feature I am not aware of (I for myself am using only one import folder ...) ?

Do all parts have the same Title in Sage ? I use the title that Sage reports as a key for the play positions in the stored file. If they have the same title, I would need to add the filename/directory to the key, otherwise it should just work...

Dirk
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-02-2006, 08:24 AM
aperry's Avatar
aperry aperry is offline
Sage Expert
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 680
So, what happens when you get to the end? If you want to watch the show again, does it start over from the beginning?

You know, I really wish there were a feature throughout Sage that would have resume/start over options in the pop-up menu instead of just Watch Now. 95% of the time, the way that Sage does it is fine, but if someone else in the house watched the show for 45 minutes, then I either have to set watched so Sage will start over, or bump back 10-30 seconds per bump until I get back to the beginning.

Now that I've got that off my chest, I think the import idea is great (with hopes that SageTV will eventually incorporate this capability into the main product).
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-02-2006, 08:57 AM
dflachbart dflachbart is offline
SageTVaholic
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Brookfield, CT
Posts: 2,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by aperry
So, what happens when you get to the end? If you want to watch the show again, does it start over from the beginning?
It will start from wherever you pressed 'stop' the last time (or not start if you didnt stop the playback at all, since then there is no time saved, and you are at the end of the file)


Quote:
Originally Posted by aperry
You know, I really wish there were a feature throughout Sage that would have resume/start over options in the pop-up menu instead of just Watch Now. 95% of the time, the way that Sage does it is fine, but if someone else in the house watched the show for 45 minutes, then I either have to set watched so Sage will start over, or bump back 10-30 seconds per bump until I get back to the beginning.
I am using nielm's Multi-function stop import, which has a "Restart Playback" option. I never used it, but I assume if there is a little bit of play time left on your recording you could simply start and stop and select this option to get back to the beginning ...


Dirk
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-02-2006, 02:03 PM
White94Cobra's Avatar
White94Cobra White94Cobra is offline
Sage Expert
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: West Coast
Posts: 557
This would be very cool. One of the main reasons that I still use Meedio for watching my ripped movies. Now if I could just get Nero MP4 or AVC files to playback in Sage
__________________
----------------------------------------------
Core2Quad Q6600 @ 3GHz, 4 Gig DDR2-800, 8.5 TB storage, 8800GTS PCIe, Windows 7 32bit, Hauppauge HD-PVR, Hauppauge HVR-2250, HD-HomeRun, Fusion 5 USB Gold ATSC, SageTV v7.x, HD100, HD200, HD300, 60" Mitsubishi DLP
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-02-2006, 02:17 PM
Humanzee's Avatar
Humanzee Humanzee is offline
Sage Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: North Idaho
Posts: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by flachbar
Hmm, let me see if I got this right ... You mean that you have one video which is split into multiple files, which are stored in different directories, correct ?
No I have one import directory, it contains many files and folders. Some of the imported videos that I have are multi part. I might have a folder called "d:\sageimports\reallylongmovie\" which might contain two or three files reallylongmovie.disk1.mpg and reallylongmovie.disk2.mpg.

When you load up a video to play you have to choose the file for disk 1 or disk 2. I don't think you can select "play all". Anyway you can get around this by creating a play list in the Sage Video Imports menu. The only problem is that there is only one play list for all of the recordings. So if you have many folders with multiple files you have to clear the play list before you can use it with another video. Or make a really long playlist with all your video's but then you'd have to skip through a bunch of them to get to the one you actually want to watch.

I was just hoping that some how there would be a way to create a seperate play list for each sub-folder in your imports directory, instead of just one master play list. Since you are making notes about the playback possition, I thought maybe there would be a way to also make a note about which file to play after the current file ends.

Just brainstorming consepts that might make the imported video area work a little better.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-02-2006, 02:49 PM
dflachbart dflachbart is offline
SageTVaholic
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Brookfield, CT
Posts: 2,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanzee
When you load up a video to play you have to choose the file for disk 1 or disk 2. I don't think you can select "play all". Anyway you can get around this by creating a play list in the Sage Video Imports menu. The only problem is that there is only one play list for all of the recordings. So if you have many folders with multiple files you have to clear the play list before you can use it with another video. Or make a really long playlist with all your video's but then you'd have to skip through a bunch of them to get to the one you actually want to watch.
Ahh, ok now I got it. Didn't even know that there is a playlist for imported videos in SageTV ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanzee
I was just hoping that some how there would be a way to create a seperate play list for each sub-folder in your imports directory, instead of just one master play list. Since you are making notes about the playback possition, I thought maybe there would be a way to also make a note about which file to play after the current file ends.

Just brainstorming consepts that might make the imported video area work a little better.
Well, I guess some of the hooks could be the same, but I thinks that this really calls for a completely separate plugin ... Certainly not high priority for me since I dont use the playlist, but I could do some brainstorming ...

Dirk
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-02-2006, 06:51 PM
laurenglenn's Avatar
laurenglenn laurenglenn is offline
Sage Expert
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Levittown, PA
Posts: 601
Send a message via AIM to laurenglenn Send a message via MSN to laurenglenn
Quote:
Originally Posted by flachbar
It will start from wherever you pressed 'stop' the last time (or not start if you didnt stop the playback at all, since then there is no time saved, and you are at the end of the file)
Dirk
OK, but can you add a feature so that it still writes it if Sage either crashes or when you just start a new file?

Lauren
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-03-2006, 02:42 AM
Wheemer's Avatar
Wheemer Wheemer is offline
Sage Icon
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Deer Lake, NL, Canada
Posts: 1,493
This will be a much needed great addition!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-03-2006, 07:14 AM
dflachbart dflachbart is offline
SageTVaholic
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Brookfield, CT
Posts: 2,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurenglenn
OK, but can you add a feature so that it still writes it if Sage either crashes
When Sage crashes then its already too late to do anything ... The only way to get close to this is to spawn another thread which will write the current time periodically during playback, but I don't want to add complexity which would only be needed in rare circumstances ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurenglenn
or when you just start a new file?
You mean while you are playing a video, you go back to the video library and start another video without stopping the first one ? I'll have a look if I can catch this ...


Dirk
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-03-2006, 09:38 PM
dflachbart dflachbart is offline
SageTVaholic
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Brookfield, CT
Posts: 2,743
The import is done , I added the zip file and installation instructions to the first post. I have tested it with the stock 4.1 STV, and in combination with nielm's Multi-function stop import.

Hope you like it ,

Dirk
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-06-2006, 07:22 PM
Halstead Halstead is offline
Sage Advanced User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Portland, Or
Posts: 183
Will this work for DVD playback?
__________________
Halstead York

HTPC/Server: A8 3850; Win 7 Home x86 + Java 1.6.0_26; Sage 7.1.9; Driving Epson 8500 pj @ 1080p | Office: Core2Duo E8500 w/ EFI-X running OS X 10.5 & Win 7 Pro x64 (dual boot) + Java 1.6.0_20; Sage 7.0.23; Driving 30" Samsung 1900x1200 monitor
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2003-2005 SageTV, LLC. All rights reserved.