SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 12-14-2010, 09:37 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
Then, please see the forum rules, particularly item #1 about remaining civil instead of appearing to be insulting.

Padding is the same on the server & client. The extra feature for default padding for new Favs & MRs also applies to all clients. However, the hidden extras have to be enabled on each client in order for all clients to actually use the default padding settings -- that is an extra feature, after all, not a supported standard feature.

- Andy
OK. when I get home today will try to enter the code again on the client. I tried 4 times before and it would not show me the extra features that the server did.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:32 AM
Sage User

I am a bit confused here. (nothing unusual about that!). It would appear from what Sharky says that the default padding (V7) for manual recordings is set on the CLIENT, not the server, & has to be enabled through the secret UI features. I have an HD300 & have enabled the feature there, but the padding does not apply to recordings set through the WebUI which runs on the server?

It would seem sensible to make default padding a server setting since it is the DEFAULT & should therefore apply to all manual recordings & not be dependent on which interface I use to set the recording up.

Default padding is more or less essential in the UK where program timings are often a running a bit late.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:45 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by keefb View Post
I have an HD300 & have enabled the feature there, but the padding does not apply to recordings set through the WebUI which runs on the server?

It would seem sensible to make default padding a server setting since it is the DEFAULT & should therefore apply to all manual recordings & not be dependent on which interface I use to set the recording up.
It is a server property setting, so that all clients see the same setting.

However, it is a part of the hidden features in the default STV, not the core, thus no other custom UI based on a totally different STV or any other form of interaction with SageTV is going to use that default MR padding unless it too reads & uses the default server-based padding properties like the default STV does.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:50 AM
Sage User

Andy,

Thanks for the quick reply. Whilst I see what you are saying, does this mean that the webui which runs on the server, applies the default padding or is it classed as a different STV? From my recent experience, it doesn't seem to apply default padding on manual recordings.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:01 PM
SageTVaholic

The settings from the webui are done on a show by show basis or on a favorite by favorite basis. You set them at the time of creation. I'm not sure it would support the extra features default padding.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:13 AM
Sage User

Gerry,

Many thanks for this information. I didn't even know the setting existed. It's not the most intuitive approach. Set the recording, then click the record option again to reveal the padding. I don't mind too much having to set padding each time, as long as I can actually do it.

I naively thought that if I set the DEFAULT padding for the server it would be the default! Hey-ho, that's SageTV. Never a dull moment! After all, it would be really boring if it just did what you expected each time, every time. However, it's still the "least worst" PVR. & the HD200/300 is an inspired little box.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:16 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I naively thought that if I set the DEFAULT padding for the server it would be the default! Hey-ho, that's SageTV. Never a dull moment! After all, it would be really boring if it just did what you expected each time, every time.
Bear in mind that the web UI you're complaining about is a third-party add-on. If it's not respecting the default padding set by the stock UI, your snark should be directed to the plugin author, not to the Sage devs.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:27 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKusnick View Post
Bear in mind that the web UI you're complaining about is a third-party add-on. If it's not respecting the default padding set by the stock UI, your snark should be directed to the plugin author, not to the Sage devs.
And I don't think he would even see your snark since his (nielm) last post here appears to have been in July of 2009.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:43 AM
Sage User

I'm not trying to knock anybody. It just seems illogical that something that's called DEFAULT isn't really default. It depends on what UI you use. IE it's implemented by the UI NOT by the server. That's what I see as illogical. I am fully aware that the webUI is a third party app & Nielm has done a good job with it. He has implemented the padding feature in a way I don't find intuitive. If default padding had been implemented as a server feature by Sage you'd have set it once & then Nielm wouln't have had to provide a way to set it for each manual recording.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:16 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
IE it's implemented by the UI NOT by the server.
Seems like an appropriate division of labor to me. The core provides the basic recording engine and the ability to create favorites; the UI provides the bells & whistles that allow you to customize how favorites are created. Different UIs might legitimately have different ideas of what default padding should mean; for instance you might want different defaults per channel, or per genre (more padding for sports, say), or whatever. Seems to me those decisions are best left up to the UI designer, not hard-coded in the core.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:09 PM
Sage Advanced User

Padding is working fine in that the recording starts per my padding instructions. However, when I play the recording, it starts at the "normal" time and I have to rewind to the watch to see the show from the point where the padding began.

For example, shows starts at 11:00 and I pad 3 minutes. The recording starts at 10:57 but when I watch the show, it starts playing at 11:00. I need to rewind to see it from 10:57.

Ideas?
Old 02-12-2011, 12:44 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjames View Post
Padding is working fine in that the recording starts per my padding instructions. However, when I play the recording, it starts at the "normal" time and I have to rewind to the watch to see the show from the point where the padding began.
That's by design. The default is (and should be) to start from the scheduled airing time. I rarely have to back up more than a few seconds to find the actual beginning. The padding is just insurance, and does not mean I actually want to watch those few minutes of commercials between shows.
Old 02-12-2011, 01:08 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
That's by design. The default is (and should be) to start from the scheduled airing time. I rarely have to back up more than a few seconds to find the actual beginning. The padding is just insurance, and does not mean I actually want to watch those few minutes of commercials between shows.
Interesting. Most shows we record start 1-3 minutes early. Maybe there should be an option when adding padding before the show to decide if you want to watch the show from the beginning or from the beginning of the padding.
Old 02-12-2011, 01:23 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjames View Post
Interesting. Most shows we record start 1-3 minutes early. Maybe there should be an option when adding padding before the show to decide if you want to watch the show from the beginning or from the beginning of the padding.
Maybe it depends on where you live. In the US, the major TV providers start programs within seconds of their scheduled start times. If that's not your experience, you might want to check that your PC clock is set correctly and configure it to synchronize periodically with an external time source.

If you're someplace where the schedule is routinely wrong by a couple of minutes, it should still be just a matter of one or two clicks of the Big Skip Back button to get back to the start of the padding.

It would also be possible to create a plugin that does that automatically, but I don't know offhand if such a plugin exists.
Old 02-12-2011, 02:06 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Maybe it depends on where you live. In the US, the major TV providers start programs within seconds of their scheduled start times. If that's not your experience, you might want to check that your PC clock is set correctly and configure it to synchronize periodically with an external time source.
I have my SageTV server set to sync with NIST.

Last week:
30 Rock 13 seconds - ok not a huge deal
Harry's Law - 1:12 early
Hawaii 5-0 - 23 seconds
Outsourced - 10 seconds late

Those are the only ones left to watch. I'll keep track.
Quote:
If you're someplace where the schedule is routinely wrong by a couple of minutes, it should still be just a matter of one or two clicks of the Big Skip Back button to get back to the start of the padding.
I appreciate the work around and we are aware of the ability to skip

I guess the $115 I used to pay for Directv paid for people who thought we started to record a show early to watch it early

While I like that "feature", it's over priced
Old 02-14-2011, 02:03 PM
Sage Advanced User

I found this thread specific to OTA in my region. The relevant discussion starts at post 7683.
Old 02-14-2011, 02:21 PM
Sage User

Hi

My padding works fine, however the "ignore padding with back to back recordings on the same channel" doesn't.

e.g. I have two tuners and If I have two back to back recordings on 1 channel, and a third recording on another channel, I will always get a conflict, even though the ignore setting is yes.

Any help with this would be appreciated.

Also, does it have to be back to back on the same channel? To me the padding is for the odd occasion when programs overrun, or start early, so if I have default padding for 5 minutes before and after recordings, and i have two programs finishing at 8pm, and two starting at 8pm on different channels, it should ignore the padding on the programs finishing, and the programs starting to you all four programs, however the way it seems to work is that the programs starting at 8pm are conflicted out and not recorded.

Would be interested in ppl's thoughts on that as well.

Thanks

Mark
Old 02-14-2011, 07:29 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
That's by design. The default is (and should be) to start from the scheduled airing time.
While you state it with certainty, I believe that's a pretty subjective statement. IMO, if I'm smart enough to tell Sage to record an extra three minutes I think Sage should be smart enough to show me those extra three minutes, by default.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:27 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robomonkey View Post
Hi

My padding works fine, however the "ignore padding with back to back recordings on the same channel" doesn't.

e.g. I have two tuners and If I have two back to back recordings on 1 channel, and a third recording on another channel, I will always get a conflict, even though the ignore setting is yes.

Any help with this would be appreciated.

Also, does it have to be back to back on the same channel? To me the padding is for the odd occasion when programs overrun, or start early, so if I have default padding for 5 minutes before and after recordings, and i have two programs finishing at 8pm, and two starting at 8pm on different channels, it should ignore the padding on the programs finishing, and the programs starting to you all four programs, however the way it seems to work is that the programs starting at 8pm are conflicted out and not recorded.

Would be interested in ppl's thoughts on that as well.

Thanks

Mark
I ran into the same thing if you are talking about default padding and not padding on favorites.
When they added the default padding on all recordings (i.e. manual and Intelligent Recording) I thought !! However when I tried it I saw what you are seeing and had to go in and resolved literally dozens of conflicts every couple days.

So I shut off the default padding and just left the favorites padding turned on. That is one reason I now have over a hundred "favorites". Simply because the default padding didn't work very well. (IMHO)