SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 12-11-2019, 06:45 PM
Sage User

SageTV gets slow - v9 on Win7

Hello Loyal SageTVers,

I've been running SageTV forever (12+ years). I must admit, my rig is old. I'm running on Windows 7 with Version 9. My SageTV gets really slow about once or twice a week. I run it headless, so I RDP into the box and when it's slow, the memory usage is about 2+ GB. Looking at the task manager, it looks like there is a "windows" process svchost.exe that is using a majority of the memory. The fix is to reboot the machine. It's good for a little while and then gets slow. It's running Java 8 v101. My capture device is an HDHomerun Prime using CableCard. Anybody got any ideas about how to eliminate the slowness or what might be causing it. The box is solely used for SageTV. No internet browsing or other stuff going on in the box. I know the description is vague and it could be 1,000's of things. Just wondering if anyone has seen the same associated with something SageTV related.
Old 12-12-2019, 11:10 AM
Sage Expert

I am also running on a Win 7 box that is about 7 years old. I have 2 HDHomeRun Primes with Cablecards. I also use mine for shared folders, Plex and running backups. I only need to reboot every couple of months.

How much memory do you have on the machine? I have 4GB.
Client: HD300; Samsung UN46B7000
Client: Nexus Player / Mini-Client; Sony KDL-32L4000
Client: SageTV Placeshifter 7
Client: SageTV Client 9
Old 12-12-2019, 12:12 PM
Sage Icon

There are two things that tend to chew up a lot of memory with Sage. One is fan art, the other is mini-clients. Mini-clients are HDx00 extenders, Android mini-clients, and Placeshifter Clients. Each mini client that connects to a Sage server uses memory on the server (and using graphic heavy UIs with a lot of fan art on each mini client can compound the memory usage).

Full Windows Clients donít have the same impact on the Server memory.

Sometimes a misbehaving plug-in can also cause problems.

Do you have a lot of mini-clients? What UI are you using? Do you have a lot of plugins installed? If this is a new problem and everything was OK before, I would also look to see what changes have you made recently on that computer (new hardware, new software, changes to Sage settings, new plugins installed in Sage, etc.). Sometimes a hardware problem such as a bad hard drive or bad network interface can cause bottlenecks that result in slow performance and other strange behavior.
Source:
Comcast Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250
Old 12-15-2019, 07:43 AM
Sage User

Miniclients and hardware

Thanks for the responses. It's nice that this forum has such a loyal following. I can always count on good ideas coming from this group.

My memory is only about 1 GB and it's as old as the box. I have 3 HD200/300's. I use one Windows softclient. I wouldn't say that the problem is new, but it a gradually been getting worse over the years. I started out with a reboot due to slowness every month. Now, I reboot at least once or twice a week. I have had an issue lately where one of my hard drives with movies has been painfully slow. When I watch a movie from that hard drive, the movie glitches every 3 or 4 seconds. I do use the metadata plugin and comskip. Otherwise, I use the standard UI. You've given me a lot of good ideas. As I consider hardware updates, I almost think a new SageTV server might just be the way to go. Perhaps a nuclear approach. One thing I've been striving for is to have video capture and disk storage separate of the SageTV server. Capture is completely separate with HDHomerun Prime as a network interface. However, a few years ago I reverted from saving TV/Movies on a NAS back to a local hard drive located in the SageTV server. I found performance with the local disk (at least for TV shows) to be so much better. Ideally, it would be stored on a NAS.

I'll look at options to upgrade hardware on the server and see what my wallet can stand.

Thanks again for the posts.
Old 12-15-2019, 08:33 AM
Sage Icon

I found that 3 extenders (all running Gemstone, which uses more memory) was the breaking point for SageTV 32 bit (version 9). I recently upgraded to SageTV 64 bit, which was fairly painless, and bumped the java heap to 4096 MB as the machine has 16GB of memory. If you're running the stock UI on the extenders (not Gemstone or some other), then you could probably get away with 3 extenders on 32 bit Sage.

You definitely need more memory in that machine, regardless. What is the CPU?

Tags
sagetv java slowness