SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 05-18-2011, 09:52 AM
Sage Advanced User

Manual move of recording end pad problem

Hi all,

I've been shuffling some HHDs around in my WHS, trying to reduce the number of disks. Now i am recording to a (non duplicated) share in the storage pool (all storage pool disks formatted with 64K clusters).

I've added the new recording share/folder in SageTV, and new recordings are working fine.

As i understand it, i can manually move SageTV recordings from the old recording drives to the new recording folder. Perform a media scan (via the web server), and the files will show up in the recordings list in SageTV.

This works.

However, when i play a file that has been moved and rescanned, i notice that it has lost its recording pad at the end of the recording (the start recording pad is still there). It's not that just the marker info has been lost, that bit of the recording actually doesn't exist in the timeline any more. I've looked at several (moved) recordings, and they are all like this.

Any clues??

Cheers - mevans
Server: ASUS P7P55D, Core i5 750 2.66GHz, 4GB RAM, Antec Three Hundred, 1x TBS 6284 PCI-E DVB-T2 Quad (OTA HD 'Freeview'), 2x HD Homerun dual tuners (OTA SD 'Freeview'), WHS OS installed on Seagate 250GB SATAII, Recording to 9TB Storage Pool (64k clusters)
SageTV version: 7.1.9
HDHomerun's plugged into mobo NIC via giga switch
2nd NIC to home network
Program Guide: DigiGuide Birtles Grabber XMLTV Importer for SageTV
Clients: Two HD200, One HD300, Client on PC, Placeshifter on PC
Old 06-02-2011, 11:27 AM
Sage Advanced User

shameless bump

lots of people have had a look at this, but no replies
Server: ASUS P7P55D, Core i5 750 2.66GHz, 4GB RAM, Antec Three Hundred, 1x TBS 6284 PCI-E DVB-T2 Quad (OTA HD 'Freeview'), 2x HD Homerun dual tuners (OTA SD 'Freeview'), WHS OS installed on Seagate 250GB SATAII, Recording to 9TB Storage Pool (64k clusters)
2nd NIC to home network
Old 06-03-2011, 08:08 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mevans View Post
Hi all,

I've been shuffling some HHDs around in my WHS, trying to reduce the number of disks. Now i am recording to a (non duplicated) share in the storage pool (all storage pool disks formatted with 64K clusters).

I've added the new recording share/folder in SageTV, and new recordings are working fine.

As i understand it, i can manually move SageTV recordings from the old recording drives to the new recording folder. Perform a media scan (via the web server), and the files will show up in the recordings list in SageTV.

This works.

However, when i play a file that has been moved and rescanned, i notice that it has lost its recording pad at the end of the recording (the start recording pad is still there). It's not that just the marker info has been lost, that bit of the recording actually doesn't exist in the timeline any more. I've looked at several (moved) recordings, and they are all like this.

Any clues??

Cheers - mevans
Mevans

Your not alone. I do not have an answer but believe it may have to do with the recordings time stamp. I'm also using WHS and am experience this with certain recordings moved or not.

When the recording ends, minute or so from actually end, just hit the play button again. The end isn't missing but for some reason sage thinks the end of the recording is where it stopped.

Most of the recordings that exhibit this behaviour will also pause ramdomly during playback, for a second or so, 4 or 5 times during playback.

I use comskip and videoredo to cut commercials but it does not shorten the timeline reported by sage and this may be the likely cause. Sage has always been solid and this behaviour just recently began. At first I thought it was drive balancing that caused the pauses, since I too had been moving a lot of recordings from one place to another, but now I'm starting to suspect that sage is using these pauses to correct the timeline which is pushing the actuall end of the recording past the timeline. Most recordings that are affected will play up to 2 minutes longer and the timeline on the osd will show a negative countdown with the first portion of the osd in green.

BTW, I'm only experiencing this on a HD300 extender. Can not dupkicate on a client.

Good luck and I'll report back any findings I may have.

Mike
Old 06-09-2011, 03:30 AM
Sage Advanced User

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your comments.

Are there any other threads where this is being discussed? when I searched I couldn't find any.

I'm experiencing the problems of the missing end pad on Placeshifter and HD200.

When I was researching moving recordings, I didn't come across any mention of this kind of behaviour. It's a shame, because if I had, I would have made some different decisions...

Cheers

M
2nd NIC to home network
Old 06-10-2011, 05:12 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mevans View Post
Hi Mike,

Thanks for your comments.

Are there any other threads where this is being discussed? when I searched I couldn't find any.

I'm experiencing the problems of the missing end pad on Placeshifter and HD200.

When I was researching moving recordings, I didn't come across any mention of this kind of behaviour. It's a shame, because if I had, I would have made some different decisions...

Cheers

M
Mevans

Sorry, I've seen threads pertaining to timing and paddings but they didn't quite match the issues I was experiencing so I didn't take note of them.

I have discovered that removing videos from sage then bringing them back as imported videos has solved my early ending problem. This has also solved the problem with the timeline reporting a 45 minute video being an hour long.

I'm using BMT to fetch metadata and fanart for imported videos so in the UI it really hasn't changed anything.

If I find anything I report back here.

Good Luck
Mike

Tags
folder, move recordings, whs