SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 04-28-2008, 04:46 PM
Sage User

Automatic timeout to kill live TV ?

I would like one of my clients to automatically "stop" live tv if nothing has been pressed for a while (let's say 2 hours). This would "free up" a tuner that might otherwise be stuck on live tv forever... Does anyone know of any way of accomplishing this? Thanks in advance.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:02 PM
Sage Icon

This is not natively supported by Sage.

There is a customization that adds Sleep Timer Functionality: http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16310

I have not tried it myself, but it seems sort of like what you are asking for...

Just so you know, it may not always be a big deal if you leave live tv running. Sage handles this situation pretty gracefully. For example, say you have only 1 tuner and you have a show scheduled to record at 8:00pm (manual or favorite). Let's also suppose you are watching some live tv on a different channel at 7:30pm. At about 7:58pm, Sage will automatically pop-up a message asking you if it is OK for Sage to change the channel at 8:00 to record the other show. If you choose "NO", you get to keep watching live tv and your other show won't get recorded. If you choose "YES", the message gos away and when 8:00 rolls around, Sage just changes the channel and records your show. If you don't do anything (because maybe you left the room and didn't see the message), Sage will leave the message there until 8:00 at which time it decides for you and changes the channel, giving priority to the pre-scheduled recording. I have tested this functionality and it works.

This sort of thing holds true with multiple tuners too, but I wanted to keep the example simple.

One scenario I haven't tested where your idea may be useful is the situation where you have more clients than tuners. Say you have (again) only 1 tuner, but you have a couple of clients (or media extenders) in different rooms. If you leave one client turned on and "watching" live TV I don't know what will happen if someone attempts to use one of the other clients to watch live tv also. I would guess that the second client would a message that there are no tuners available and the first client would stay connected. A second possibility is that the 2nd client would get the option to "steal" the tuner and bump the 1st client.
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 04-29-2008, 02:14 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
I would guess that the second client would a message that there are no tuners available and the first client would stay connected.
This is exactly what happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
A second possibility is that the 2nd client would get the option to "steal" the tuner and bump the 1st client.
This would be the ideal functionality for me.