SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 01-23-2004, 10:13 PM
Sage Icon

Arrow Please - How do I use PVR-350 TV out in 2.0?

I have installed the 2.0 beta and for the life of me can't seem to get the TV-Out to work on the PVR-350. I have two 250s and a 350 and had sage running fine in 1.4.10 on the tv out of my nvidia card. I never tried to get the 350 tv out to work before. I installed the latest drivers from shspvr etc. I just don't know what the settings should be in Sage and how to go about enabling it. Tried editing the properties file by setting the 350 osd value to true but that didn't seem to work. It isn't crashing or anything like that so it is probably a stupid human error on my part. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 01-23-2004, 11:07 PM
Sage Icon

Go to Setup then Detailed Setup. Select Multimedia from the list of items on the left. Make sure that "Enable TV Out for PVR-350" is Enabled and "Hardware Decoding Only" is Disabled. Quit out of SageTV and open the .properties file (I have had SageTV lockup if I try this next step from the UI). Find the line that says:

videoframe/enable_pvr350_osd=

and make sure that it is set to 'true'

In order to get things to fit on my TV set, I also have the following set to deal with the TV's overscan:

ui/ui_overscan_correction_offset_x=35
ui/ui_overscan_correction_offset_y=33
ui/ui_overscan_correction_perct_height=0.87
ui/ui_overscan_correction_perct_width=0.90

You will want to fiddle with these last settings to fit your TV set.
Old 01-23-2004, 11:19 PM
Sage Icon

When I go to the Multimedia section of the detailed setup I don't see either of the options you mentioned: Enable TV-out for pvr 350 or Hardware decoding only.
Old 01-24-2004, 04:30 AM
Sage User

Don't know why you aren't getting video out through the PVR-350. Mine seems to be working fine. I just went to Setup>Detailed Setup>Multimedia and then enabled "Enable TV Out for PVR-350" and also enabled "Enable UI on TV Out of PVR..." to enable the onscreen GUI for the menus (love it, by the way!). I then clicked on "Adjust" next to Overscan Settings so that the onscreen menus fit properly within my TV set. I didn't mess with the properties file at all.

comprat
Old 01-24-2004, 06:50 AM
Sage Icon

Yeah it is strange...Maybe Narflex can shed some light on this. Maybe it isn't showing up because of my other 250 cards in the machine.
Old 01-24-2004, 10:09 AM
Sage User

I also do not see the Enable TV-out for pvr 350 or Hardware decoding only options. I have 2 pvr-250s and 1 pvr-350.
Old 01-24-2004, 11:09 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally posted by hamptonhills
I also do not see the Enable TV-out for pvr 350 or Hardware decoding only options. I have 2 pvr-250s and 1 pvr-350.
I see the options. But they do not seem to have any effect.

Also, what happened to the FULL SCREEN button?

M2S
Old 01-25-2004, 02:56 PM
Sage User

I don't know if it matters, but did you guys install Sage version 2 fresh (ie uninstall 1.4, then install 2.0), or did you install ver2 over a previous version? I did a fresh install. Probably doesn't matter, but it might.

comprat
Old 01-25-2004, 03:48 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally posted by comprat
I don't know if it matters, but did you guys install Sage version 2 fresh (ie uninstall 1.4, then install 2.0), or did you install ver2 over a previous version? I did a fresh install. Probably doesn't matter, but it might.

comprat
I got mine working. You have to switch back to GUIDE a couple times before it comes up. But there was such a bad ghost image, even with the new SHS drivers installed.

M2S
Old 01-28-2004, 06:41 PM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via AIM to krutaw
Quote:
Originally posted by Myth2Sage
I got mine working. You have to switch back to GUIDE a couple times before it comes up. But there was such a bad ghost image, even with the new SHS drivers installed.

M2S
I'm the proud owner of a brand-spankin' new PVR-350. YAY! So here's the skinny. I too had to jump back and forth in the guide a few times to get it to work the first time.

My only problem is that once I got it to work, it only works for like a few seconds before flipping out and showing what could only be described as "Sky-Blue Corderoy". It doesn't matter if I'm watching a pre-recorded video or live tv, it happens within 30 seconds of starting to watch the video.

Ideas?

Andy Kruta A+, CNA, MCSA, Network+, RHCE

"It's kinda fun to do the impossible"
- Walt Disney
Old 01-28-2004, 10:30 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally posted by krutaw
I'm the proud owner of a brand-spankin' new PVR-350. YAY! So here's the skinny. I too had to jump back and forth in the guide a few times to get it to work the first time.

My only problem is that once I got it to work, it only works for like a few seconds before flipping out and showing what could only be described as "Sky-Blue Corderoy". It doesn't matter if I'm watching a pre-recorded video or live tv, it happens within 30 seconds of starting to watch the video.

Ideas?
What you are probably seeing is the same ghost image that I see.

Compare these pics:

COMPONENT

PVR 350 TV-Out

If you look at the PVR 350 pic, just past the PLAY DVD words, you can see the ghost image.

Is that what you are referring to as "Sky Blue Corderoy"??

M2S
Old 01-28-2004, 10:48 PM
Sage Icon

I just tried somewhat fresh...removed the frey technologies folder then installed 2.0 and the option still doesn't show up in the multimedia setup section. Does anyone know how Sage goes about making this option visible? Is it somehow detecting my hardware.
Another note/question:
I noticed at my friend's house that in device manager the hauppauge cards had different names compared to mine on my machine. Mine are called:

Hauppauge WinTV PVR PCI II (Encoder)
Hauppauge WinTV PVR PCI II (Encoder/Decoder)

(the first two being the 250s and the 3rd being the 350)

What do the devices show up as for the rest of you?

Quote:
Originally posted by comprat

comprat
Old 01-28-2004, 10:56 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally posted by ToxMox
I just tried somewhat fresh...removed the frey technologies folder then installed 2.0 and the option still doesn't show up in the multimedia setup section. Does anyone know how Sage goes about making this option visible? Is it somehow detecting my hardware.
Another note/question:
I noticed at my friend's house that in device manager the hauppauge cards had different names compared to mine on my machine. Mine are called:

Hauppauge WinTV PVR PCI II (Encoder/Decoder)

(the first two being the 250s and the 3rd being the 350)

What do the devices show up as for the rest of you?
I have pulled my 250 out and haven't played with it in a few days. But, if I recall correctly, it was called Hauppauge WinTV PVR PCI II (Encoder 16) or somthing like that. I am going to put it in tomorrow and I'll let you know..

M2S
Old 01-28-2004, 11:13 PM
Sage Icon

Encoder-16 is what my 250's show and Encoder/Decoder for the 350. These names are in defined in the driver files as is the Encoder shown in the post. It is probably a type 15 250 card.
Server : Intel Core i7 2.8 GHz Processor: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Motherboard: 6 GB Memory : 1 120 GB Intel SSD :3 2 TB WD hard drives:1 Hauppauge PVR 2250: 3 HDHomeRuns:1 HD300 extender;1 HD200 extender;1 HD100 extender 2 MVP Media Extenders: Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium all updates applied, SageTV V7.1.7.254.
Old 01-28-2004, 11:20 PM
Sage User

Have you installed the latest PVR drivers (v1.8)? I did not get the options until I installed them.
Old 01-29-2004, 12:14 AM

You could try disabling your 250's, and/or even removing them from Sage. This would leave Sage with only the 350 and should force it to see the 350. The options should then be forced to show up. If this worked you could then setup your 350's output and then re-enable/re-add the 250s.

It might be worth a try. Particulary if you can get it working and it turned out to be a repeatable issue. This could help Jeff figure out why some 350 owners with 250s aren't seeing the options. This is all just speculation based on the guess that Sage is only diapaying those options when it thinks there is a 350 present.
Old 01-29-2004, 03:06 AM
Sage Icon

Make sure enable 3d accelleration is turned off. I had it on, and messed with it for an hour tonight. Turned that option off, h/w only, 350 out, and gui on everything has been working extremely well. I installed everything as the manual stated, backed up my settings etc. and installed the mp3 update.

Awesome version. I am amazed by the PQ with the 350, I'm at 2.5GB/hr, and it's sweet!

PS. anyone else not getting their video resized in the PIP in the guide or recordings? probably a known thing, but wasn't sure.

Also, my system is a sage dedicated, A7NX8-E deluxe 2600+, gforce4mx440, 512mb. No server running. W2K.

Last edited by Crashless; 01-29-2004 at 03:08 AM.
Old 01-29-2004, 06:34 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
What you are probably seeing is the same ghost image that I see.

Compare these pics:

COMPONENT

PVR 350 TV-Out

If you look at the PVR 350 pic, just past the PLAY DVD words, you can see the ghost image.

Is that what you are referring to as "Sky Blue Corderoy"??

M2S
Nope, yours looks wonderful compared to mine. When I play for more than about 30 seconds now, it's like someone is doing a close-up shot of a pair of sky-blue corderoy pants. Basically, I've got nothing but vertical lines that are less than 1/8th of an inch thick that alternate in color between about sky blue and grey-ish white. Once this happens, the menu no longer works properly on the tv-out from the 350, and I end up having to reboot to even get the menu back.

On a side note, the menus seem to work great on the 350 as long as I don't try and watch a video, go figure. lol

Anyway, last night I decided to start completely from scratch, and slapped in a new 40gb drive I had laying around and pulled my previous boot drive. I got everything installed and realized that I didn't keep a copy of my registration.

Well, as soon as Jeff and the gang respond to my email begging for my registration information, I will be back at it.

Wow, my head hurts.

- Walt Disney
Old 01-29-2004, 06:43 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally posted by krutaw
Nope, yours looks wonderful compared to mine. When I play for more than about 30 seconds now, it's like someone is doing a close-up shot of a pair of sky-blue corderoy pants. Basically, I've got nothing but vertical lines that are less than 1/8th of an inch thick that alternate in color between about sky blue and grey-ish white. Once this happens, the menu no longer works properly on the tv-out from the 350, and I end up having to reboot to even get the menu back.

On a side note, the menus seem to work great on the 350 as long as I don't try and watch a video, go figure. lol

Anyway, last night I decided to start completely from scratch, and slapped in a new 40gb drive I had laying around and pulled my previous boot drive. I got everything installed and realized that I didn't keep a copy of my registration.

Well, as soon as Jeff and the gang respond to my email begging for my registration information, I will be back at it.

Wow, my head hurts.
Doubtful it will work for you cuz your problem sounds a lot diff then mine, but what the hell.. Worth a shot..

Try using (if possible) a different input on your TV.

M2S
Old 01-29-2004, 06:49 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Doubtful it will work for you cuz your problem sounds a lot diff then mine, but what the hell.. Worth a shot..

Try using (if possible) a different input on your TV.

M2S
M2S,

Thnks for the quick response. Unfortunately, tried that last night in desperation. Oh well. That's okay though, because I really needed to rebuild the OS on the sagetv anyway, and it gave me a chance to put a bigger boot drive in. hehe

- Walt Disney