SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 09-29-2004, 08:24 AM
Sage User

Unhappy SageTV keeps locking up system when fast forwarding or rewinding!

I am having a very annoying problem with SageTV. Quite often when I fast forward or rewind, either clicking on the bar, FF/RW icons, or using my remote, Sage will freeze and my entire computer will lock up solid, requiring me to reboot. Also, after viewing a recorded program, when the program ends, Sage virtually slows to a crawl. The program is almost unresponsive, and I need to restart it to make it function normally again.

I tried uninstalling/reinstalling Sage (both version 2.0.20 and 2.0.10), uninstalling/reinstalling Java Runtime environment, uninstalling/reinstalling all Hauppauge drivers, decoders and programs, using the latest versions on Hauppauge's website. I don't know what else to do besides wiping my system clean and doing a complete reinstall of Windows which I just did a month ago. I finally gave up and am using the WinTV program to view my recorded programs.

My configuration/hardware is as follows:
Hauppauge PVR-350
Windows XP Pro
Athlon 64 3000
1GB RAM

Any help or suggestions would be appreciative!!

Thanks!
comprat
Old 09-29-2004, 08:31 AM
SageTVaholic

did you do the driver clean process as recommended by SHS? http://www.shspvr.com/forum/viewforu...ec414caf130e28

Which version of the 350 drivers are you using?

Are you using the 350 for tv-out?
Old 09-29-2004, 08:46 AM
Administrator

And, if you aren't using the 350 for tv-out, are you using the nvdvd audio decoder? If so, try changing to another audio decoder.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 09-29-2004, 09:23 AM
Sage User

Thanks for your reply!

As stated previously, I am using the latest drivers including the following from Hauppauge's website
pvr250_18A_inf.zip
PVR250_18_22170.exe

When you say driver clean process from SHS, are you referring to the following?:

Quoted from a post by SHS:

-------------------------------------------------------
How do good uninstall with older drv and app.
In this kit I add a new file called hcw_unregister.bat.
1: Run hcw_unregister.bat.
2: Uninstall everything from Add/Remove Progams with the words Hauppauge and InterVideo FilterSDK.
3: Run hcwclear.exe.
4: Reboot.
5: DO NOT cancel hardware wizard un-check all Option Search location so that it dosen't fine anything, re-run hcwclear.exe one more time dbl check everything over.
6: Check the registry by searching for the words hcw, wintv, globespan and hauppauge "Note: DON NOT REMOVE the registry key hcw4.0".
7: Check the Device Mangaer for (?) if you see one rigth click uninstall it.
8: Reboot now ready to install new drv and app.

-------------------------------------------------------

No, I haven't tried the above. I'll give it a try.

Thanks!
comprat
Old 09-29-2004, 09:26 AM
SageTVaholic

... yeah, and the typical advice is to use the latest drivers from shspvr.com, rather than hauppauge... I can't vouch for anything recent or the state of affairs with a 350, but the latest on shspvr has always been better for me than the latest on hauppauge. Go figure.
Old 09-29-2004, 09:27 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
And, if you aren't using the 350 for tv-out, are you using the nvdvd audio decoder? If so, try changing to another audio decoder.

- Andy

Forgot to mention that I am using the PVR-350 for TV-OUT. Also, I used Cyberlink audio decoder which I assume is from PowerDVD which I have installed, and I have also tried the Intervideo audio decoder as well.

Thanks Again!
comprat
Old 09-29-2004, 09:19 PM
Sage Advanced User

All my lockup problems (the same as yours) went away when I turned off the UI on the TV OUT on the 350. I would love to have the UI on my TV screen, but it locked up about 10 times per night. Now with the UI turned off, I get about 1 lockup every 2 days.

I hope this is something that can be fixed by somebody in the future, I really miss the UI. I don't know where the problem lies - Hauppage, SageTV etc...

Try turning off the UI and let me know if it cuts down your lockups.

Steve
Old 09-29-2004, 10:33 PM
Sage Fanatic

Sorry not to be negative, but I largely suspect the problem is the PVR 350 Drivers from Hauppauge. They have notoriously bad drivers.

I personally think that Frey should give Hauppauge notice and tell them that they have X amount of time to resolve the problems with PVR 350 drivers and make them work for all machines or terminate all sales of the PVR 350 and allow anyone who purchased the PVR 350 through their store to return them or exchange them for a PVR 250 and the difference in price.

If I had purchased the PVR 350 I would return as I would not hold my breath on Hauppauge or Sage Resolving this issue as it has been around since 2.0 Beta started.

John
Living Room: WinXP Pro SP2, AMD XP3200+, 1GB, 1.3TB 3ware 9500S12 RAID5, GigaByte GA7N400Pro2, 2xVBOX USB2 HD Tuner<-Antennna, 1xHDHR<-Antennna , HD100 to HDMI Splitter 1080i->32" 4:3 HDTV or 1080i->92" 1080P LCD Projector
Kitchen: WinXP Home SP2, Celeron 2.0Ghz, 512MB, 40GB, Saphire ATI MB, ATI9200->19"LCD
2 BedRooms: MediaMVP
Old 09-30-2004, 01:13 PM
Sage Advanced User

It's definetely the 350 UI. I've had the same problem with my system, though it only happens to me now on occaison. Maybe once or twice per month. When it does happen I notice that the pc temps have creeped high. Keeping the 350 cooler seems to help a bit. Frey and Hauppauge are both aware of it and are supposedly working on it.

You may also want to try the newer drivers posted on Sage's website (they have a newer driver than Hauppauge has posted). You can always roll them back if it doesn't help.

Last edited by pcuoco; 09-30-2004 at 01:16 PM.
Old 09-30-2004, 01:49 PM
Sage Advanced User

I had a similar problem caused by Norton Anti-Virus AutoProtect being enabled. It was using up large chunks of memory cumulatively every time I FF or RW (verified in Task Manager), causing my computer to slow to a crawl, and sometimes seem to lock up. Just for kicks, try turning off AutoProtect. If that works, you can get the free AVG AntiVirus for active protection. I found my whole system is more responsive. I still use Norton for my weekly scans though.
Old 09-30-2004, 01:53 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgorrell
I had a similar problem caused by Norton Anti-Virus AutoProtect being enabled. It was using up large chunks of memory cumulatively every time I FF or RW (verified in Task Manager), causing my computer to slow to a crawl, and sometimes seem to lock up. Just for kicks, try turning off AutoProtect.
You can configure it to just exclude the SageTV video directories w/o having to shut NAV off completely.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 09-30-2004, 01:54 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgorrell
I had a similar problem caused by Norton Anti-Virus AutoProtect being enabled. It was using up large chunks of memory cumulatively every time I FF or RW (verified in Task Manager), causing my computer to slow to a crawl, and sometimes seem to lock up. Just for kicks, try turning off AutoProtect. If that works, you can get the free AVG AntiVirus for active protection. I found my whole system is more responsive. I still use Norton for my weekly scans though.
While I've heard of and experience non-350-related problems with NAV scanning the video directories, this is the first I've heard of a connection between NAV and the 350. Interesting.
Old 09-30-2004, 09:20 PM
Sage Advanced User

I never said I had a 350. It may not be related to that. I use a 250. From past talk on this forum though, NAV Auto-protect probably affects everyone negatively. If you use this, open task manager and watch your memory usage during playback, FF, and RW with Auto-protect enabled vs. Auto-protect disabled. This same problem affects video playback in all programs, not to mention MP3, games, and anything else that uses large files. By disabling Auto-protect, everything is a little faster, but SageTV benefits the most. AVG anti-virus is a good alternative resident protection. McAfee has the same problem as NAV.
Old 10-01-2004, 01:16 PM
Sage Aficionado

Your problem is not the card it is the Cyberlink decoders you are using. I had those same issues with system freeze-ups happening when ffd'ing & rwd'ing. I use the haupauge video decoders without any problems. I know there are a lot of people using the NVidia decoders sucessfully too. I have my audio decoder set to default.

Hope that helps.
Old 10-01-2004, 01:54 PM
Sage Aficionado

The problem with the 350 is not heat. The 350 does have a big heatsink. Any chip that requires a heatsink has the potential for overheating if that heatsink was misapplied or came loose. So it's possible there could be a person who has 350 problems that are caused by overheating, just like your videocard could overheat if it's heatsink came loose. But there really isn't any evidence for overheating with the 350.

The main reason people talk about overheating with the 350 is a thread that was started a few months ago. The person seemed to fix the lockups by using a fan. But then later, he still had lockups, in turned out. So the motherboard chipset or something else was probably overheating. I have used the 350 with both fans and without and get the same lockup problems. I have used my 350 for a couple months without the fans, and for several months including the present with the fans, and the problems are identical. The fan setup I use is the card cooler. It has two fans that blow directly onto the cards, and there's no way it could be overheating there, unless we're talking about some major problem with the chip that would allow it to overheat no matter what you did. So what I'm saying is that you're not going to be able to fix the 350 lockups with a fan.

The problem is that we're using the card in a way that it was never meant to be used. It really does not do well with changing data streams like would happen with RW/FF. It could be something like a cache or timing problem with the chip. Maybe drivers could fix this, maybe not. I would guess that we'll probably never get drivers that solve the problem, because, if they were possible, they'd be out by now. This product has been out for a long time now. Almost everyone report problems with the 350. I think most of the people who don't report problems either just define success differently (i.e. not considering lockups a problem if they only happen every few days) or they are not using their systems very often or using them differently (i.e. maybe they watch mostly movies on the movie channels where fastforwarding is not necessary). The longest time my system has gone without a 350 lockup is 11 days. Normally, I get a lockup every 5 or 6 days. If we only watched movies on the movie channels, I could probably go 6 months at a time without a lockup.
Old 10-04-2004, 03:00 AM
Sage Aficionado

Try changing the audio decoder to default.

I have a PVR 350 and I just recently had to reinstall windows due to a drive failure. My Sage system was working fine before the drive crash and when
i reinstalled everything I was having a similar problem. I couldn't even FF/RR more than 2-3 times before the system would crash.

If when it locked up I kept pressing buttons long enough on the rarest of occasions I would get a Directshow error message from Sage. I searched the forum for the error message and found an older post from Narflex trying to solve an issue for someone getting the same error I occasionly got. One of his suggestions was to be sure that your audio decoder was set to defaut something about timing errors if I recall. When I was reconfiguring Sage I couldn't remember the setting I used for the audio decoder so I used SB Live or Directshow or something that sounded right. I just yesterday reset audio to default but so far its been working fine.

peace . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by comprat
I am having a very annoying problem with SageTV. Quite often when I fast forward or rewind, either clicking on the bar, FF/RW icons, or using my remote, Sage will freeze and my entire computer will lock up solid, requiring me to reboot. Also, after viewing a recorded program, when the program ends, Sage virtually slows to a crawl. The program is almost unresponsive, and I need to restart it to make it function normally again.

I tried uninstalling/reinstalling Sage (both version 2.0.20 and 2.0.10), uninstalling/reinstalling Java Runtime environment, uninstalling/reinstalling all Hauppauge drivers, decoders and programs, using the latest versions on Hauppauge's website. I don't know what else to do besides wiping my system clean and doing a complete reinstall of Windows which I just did a month ago. I finally gave up and am using the WinTV program to view my recorded programs.

My configuration/hardware is as follows:
Hauppauge PVR-350
Windows XP Pro
Athlon 64 3000
1GB RAM

Any help or suggestions would be appreciative!!

Thanks!
comprat
Old 10-04-2004, 11:55 PM
Sage Aficionado

I think you're on to something but what's interesting is that it's a lot harder on the machine to FF/REW the pvr-350 with the UI enabled.

Based on what I read in this thread I did a little experiment tonight.

I have a pvr-350 that I use 95% of the time and a nvidia 5200 in a AMD 2800/512k box that is a dedicated HTPC. No virus scanning.

I opened the taskmgr while running Sage and FF/REW back and forth continuously for at least 60 seconds.

While this FF/REW was going on the taskmgr showed that-

* pvr-350 tv out and UI disabled (software decoding only on the 5200) average cpu usage 15-16%

* pvr-350 tv out enabled UI DISabled (hardware decoding only) average cpu usage 17-18%

* pvr-350 tv out enabled/UI enabled (hardware decoding only) average cpu usage 80-90%

For whatever reason its a lot harder on the machine to FF/REW the pvr-350 with the UI enabled than without.

Why?

I don't know.

Third base.

peace . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz5
The problem is that we're using the card in a way that it was never meant to be used. It really does not do well with changing data streams like would happen with RW/FF. It could be something like a cache or timing problem with the chip. Maybe drivers could fix this, maybe not. I would guess that we'll probably never get drivers that solve the problem, because, if they were possible, they'd be out by now. This product has been out for a long time now. Almost everyone report problems with the 350. I think most of the people who don't report problems either just define success differently (i.e. not considering lockups a problem if they only happen every few days) or they are not using their systems very often or using them differently (i.e. maybe they watch mostly movies on the movie channels where fastforwarding is not necessary). The longest time my system has gone without a 350 lockup is 11 days. Normally, I get a lockup every 5 or 6 days. If we only watched movies on the movie channels, I could probably go 6 months at a time without a lockup.
Old 10-05-2004, 11:46 AM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via ICQ to remmy925 Send a message via AIM to remmy925 Send a message via Yahoo to remmy925
Thanks for the suggestion about NAV. Never thought the exclude the video directories, but thats not a bad idea...no use in having NAV analize the files slowing me down. I dont have lockups or anything, but I bet it would make playing back video more efficient. Thanks for the idea!