SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 06-08-2003, 02:15 AM
Sage User

New Actisys USB IR support?

I am considering getting an IR transfer device to control my Dish Network box, such as the Actisys IR-200L IR transmitter, but I have a couple questions.

1) Would the new Actisys IR-2000U/UL USB IR transmitters be compatible with SageTV? I would much rather use a USB IR device since serial is becoming obsolete, and many new motherboards don't even have serial ports. If it is not compatible, will there be support in SageTV for it in the future? I think it would be great if the USB version would work with SageTV!

2) According to the specs on the Actisys website, the IR devices have a communication range of up to 100cm. Now if my calculations are correct, that is only 3.3ft! That doesn't seem very practical to use for controlling a satellite box. Is there some way to "boost" the signal? I would need it to reach at least 12-14ft.

Thanks!
comprat
Old 06-08-2003, 01:30 PM
Sage

1 - Nope. The USB Actisys is not capable of transmitting in the correct format and so is incompatible from a hardware standpoint.

2 - I've got my Actisys about 5 ft from the cable box in one of my servers. I've had it across the room and it still works. You shouldn't have any problems.
Old 06-10-2003, 03:09 PM

I've just placed an order for a USB IR blaster/receicer, because I hate serial ports and need the IRQs.

1)Can you point me to some documentation on SageTV controlling Girder and vice versa?

2)Are all the features already in place to allow SageTV to control a satellite/cable box thru Girder?

3)If the answer to #2 is no, do you plan on intergrating better Girder support?
Old 06-10-2003, 04:42 PM
SageTV Co-Founder

There is no documentation from us on Girder and we don't really have any plans to support it directly. However, many of our users are using Girder for control of SageTV and control of their Satellite receivers. So your best help is right here in our forums or try the avsforum for questions outside of SageTV.

Go to our 3rd party page for links http://www.sage.tv/3rdparty.html.
Old 06-10-2003, 10:21 PM

Thank you for the reply here and in the other thread. I will follow the links as you suggested. Unfortunately this forum doesn't seem to have this much response on IR except for the actisys. It would ne nice to know if just one person got IR blasting working without the Actisys. As soon as my USB-UIRT arrives I'll try and definitely post if successfull. In the mean time I'll try the AVSforums as you suggested. But I'll still come here every day, because of the great info and great people. You can't get rid of me that easily.