SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 04-23-2007, 06:54 PM
Sage User

Menu corrupt

All of a sudden, my menus on my main Sage TV are all funky:

Seems like the font got changed, but I don't <i>think</i> I did it. I can't see the detailed setup to change it. I was on 6.0.19, tries upgrading to 6.1.9, but that didn't help. Any ideas?
Old 04-23-2007, 07:37 PM
SageTVaholic

Try restoring a backup of your Sage.properties file (or SageClient.properties if you're using SageTVService). If you don't have a backup, you could try opening the file in Notepad and fixing up the font entries by hand. In either case, save a copy of your current properties file before you change or overwrite anything.

Also check to make sure that the required fonts are still on your disk.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:25 PM
Sage User

Thanks, but no dice. All the upgrades made a backup of that file, and I tried a couple. It's wierd because even the title bar is messed up. Doesn't happen in any other programs. BTW I'm running Vista.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:31 PM
Administrator

For Vista, are you running the latest Java? It fixes a clock issue; don't know about this.

You could try starting with a fresh properties file - move the existing .properties and .autobackup copies to some other dir & then restart SageTV to reconfigure.

Did you do anything just before this happened, such as change the video card driver or update anything else on the system?

You could try enabling debug logging to see what the log says and/or disable 3D Acceleration mode by setting the ui/accelerated_rendering=false property.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 04-24-2007, 04:39 PM
Sage User

I knew about the java thing. But there was a new update, and I tried that (Java 6 update 1). I also completely uninstalled both Sage and Java and reinstalled. The debug logging had some interesting lines

Quote:
Tue 4/24 16:25:56.344 Loading new font to cache font=java.awt.Font[family=MV Boli,name=Arial,style=bold,size=11]
Tue 4/24 16:25:56.567 Rendered new font to cache font=java.awt.Font[family=MV Boli,name=Arial,style=bold,size=11] numGlyphs=120 numCachedGlyphs=72 numImages=1
Tue 4/24 16:25:56.606 Loading new font to cache font=java.awt.Font[family=MV Boli,name=Arial,style=bold,size=24]
Tue 4/24 16:25:56.656 Rendered new font to cache font=java.awt.Font[family=MV Boli,name=Arial,style=bold,size=24] numGlyphs=120 numCachedGlyphs=44 numImages=2
Tue 4/24 16:25:56.698 Loading new font to cache font=java.awt.Font[family=Arial,name=Arial,style=plain,size=26]
So does this mean that it's not using windows system fonts, but some Java fonts instead? And if so, does uninstalling and re-installing Java reinstall these fonts? Arial seems fine when I look at them in the system fonts.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:44 AM
Sage User

Well, I did a search and replace in sage.properties and replaced arial with century, and now everything is cool but the title bar. I can live with that. Still wierd, but it's Vista... Thanks for all the help offered!
Old 04-27-2007, 08:40 PM

UI foreign text

Recently upgraded to the most current Sage version and it worked fine, now I have issues with not being able to read the text. Most words show up as boxes for each character. I also upgraded my client version on another computer and it worked fine. I went and did a clean install of the last version that worked fine, but the problem did not correct itself. Any suggestions?
Attached Images
File Type: bmp sage.bmp (335.2 KB, 219 views)
Old 05-06-2007, 06:23 AM
Sage Advanced User

sage font all messed up

am using 6.1.9 on xp pro sp2.
have been a sage user for years, and this particualr config for months.

the other day, my sage fonts went all whacky and I havent been able to restore them (via replacing properties files with older ones).

seems like it might be related to a new java install, but I dont know.

here's an example screenie.

it also affects both my media mvps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg saged2.JPG (44.2 KB, 224 views)
XP Pro SP2, P4 2.6 ghz, 1GB RAM, 2 X 80GB seagate serial ATA barracuda HDDs,2 X 160 GB samsung silent parallel ATA HDDs, antec sonata v1.1, msi gforce 6600gt vivo, hpage pvr150, sagetv v5, harmony remote, hauppauge media mvp, USB UIRT, Bell Expressvu
Old 05-06-2007, 08:53 AM
Sage Aficionado

I periodically have my fonts get messed up on 5.04 in full screen mode (not FSE). It is usually only on certain screens - almost always the 'Recordings' screen.

Mine does correct after restarting Sage, though.
Old 05-06-2007, 08:58 PM
Administrator

I decided to merge this with the last couple posts about it. If you recently installed a new version of java, perhaps try returning to the older version to see what happens. If you contact SageTV support, maybe they can help track down what is happening.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:44 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0x1a4 View Post
Well, I did a search and replace in sage.properties and replaced arial with century, and now everything is cool but the title bar. I can live with that. Still wierd, but it's Vista... Thanks for all the help offered!
I'm running - for the moment - VISTA on my HTPC, and I do not have that problem. So not sure it's VISTA related.

Have you left VISTA's UAC enabled? Did you install SageTV under Program Files (with properties etc. under the user name directory)?

Jan
Old 05-07-2007, 08:24 AM
Sage Advanced User

Hi, I also have been having weird display issues on MCE05. This is since I updated the Java 6 update 1.

My case is different. I WAS NOT running under FSE. My fonts were fine. If I was watching a show and brought up the main menu it came up but when a new menu was selected it just came up on top of the old menu (can see the old menus still, almost like the new menu is 100% transparent but 0% transparent at the same time) and eventually the screen is full of text and you can't figure out where you are or which menu you are on. Press exit enough times to get back to the show and it is by itself again just fine.

I turned on FSE and the problem went away immediately. Not posting here to hijack... just to offer a similar experience since (potentially) the J6 Update 1. I'm running 6.18.

Last edited by dealsdyker; 05-07-2007 at 08:30 AM.
Old 06-09-2007, 01:01 PM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via ICQ to pciccone Send a message via AIM to pciccone Send a message via MSN to pciccone Send a message via Yahoo to pciccone
Client font messed up

On a new client install (running Vista) the font is garbled and nothing is readable. I am going to attach a screen shot. Anyone know how to fix this? Looks like the fonts are not installed correctly?

Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sage[.JPG (83.7 KB, 203 views)
Old 06-09-2007, 02:16 PM
Administrator

Did this happen immediately, or did it occur after changing the country, language, or some other setting?

You could try a few things: make sure Java is up to date, see if there is a video card driver update, or try turning 3D Acceleration off in SageTV to see if the fonts appear OK after that.

If you've customized the fonts for SageTV, try going back to the original setting. The time is in italics, which doesn't look like it came from the default font.

You could also try this property setting:
ui/use_texture_maps_for_3d_text=false

Oh -- I found another thread about this issue & will merge this topic with that one.

- Andy
Old 06-09-2007, 03:13 PM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via ICQ to pciccone Send a message via AIM to pciccone Send a message via MSN to pciccone Send a message via Yahoo to pciccone
Andy, sorry about the double thread. I searched, dont know how I missed ths one.

I can confirm that ui/use_texture_maps_for_3d_text=false does at least work around the issue. Things don't look right but it makes a non functional interface functional.

Changing the font as suggested above from Arial to Century also works, but many menus that don't read from the properties file will cause the problem to re-surface (like the setup screens).

The ultimate problem still remains, its just a workaround with something to do with a combination of the Arial font and texture maps for 3D.
Old 07-03-2007, 06:41 PM
Sage Advanced User

reviving this thread

so i took down sage beta 6.2.4 and upgraded my java again to 6r1... well my fonts are back to being boxes again!

I dont want to remove java 6r1 or my sage beta... I want a fix once and for all!
I am a paying customer!

note I tried replacing all Arial in the properties file with century, no go.
note I am on xp sp2.
the texture maps = false is a workaround, but not a FIX!
XP Pro SP2, P4 2.6 ghz, 1GB RAM, 2 X 80GB seagate serial ATA barracuda HDDs,2 X 160 GB samsung silent parallel ATA HDDs, antec sonata v1.1, msi gforce 6600gt vivo, hpage pvr150, sagetv v5, harmony remote, hauppauge media mvp, USB UIRT, Bell Expressvu

Last edited by aoehlke; 07-03-2007 at 06:53 PM.
Old 07-03-2007, 08:52 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aoehlke View Post
I dont want to remove java 6r1 or my sage beta... I want a fix once and for all!
I am a paying customer!
Then file a bug report with SageTV so they can follow up with you.

- Andy
Old 07-04-2007, 08:57 AM
Sage Advanced User

i just did submit the form, and had done it before I got the beta, never heard back and that was ages ago.(my form auto filled from my previous posting).
Old 07-17-2007, 09:28 AM
Sage Aficionado

Had the same problem but updating to java 1.6.0_02 seems to have solved the issue for me.

rtengvad
Server: Win7 SageTV v7.1.9 GA-MA785GM-US2H Athlon 64 X2 BE-2350 2 Gb RAM 4x 1Tb WD RE-2 GP in RAID5, Adaptec 5405 Raid controller 2x firewire DVB-C FloppyDTV C/CI, 1x TechnoTrend CT-3650 CI via the LM Smart DVB Recorder plug-in.

Clients: HD300 to a Samsung PS50C7705 (PN50C8000) via a DVDO Edge HD200 Placeshifter

Remote: Universal Remote Control MX-980