SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 01-16-2019, 01:54 PM
Sage Advanced User

Weather stopped working

On January 15, shortly after 12:00 pm my STV weather stopped updating.
Radar shows empty screen. Several STV restarts and PC reboots had no effect.
In the past when something like this happened I would just change the weather location to something else and the system would wake up.

However, now, when I try to change the location, the weather cannot find any locations. No matter what I enter, the weather returns “could not find location NNN”. So I am stuck.

I did not make any changes to my system recently.

Any ideas?

THanks
Frank
Old 01-16-2019, 03:21 PM
Sage Icon

weather underground must have finally stopped the free api...

see this post...
Old 01-16-2019, 09:49 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusjoken View Post
weather underground must have finally stopped the free api...

see this post...
Would it work for places in Canada?

Thanks
Frank
Old 01-17-2019, 12:07 AM
Sage User

End of Service for the Weather Underground API Here’s what you need to know

Yes, the Weather Underground API has been turned off. Here's what I got in an email from them:

The WU API has been around since 2010 to help you develop apps and websites as well as manage your Personal Weather Station data. During that time, we’ve watched you build amazing products and visualize weather data with creativity and purpose.

Over the years, our infrastructure has been unable to keep up with the growing numbers of users coming to us for API data. This has led to higher costs as we worked to keep the service stable and dependable. Eventually, we realized we’d need to make drastic changes or risk serious problems for our API.

As a result, we’ve made the difficult decision to retire the Weather Underground API. The Weather Company, which acquired WU back in 2012, offers a powerful suite of enterprise-grade APIs that might be better suited to meet your scale and performance needs while offering a broader range of weather data. You can see these products here .

Here’s what you need to know going forward:

Your subscriptions, and therefore access, will continue to work through 12/31/2018 .
If you are a paying WU API customer , you will receive a call from a representative from The Weather Company, and IBM business, to discuss transition options to other API services. If you’d like to have these conversations sooner, contact us .
If you are a Personal Weather Station owner , you will receive more information about our plan to offer free access to the data you provide to Weather Underground. We’ll reach out once that plan has been finalized.
For developers who use WU API data for non-commercial purposes , you will have access to a new plan for a personal use, low call volume API. Stay tuned for more details as we build this out.
The WU Forum will continue to be the best place to connect, keep you informed, share your feedback and get your questions answered as we go through this process.

We are grateful for your commitment to Weather Underground and appreciate your understanding and support as we work through this process. These changes will allow us to continually improve our services and develop new features to keep WU a thriving place for you for many years to come.

Thanks for being part of the community!
Sincerely,
The WU Team
Old 01-17-2019, 12:57 AM

Newer update on the Weather Underground API

The following message appeared on the forum around 1/2/2019.

Hi there from the Weather Underground API Transition Team.

We’d like to reiterate a few things and let you know of a few small timing changes as we move closer to the previously announced retirement of the Weather Underground API:

Based on the response to the previous announcement as we neared year end, we have extended the retirement date to February 15, 2019 to allow you more transition time.
All Weather Underground API keys will stop working on February 15, 2019 unless otherwise agreed upon with Weather Underground.
All credit card charges for existing Weather Underground API subscriptions will stop on December 26, 2018.

Personal Weather Station (PWS) owners/contributors will continue to be eligible for a free replacement API service selected from our standard IBM/Weather Company standard offerings that contain:

Current observations from the PWS network
5 day daily forecast
PWS historical data
PWS lookup by geocode, zip code and location
Call volume: 1500/day, 30/minute

You can check out our PWS contributor replacement API documentation here.

If you need higher call volumes, you can still sign up for a paid API subscription plan from The Weather Company. Prices begin at $200/month. To have a representative contact you or to request a demo, please click to fill out the contact form.

Finally, we are humbled by the loyalty you’ve shown us during this difficult transition period. Thank you for your continued support of the Weather Underground community.

With gratitude,
The WU API Transition Team
Old 01-17-2019, 09:02 AM
SageTVaholic

See here: https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65764

Towards the end there is a manifest that can be used to update a beta version of the plugin.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:53 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post
See here: https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65764

Towards the end there is a manifest that can be used to update a beta version of the plugin.
So, if I understand it correctly, the sequence would be as follows:
1. Remove Google weather (WU) plugin
2. Install NWS plugin
3. Install SageTVPluginsDev.zip as mentioned in the quoted thread
4. Enjoy.

Is that correct?

If I remove Google plugin and install just NWS plugin, I have no access to Weather from Online menu at all.

Frank
Old 01-17-2019, 03:34 PM
Sage Advanced User

Frank,

Your step 1 is optional. I did not do this step and the new plugin works OK here.

Your step 3 needs to come before step 2. The contents of the zip file, an XML document, needs to be in the SageTV folder, BEFORE you try to install the plugin. The XML is used by SageTV to find the plug-in. It is a special step, since the plugin is still in beta status. I did a SageTV restart, but I am not sure I needed to.

<reminder>Anybody with their own beta plugins probably already knows that they'll need to manually edit the downloaded XML to make everything work as intended. </reminder>

<I like it>I like much of the new plugin's presentation. I like the hourly forecast data. I miss the radar maps, but I'm guessing that it's not easy to duplicate that functionality.</I like it>

Erv.
All in lovely Drexel Hill, PA
Old 01-18-2019, 05:28 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by egeller View Post
Frank,

Your step 1 is optional. I did not do this step and the new plugin works OK here.

Your step 3 needs to come before step 2. The contents of the zip file, an XML document, needs to be in the SageTV folder, BEFORE you try to install the plugin. The XML is used by SageTV to find the plug-in. It is a special step, since the plugin is still in beta status. I did a SageTV restart, but I am not sure I needed to.

<reminder>Anybody with their own beta plugins probably already knows that they'll need to manually edit the downloaded XML to make everything work as intended. </reminder>

Erv.
What he said.

I have not been successful finding a way to get radar capability. I'll keep looking and pecking away at it.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 01-18-2019, 02:36 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by egeller View Post
Frank,

Erv.
I followed the instructions. I have all the files mentioned in the manifest \SageTV\SageTV\JARs. I have all Jackson files ver. 2.9.8

If I leave Google WU plugin installed, I still get the stalled WU weather.
If I remove WU plugin, I get nothing when selecting Weather from Online menu. By nothing I mean no reaction. Online menu is still there, no Weather starts.

I am running STV 9.1.5. Do I need to update?

Edit: I updated to 9.1.9. Nothing changed. Still behaves as described above.

What gives?

Edit 2: I am taking this discussion to the proper forum.

Thanks
Frank

Last edited by fbures; 01-19-2019 at 07:58 AM.
Old 01-19-2019, 01:45 PM
Sage User

Thanks for your work! The update works on one media player but not on another media player. What am I missing?
Old 01-19-2019, 06:43 PM
Sage User

Appears to work intermittent

Update - An hour later I checked weather and had to put the zip code in the 2nd media player and it worked ~ 1 hour then reverted to the old broken weather. I went and checked the original media player and it had reverted to the old non-working weather. Ideas?
Old 01-20-2019, 07:59 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwycoff View Post
Update - An hour later I checked weather and had to put the zip code in the 2nd media player and it worked ~ 1 hour then reverted to the old broken weather. I went and checked the original media player and it had reverted to the old non-working weather. Ideas?
Not really It shouldn't magically revert. What are you using as a media player? Restart it and post a logfile and I'll see what shows up in there.

Old 01-20-2019, 09:06 AM
Sage User

Weather

Thanks - Here is a link - https://cisco.box.com/s/hz82s3eo0gkc...wfuerfxrj5fl2m
Old 01-20-2019, 09:09 AM
Sage User

Weather

By the way - it does show your new icons and the correct temperature at the top right of the home screen!
And these are HD200's!

Last edited by dwycoff; 01-20-2019 at 11:23 AM.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:54 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
By the way - it does show your new icons and the correct temperature at the top right of the home screen!
And these are HD200's!
I took a look at that logfile and it's not really telling me much. What I see looks OK.

Tell me more about what you see when it "reverts". Are you actually seeing the old weather menu? If that's the case then I think that the dynamic menu plugin you are using is doing something funky.

Old 01-21-2019, 03:04 PM
Sage User

Weather

Yes - It displays the original weather underground display. I have uninstalled NWS and Google weather and reinstalled and have never seen your NWS weather report after that first time however the temperature and your icon show up properly on the main menu top right. I have Phoenix API installed - is that the dynamic menu you are referring to?

Last edited by dwycoff; 01-21-2019 at 03:11 PM.
Old 01-22-2019, 05:42 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Yes - It displays the original weather underground display. I have uninstalled NWS and Google weather and reinstalled and have never seen your NWS weather report after that first time however the temperature and your icon show up properly on the main menu top right. I have Phoenix API installed - is that the dynamic menu you are referring to?
The phoenix API plugin won't have an impact.

If you are running anything other than the default STV the new weather plugin probably won't work.

Old 01-22-2019, 11:26 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Yes - It displays the original weather underground display. I have uninstalled I have Phoenix API installed - is that the dynamic menu you are referring to?
No. I think TMiranda is referring to the UIMod plugin "ADM-Another Dynamic Menu", which you may be using. Using it probably affects the new weather plugin, for now.
All in lovely Drexel Hill, PA
Old 01-22-2019, 05:52 PM
Sage User

Weather

Thanks egeller!
I do not use ADM - I have the following:
commercial Detector by tmiranda
Comskip by tmiranda
Google Weather
Jetty Web server
Nielms Sage utilities
Recently watched
Restart sage from setup menu
Upcoming movies 2
Weather using NWS API
YouTube recording engine

Last edited by dwycoff; 01-22-2019 at 05:58 PM.