SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 06-25-2011, 05:49 AM
Sage Aficionado

Differences between HD-100, 200, 300 ??

I am hoping someone can fill in the blanks on this, (and I have mostly blanks )

HD-100:
Full size unit
Internal Power Supply (that has issues but can be repaired cheaply)
All connections built in - no need for 'break out cable'
Requires a free Placeshifter license

HD-200
About the size of a Personal Pan Pizza box (mmm pizza)
uses an external power brick
All connection built in ?
Has built in license
Faster then HD-100 (can someone that has both give us a feel for how much faster?)

HD-300
Small ... 1/3 the size of the 200?
Uses an external power brick
HDMI connection built in - component, Svideo require included breakout cable (not sure about composite)
Not sure about which audio connections are built in or on breakout cable
Has built in license
Remote included can learn three commands - TV Power, TV Vol up, TV Vol Down
Fastest (how much faster then a 200??)

anything (file format, functionality) that is different?

Exactly what chipset does each use? I'd love to get some hard facts about the speed differences between them (ex. uses a 400mhz sigma 423chip) and user experience differences (ex. the HD-200 seems twice as fast as the hd-100?)
I've never had the pleasure of having more then 1 side by side. I have a HD-100, my Brother (100 miles away) has a HD-200, and my Mom has the HD-300. I can tell you that it's a clearly obvious difference between my 100 and either of theirs.
As recently posted in the 'phoneix vs diamond' thread the HD-100 is too sluggish for diamond (well if you turn off a lot of bells and whistles it works fine in diamond, but at that point I just went back to the default UI)

Looking to provide a concise set of differences for anyone getting a used unit.

Oh and I suppose I should include the MediaMVP breifly (as I have it) - The Stock UI is usable, but very sluggish. it can't handle 1080i HD-PVR files. The picture is better then one might think, I feel watching HD content on the MediaMVP (on a SD TV) is about like watching a DVD on a SD TV - It's sharper then an Analog SD recording (if that makes sense)
Retired - Hava, MediaMVP, HD-100, HD-PVR, HVR-2250, Ceton InfiniTV4, Original (white) HDHomeRun Died - HD-100, HD-300

Last edited by ThePaladinTech; 06-25-2011 at 05:56 AM.
Old 06-25-2011, 07:00 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePaladinTech View Post
HD-200
About the size of a Personal Pan Pizza box (mmm pizza)
uses an external power brick
All connection built in ?
Has built in license
Faster then HD-100 (can someone that has both give us a feel for how much faster?)
Separate Composite, S-Video, Component, HDMI jacks are built in. Also separate L/R analog audio jacks, and optical SPDIF (no RCA SPDIF)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePaladinTech View Post
HD-300
Small ... 1/3 the size of the 200?
Uses an external power brick
HDMI connection built in - component, Svideo require included breakout cable (not sure about composite)
Not sure about which audio connections are built in or on breakout cable
Has built in license
Remote included can learn three commands - TV Power, TV Vol up, TV Vol Down
Fastest (how much faster then a 200??)
HDMI jack and breakout jack are built-in. Breakout cable includes composite and component connections, no S-Video. Optical SPDIF jack built in, L/R analog audio included on breakout cable. No RCA SPDIF.

HD200/HD300 speed comparison - From "Stop Auto-connect" to server selection screen (when progress bar is displayed):

HD200: 8.5 seconds
HD300: 2 seconds

My unscientific results suggest the HD300 is roughly four times faster than the HD200.
Miscellaneous: Multiple Sony RM-VLZ620 Universal Remote Controls
Old 06-25-2011, 08:58 AM
SageTVaholic

Probably the biggest difference (other than the speed) is that the HD200 and 300 officially support Blu-ray as their chips support the full spread of BD video functionality, and the HD300 can decode DTS so if you've not got a DTS capable Receiver it will decode to stereo (eg for TVs or analog inputs). The other difference is the HD300 can bitstream TrueHD and DTS-HD (and PCM I believe) over HDMI where the other two can't.
Old 06-25-2011, 11:01 PM
Sage Icon

Also the HD300 supports an external optional IR receiver so that you can hide the extender completely from sight.

Speed wise, I find the HD100 completely unusable with the Diamond UI, it is just way too slow. The HD200 does a good job, and the HD300 is even smoother.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.

Tags
hd100, hd200, hd300