SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 09-17-2010, 01:37 PM
Sage Advanced User

Streamzap remote with version 7?

Background info...For my little trial I built two nearly identical machines, one client, one server. Difference are hard drive, cpu speed, tuner/hd-pvr in server, and remote. So one would think the server is doing the "heavy lifting" and would be more prone to issues. However, I am having issues with the client. It does do more of the playback so it led me to think some type of memory hole or something in sage. The more issues I have seem to be related to the streamzap software. For instance once it started bugging out and I noticed the zremote.exe was eating 250 megs of ram. Last night the application in the systray crashed stating the memory couldn't be read or something. So I did memtest for 2 passes and the memory checked out. Is anyone else using the streamzap with V7? Is the software just buggy? I just does strange things. For instance it will stop controlling sage I believe because the title bar at the top turns black instead of saying SageTV. I tried to reboot last night and it said I didn't have permission! It's just acting really whacked out. I fully thought I would find memory errors but I didn't so that is pointing me to the remote. I plan to try another remote as soon as I can find one but in the meantime wanted to hear some experiences with the remote and software. I am using version 3.0 I believe of the streamzap software.
I'm also not using any plugins. I'm running "stock" AFAIK.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:43 PM
SageTVaholic

I use the firefly but I use eventghost ... there is a plugin for the streamzap in eventghost you might want to try using that instead of the streamzap software. Eventghost also has a plugin for sagetv.
Old 09-18-2010, 06:18 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
I use the firefly but I use eventghost ...
Whatever remote software you will use with the Streamzap remote, will not remove the need of the Streamzap software. So the issues with zremote.exe will remain.

Issues exists with the Streamzap drivers:

* remote stop responding : workaround unplug receiver / plug it back. It may successfully restore the remote but may also crash Windows when unplugging or plugging back

* High CPU / memory usage of zremote.exe

I was using a Streamzap for years on Win XP and at some point it started to not behave correctly. I never figured out what was responsible for this issue (on my PC the Streamzap receiver stop blinking when pushing on remote button, unplugging / plugging back the receiver was restoring the remote functions but sometimes it was crashing Windows with a blue screen)

At that time I have only analyzed the crash dump a little. Crash was occuring in the remote driver but also on USB drivers. So for me the issue was directly tied to the USB stack, and I guess it was one of the Windows Update update concerning the USB stack that started it.

The only thing you could try to improve the reliability of the remote is to put it on a dedicated USB port (it means that the Streamzap should be the only device to be found on a USB Host Controller). The USB root hub where the Streamzap is connected should not allow the device to go to sleep. And as the Streamzap receiver USB cable is not shielded, you should keep it out from any interferences...

Regards,
Stéphane.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:28 PM
Sage Advanced User

is this still the case with streamzap?

I am just trying to set up a Sage Client after years of not using it (old one was set up on a Win2K machine. The new machine is using Vista and the remote performance is awful. It sounds like from this and a couple of other posts that this is not something I am going to resolve and I should just get a second MCE remote like the one that has been working great on my server for so long. Just wanted to make sure that is the case before I shell out the $$.

Thanks.