SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 11-25-2019, 09:04 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
Only if you have a cable card, and the CRTC sadly never mandated Canadian cable companies to offer them, as the FCC did in the U.S. But still, CBC, City, CTV & Global carry a decent amount of live sports. Just for Olympics alone a OTA, cheap TiVo would be good.
Yes, but less live sports all the time. On OTA you would get almost no Raps games unless they are on ABC. And only Saturday night Leafs games.

It is pretty painless to run SageTV on a PC with OTA tuning with an HDHR tuner - especially if you were to use that server for only recording OTA TV and leave movies, etc to another system running Plex, Kodi or whatever.

My main SageTV server is on unRAID and has two HD-PVRs, and then I have two dual tuner HDHRs - one of them a very old device. I have SageTV running on two other Windows PCs and they can also access the HDHRs since they are easier to share across PCs as they are on the LAN. The only issue is device contention. I back up most of my content from the unRAID server to one of the Windows PCs so that if my unRAID server goes down (which it almost never does) then I can easily point my HD2/300s to one of the other servers.
Old 11-25-2019, 10:00 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post
Believe me, I'd like to keep using Sage. It's way better than anything else out there and I am less enamored with all of the streaming services than most people. I find it frustrating that I need to launch different apps to stream different shows. And don't even get me started about remembering which shows are on which streaming platform. The cable companies are idiots for losing their grip on a market they once dominated.
That is one of the reason why I still have cable. I would need at least 4 steaming services and trying to remember what show is on what service is a pain.

Give it a few years, someone will build a front end to steaming services to provide a single interface. Who knows, it might even be a cable company.

Thanks for all of you contributions.
Client: HD300; Samsung UN46B7000
Client: Nexus Player / Mini-Client; Sony KDL-32L4000
Client: SageTV Placeshifter 7
Client: SageTV Client 9
Old 11-25-2019, 11:19 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkGuy View Post
Give it a few years, someone will build a front end to steaming services to provide a single interface. Who knows, it might even be a cable company.
No doubt that will happen but then the streaming services will break their APIs so that this aggregator won't work anymore. We have seen that happen before.
Old 11-26-2019, 07:53 PM
Sage Icon

As well as everyone else here Tom's contributions to the SageTV community will be sorely missed by me.
Old 12-03-2019, 08:22 PM
Sage Expert

This is very sad to see Tom go.

We renewed our Fios TV this past summer. I consider dropping the TV part but with how much they charge for just internet and then to add a streaming service, the savings was not that great.

My wife doesn't want to get rid of fios tv. But I am finding that our use of Sage is getting less and less. We are watching Netflix, Disney+ and a couple other streaming services. What we are using Sage mostly for are OTA channels, and some sports programs on cable channels. But with Fox, Fox Sports, Big10 etc being copy once, our sage is useless for those channels.

I would like to see if there is a way to get developed for Sage the ability to record from TV streaming service. I know that is easier said then done. I keep hoping that Playon will do something like that, but I have not seen it yet.
Media Server: Win 7 Home (32 bit), GIGABYTE GA-EP43-UD3L LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard, Intel Core 2 Quad Q9505 Yorkfield 2.83GHz, 4 GB Ram, Geforce 9600 GT PCI-E, 1x HD PVR, HD homerun (2x for OTA, 1x for FIOS QAM), 1 x HD Homerun Prime with cablecard from FIOS.

Client: Windows 10 Pro

Media Extenders: HD-200 x 3, HD-200 x 2
Old 12-04-2019, 04:03 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergq View Post
I keep hoping that Playon will do something like that, but I have not seen it yet.
You can record Netflix and Hulu with PlayOn.
Client: HD300; Samsung UN46B7000
Client: Nexus Player / Mini-Client; Sony KDL-32L4000
Client: SageTV Placeshifter 7
Client: SageTV Client 9
Old 12-05-2019, 10:05 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
This is very sad to see Tom go.

... But with Fox, Fox Sports, Big10 etc being copy once, our sage is useless for those channels.
You could set up a capture style tuner for the copy-once media if those channels were important to you.

You mentioned TV streaming - have you tried the Channels DVR Server software yet? You can test it with FIOS implementation of the TVEverywhere streaming. The interface takes some getting used to, but they do use comskip on all recordings. The developers are responsive to bugs and the community is positive, unless they think that a suggested feature isn't something worth pursuing.
Old Yesterday, 03:30 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
But with Fox, Fox Sports, Big10 etc being copy once, our sage is useless for those channels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post
You could set up a capture style tuner for the copy-once media if those channels were important to you.
You can use a Samsung GX-SM530CF (supports CableCard) attached to your favorite capture card/device to get these channels. They are sold used or refurbed on Amazon and eBay. You'll need to use one of the tuning plugins to tune it (look up 'samsungctl' or 'go-samsung-tv' on github, they can tune these devices over the network) or you could use IR tuning if you have that available. The device can only tune a single channel at once (it was meant to be a non-cable-company STB replacement), but if all you need it for is the Fox owned channels on FiOS you likely only need one.

--John
Old Today, 03:03 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpwegas View Post
You can use a Samsung GX-SM530CF (supports CableCard) attached to your favorite capture card/device to get these channels. They are sold used or refurbed on Amazon and eBay. You'll need to use one of the tuning plugins to tune it (look up 'samsungctl' or 'go-samsung-tv' on github, they can tune these devices over the network) or you could use IR tuning if you have that available. The device can only tune a single channel at once (it was meant to be a non-cable-company STB replacement), but if all you need it for is the Fox owned channels on FiOS you likely only need one.

--John
Could you tune it with USB-UIRT? And HDMI only out? If you fed it to a Colossus card, would you need a HDCP stripper as well?
Sage 7 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 2 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - Seagate/Hitachi Deskstar - HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200 networked. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson

Last edited by tvmaster2; Today at 03:40 AM.