SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 08-06-2021, 08:49 AM
Sage Advanced User

Exclamation MKVs with too many subtitles wont play

Ive had this problem for years. I get error "problem with video portion of playback" or something to that effect. But if I remove subtitles from the mkv and make no other changes it plays fine. Not sure how many is too many but 1 or 2 work but i download files that have many and I have to remove them to get these files to play. This is on a computer client. Not sure about extenders. Is there a way to turn off subtitles in the registry maybe?
Old 08-10-2021, 12:07 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianrent View Post
Ive had this problem for years. I get error "problem with video portion of playback" or something to that effect. But if I remove subtitles from the mkv and make no other changes it plays fine. Not sure how many is too many but 1 or 2 work but i download files that have many and I have to remove them to get these files to play. This is on a computer client. Not sure about extenders. Is there a way to turn off subtitles in the registry maybe?
I've noticed this too, when there are a gazillion SRT's in the MKV.

While the HDx00's extenders have a problem with this (they tend to lock up in my experience) the Android Mini Client seems to fair better. I've since learned to not even try to use SageTV with these. I use Plex for playback instead when I have one of these multiple diverse language media files on hand. I imagine it's an edge case that the SageTV client code never thought it would have to handle.
Old 08-10-2021, 02:42 PM
SageTVaholic

I noticed this also happens if the MKV has embedded subtitles and you also have an srt file alongside it.

I create MKV out of SageTV recordings with embeeded subtitles but I had to delete the srt left behind in order for them to play.
Old 08-11-2021, 05:35 AM
Sage Icon

I've seen this with HD200 & HD300 also.
I end up using MakeMKV to strip out the undesired languages and have had no issue playing them afterwards on the HD200 & HD300
Old 08-20-2021, 11:21 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by graywolf View Post
I've seen this with HD200 & HD300 also.
I end up using MakeMKV to strip out the undesired languages and have had no issue playing them afterwards on the HD200 & HD300
Yes. I use MKV toolnix and batch do this for multiple files at once. I have it set to automatically include only audio, video and english subs. Works fairly well but would rather it was fixed so I don't have to do this.
Thanks everyone who still works on sage. It is the perfect setup for my family.