SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 08-03-2015, 11:54 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpjpjpj View Post
Interesting read... Win10 a "privacy nightmare"?
http://www.slate.com/articles/techno...plug_them.html
One of the first things I did was go to privacy area and turn off what I wanted... I also stopped all apps from running on my server. Google has been doing this for a while targeting Ads etc...

Last edited by nyplayer; 08-03-2015 at 12:04 PM.
Old 08-03-2015, 03:36 PM
Sage Expert

Will W10 constantly be upgrading to the latest HDPVR drivers? Will it also automatically upgrade Java? I'm worried that all of this auto updating could break something in Sage.
Old 08-03-2015, 03:46 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil_Attorney View Post
Will W10 constantly be upgrading to the latest HDPVR drivers? Will it also automatically upgrade Java? I'm worried that all of this auto updating could break something in Sage.
Windows 10 does not even use Java in their new browser or plugins. Too much worrying around here... If you are worried do not update... it is optional.

Last edited by nyplayer; 08-03-2015 at 03:48 PM.
Old 08-03-2015, 04:11 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
Windows 10 does not even use Java in their new browser or plugins. Too much worrying around here... If you are worried do not update... it is optional.
Well, there is another thread where a user had issues with Java and the Win10 preview: http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61928

And the HDPVR driver upgrade could be an issue for some whom have found greater stability with older driver versions.

Those are both legit concerns with Sage and worthy of at least discussing.
Old 08-03-2015, 04:32 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Well, there is another thread where a user had issues with Java and the Win10 preview: http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61928

And the HDPVR driver upgrade could be an issue for some whom have found greater stability with older driver versions.

Those are both legit concerns with Sage and worthy of at least discussing.
if you are worried once you have a working System you can go to Services and disable the windows update service if that bothers you... That is an old post that was a preview not a final. When you chose to update just turn on the service and check for updates. You can also hide updates they released a tool for it.
http://www.zdnet.com/article/microso...ws-10-updates/

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

Last edited by nyplayer; 08-03-2015 at 04:40 PM.
Old 08-03-2015, 04:59 PM
SageTVaholic

I installed the upgrade on three machines yesterday (not my Sage machines). Let's face it, it's a facelift for Windows 7 and a patch for Windows 8.

Still working out all the woohaa that has to be shut off to secure the system. Microsoft is even using a form of peer-to-peer file sharing to distribute this patch.
Old 08-03-2015, 05:18 PM
Sage Expert

I think I would have a higher confidence in w10 if I didn't have so many issues with the upgrade/install. Out of 3 of my windows machines that I wanted to upgrade (none my server) I was only able to get one to finally upgrade after many, many failed attempts. I gave up on the other two for now. When their win10 download tool simply crashes or throws up the "something happened" error, it's not only frustrating but makes me wonder what else could have issues if they can't even get the basic upgrade/installation process working properly.
Old 08-03-2015, 05:22 PM
SageTVaholic

I see everything Windows 7 buried in Windows 10, so I have a hunch that the "upgrade" may not be as ... severe, for lack of a better word, than previous Windows Upgrades.

This is the first time that I've ever upgraded one of my own operating systems without a clean install. I guess we'll see how it goes.

I will not be upgrading my Sage Server for a very long time.
Old 08-03-2015, 05:29 PM
SageTVaholic

One thing I recommend before updating is to unplug all your usb devices except for keyboard and mouse.,, I started an Install with a usb drive connected it disconnected and my update failed.... It appeared that windows put the image on the usb drive but it disconnected so it failed.
Old 08-03-2015, 06:15 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I think I would have a higher confidence in w10 if I didn't have so many issues with the upgrade/install. Out of 3 of my windows machines that I wanted to upgrade (none my server) I was only able to get one to finally upgrade after many, many failed attempts. I gave up on the other two for now. When their win10 download tool simply crashes or throws up the "something happened" error, it's not only frustrating but makes me wonder what else could have issues if they can't even get the basic upgrade/installation process working properly.
This is what I used to force the download and install of the upgrade (the 64bit version for a couple computers and the 32bit version for a tablet, I matched whatever it had in Windows 7):

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softw...load/windows10

(The download tool that is)

Is that pretty much what you had attempted to use?
Old 08-03-2015, 06:22 PM
SageTVaholic

I should probably mention ... before I used the tool in the above post, I updated each machine (Windows Update) as far as I could, and when the small windows upgrade icon appeared in the system tray, I selected it to "reserve the upgrade." Reserving the upgrade is [apparently] a necessary step.
Old 08-03-2015, 06:26 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post
I should probably mention ... before I used the tool in the above post, I updated each machine (Windows Update) as far as I could, and when the small windows upgrade icon appeared in the system tray, I selected it to "reserve the upgrade." Reserving the upgrade is [apparently] a necessary step.
No, it's not a necessary step if you're using the media creation tool to do the upgrade. I upgraded all my machines and only one had been reserved. Reservation just means that you get priority in the lottery that decides who gets to download it. The tool circumvents the process.
Old 08-03-2015, 06:30 PM
SageTVaholic

Gotcha. Disregard my last post.

The tablet did seem to bitch a bit, until I did that step. Not sure what that was about.
Old 08-03-2015, 06:40 PM
SageTVaholic

Just for the record, "Onedrive" bothers me. I don't do cloud storage. Ever. Nobody should (with sensitive personal data).

When the most secure servers in our nation get cranked up on a daily basis, I have a hard time believing that storing my personal data out there is a good idea.

If anyone has a link on how to crush Onedrive, post it up.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:37 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post
This is what I used to force the download and install of the upgrade (the 64bit version for a couple computers and the 32bit version for a tablet, I matched whatever it had in Windows 7):

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softw...load/windows10

(The download tool that is)

Is that pretty much what you had attempted to use?
Yes, I used the upgrade tool. I was able to use it to download and install the upgrade of the 32 bit version on an old tablet, but the download of the 64 bit (either the upgrade or iso) would either crash or give me the "something went wrong" error. Both 64 bit machines were fully up to date and I tried all of the other suggestions people have had, such as clearing out the hidden install files. My Apple OS upgrades never had these issues!
Old 08-03-2015, 07:42 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Yes, I used the upgrade tool. I was able to use it to download and install the upgrade of the 32 bit version on an old tablet, but the download of the 64 bit (either the upgrade or iso) would either crash or give me the "something went wrong" error. Both 64 bit machines were fully up to date and I tried all of the other suggestions people have had, such as clearing out the hidden install files. My Apple OS upgrades never had these issues!
I didn't have trouble on any four of the machines I upgraded. Although my brother had issues that he finally worked around on a couple of his and my parents' machines.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:19 PM
SageTVaholic

"Finally, we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary."

so, does this mean MS has a permanent backdoor and can access any folder on any W10 PC via an Internet connection? That would be way out of bounds
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300ís networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 08-03-2015, 08:59 PM
Sage User

I just encountered an issue which started after upgrading to 10.

New media in the "Media Center Import Directories" is not showing up after a scan, even when the scan is manually launched.

I checked that the directories are mounted and accessible. They are on a NAS on the network, and I can browse to them in a File Explorer window, and play them in a media player.

Then I removed the paths from the Import Directories list and re-added them. After a scan, some files that had been in the media list are now missing from the list as well. These are not recently added files, but ones that have been there for a long time.

What is odd is that these files are not any one particular type. Some are .mkv, some .mp4, some folders with VIDEO_TS inside. And right next to the missing ones are sibling files with exactly the same format, extension, naming style, etc.

I am puzzling over what is causing the scan to miss or ignore some files. I upgraded to 10 four days ago. I added some files successfully a few days before the upgrade, and then added some today and the problem started, so the Win10 upgrade might be related to it.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:45 PM
Sage User

To follow up on my post above:

I performed a "repair" install of SageTV, and then started a manual scan, and all media is showing up again.
Old 08-04-2015, 03:07 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
"Finally, we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary."

so, does this mean MS has a permanent backdoor and can access any folder on any W10 PC via an Internet connection? That would be way out of bounds
Better get rid of my passwords spreadsheet then and go back to good old paper and pen.
Seriously, what if Microsoft got hacked.
Also with the torrent patching now ( best turn this off ) half the world could be infected with a new set of virus' where MS patches are downloaded from hackers machines.

Tags
windows 10