SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 08-04-2015, 03:18 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
Better get rid of my passwords spreadsheet then and go back to good old paper and pen.
Seriously, what if Microsoft got hacked.
Also with the torrent patching now ( best turn this off ) half the world could be infected with a new set of virus' where MS patches are downloaded from hackers machines.
Most of those features can be turned off. First thing I did was go to security/privacy and updates and turned off stuff. Also turn off remote assistance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg updates.jpg (82.2 KB, 251 views)

Last edited by nyplayer; 08-04-2015 at 03:22 PM.
Old 08-04-2015, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
Better get rid of my passwords spreadsheet then and go back to good old paper and pen.
Seriously, what if Microsoft got hacked.
Also with the torrent patching now ( best turn this off ) half the world could be infected with a new set of virus' where MS patches are downloaded from hackers machines.
Or get KeePass
Old 08-04-2015, 11:08 PM
SageTVaholic

turns out that clause references MS servers / OneDrive, not anyone's home based PC
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300ís networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 08-08-2015, 10:53 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post
Still working out all the woohaa that has to be shut off to secure the system. Microsoft is even using a form of peer-to-peer file sharing to distribute this patch.
Read the article I linked a few posts above (from slate.com). Lots of privacy loopholes to jump through, including several that appear fairly hidden (though people here are typically more tech-savvy than the average person that story is aiming for!).

It bothers me that MS defaults everything to "on" and you have to shut it all off manually - especially the "we will use your PC as a peer-to-peer sharing device for distribution of Win10".
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 08-11-2015, 02:08 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taddeusz View Post
I upgraded my SageTV server to Windows 10 yesterday. Went off without a hitch. The only tiny issue I had was that my Plex service runner didn't come back. That was dead simple to get started again. Everything else is running fine.
Do you use either a Hauppauge Colossus or HD PVR, and if so, did the Windows 10 update mess either of those up? I use older drivers, and am concerned that Microsoft will install newer drivers - is that what happened in your case?
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300ís networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 08-11-2015, 03:04 PM
Sage Expert

After a few beers this weekend, I said, "what the hell" and upgraded my server. I had the latest HDPVR drivers on there already, so I am not sure that they would have updated or not, but I suspect that they would have. However, I believe there is a way to shut off driver updating by going: Hardware Tab > Device Installation Settings > No, let me choose what to do > Never install driver software from Windows Update. Then you can simply install the older drivers.

The only minor quirk I encountered was that the IP Directv tuning did not initially work after installation. However, after another reboot, it worked fine. Other than that, besides needing to reinstall Java, everything works perfectly and there are no other issues.
Old 08-11-2015, 09:08 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil_Attorney View Post
After a few beers this weekend, I said, "what the hell" and upgraded my server. I had the latest HDPVR drivers on there already, so I am not sure that they would have updated or not, but I suspect that they would have. However, I believe there is a way to shut off driver updating by going: Hardware Tab > Device Installation Settings > No, let me choose what to do > Never install driver software from Windows Update. Then you can simply install the older drivers.

The only minor quirk I encountered was that the IP Directv tuning did not initially work after installation. However, after another reboot, it worked fine. Other than that, besides needing to reinstall Java, everything works perfectly and there are no other issues.
Hardware Tab for the individual device, aka Device Manager/Sound-Video devices/Colossus/ etc?
Or somewhere else?
Old 08-12-2015, 09:22 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
Hardware Tab for the individual device, aka Device Manager/Sound-Video devices/Colossus/ etc?
Or somewhere else?
Nevermind, that was apparently for a beta build. Apparently there is now a separate tool to deal with the driver issue: http://www.wired.com/2015/07/stop-wi...-auto-updates/
Old 08-23-2015, 05:41 PM
Sage User

I upgraded my Win7 sage server to Win10 today. I have 2 HD-PVR 2 boxes attached to it. I could get neither of the pvrs to work. This is with the latest windows 10 drivers from hauppage. I couldn't even get the Hauppage Capture app to work.

On the sagetv side, I could get it to run without the service enabled, but there was no video. The sage service would not start even after numerous changes to the config and account which it uses to logon.

I finally gave and and went back to Win7.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:10 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkohn View Post
I upgraded my Win7 sage server to Win10 today. I have 2 HD-PVR 2 boxes attached to it. I could get neither of the pvrs to work. This is with the latest windows 10 drivers from hauppage. I couldn't even get the Hauppage Capture app to work.

On the sagetv side, I could get it to run without the service enabled, but there was no video. The sage service would not start even after numerous changes to the config and account which it uses to logon.

I finally gave and and went back to Win7.
That is weird blkohn - I upgraded my Windows 8.1 32-bit Pro to Windows 10 32-bit Pro with SageTV in place and running 4 HD-PVR's and did not have any glitches at all with the process. I had to stay with 32-bit because I am using Firewire tuning on my Scientific-Atlanta Cable Boxes. I did not change any drivers or anything during or after the upgrade ...

I do not know why you would have had so much trouble!?

Dight
SERVER: Intel Core i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz - UnRaid Server 6.8.0/DVB LibreELEC with Docker stuckless-sagetv-server-java9 MOTHERBOARD: ASRock-Z77 Extreme4 / 32GB RAM CACHE DRIVE: SSD 1TB ARRAY: 24TB/7 DRIVES PARITY: 8TB
EXTERNAL DEVICES: 4x HD-PVR's Firewire Channel Changing
TUNERS:NO LONGER RECORDING LIVETV
CLIENTS: 2xHD300 2xHD200 SONY ANDROIDTV MINI-CLIENT
Old 08-24-2015, 12:14 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstanley View Post
That is weird blkohn - I upgraded my Windows 8.1 32-bit Pro to Windows 10 32-bit Pro with SageTV in place and running 4 HD-PVR's and did not have any glitches at all with the process. I had to stay with 32-bit because I am using Firewire tuning on my Scientific-Atlanta Cable Boxes. I did not change any drivers or anything during or after the upgrade ...

I do not know why you would have had so much trouble!?

Dight
wouldn't it be great if someone finally updated the 1394 Firewire tuning app so we could run 64 bit? Totally surprised no one with the ability has done it yet. My cable company, Cox, has been supplying set-top boxes with active 1394 for 15 years, including their most recent Cisco offerings.
I wonder if updating from Windows 7 is a bigger headache than updating from 8.1 I updated a laptop from Windows 7 to Windows 10 with little problems, but it did not involve Sage, and was 64 bit
Old 08-24-2015, 01:30 PM
SageTVaholic

I don't think it's the tuning app that's the problem. I believe it has to do with the drivers available for Windows. There isn't a 64-bit driver that can be used to communicate with the box.
SageTV v9 Server: ASRock Z97 Extreme4, Intel i7-4790K @ 4.4Ghz, 32GB RAM, 6x 3TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 5TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 6TB 7200rpm HD, 4x 256GB SSD, 4x 500GB SSD, unRAID Pro 6.7.2 (Dual Parity + SSD Cache).
Capture: 1x Ceton InfiniTV 4 (ClearQAM), 2x Ceton InfiniTV 6, 1x BM1000-HDMI, 1x BM3500-HDMI.

Clients: 1x HD300 (Living Room), 1x HD200 (Master Bedroom).
Software: OpenDCT :: WMC Live TV Tuner :: Schedules Direct EPG
Old 08-24-2015, 10:05 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnterNoEscape View Post
I don't think it's the tuning app that's the problem. I believe it has to do with the drivers available for Windows. There isn't a 64-bit driver that can be used to communicate with the box.
oh yeah, I realize that. Just wishing someone writes the app one day. I did have Placeshifter installed on that W7 laptop I updated to W10, and it worked fine afterwards.
Old 08-25-2015, 06:46 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
oh yeah, I realize that. Just wishing someone writes the app one day. I did have Placeshifter installed on that W7 laptop I updated to W10, and it worked fine afterwards.
I don't think that is ever going to happen as it has been an issue for many years with no progress made. There was a big thread on AVSforums about this years ago. And firewire seems to be on its deathbed as well.
Old 08-25-2015, 08:54 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
I don't think that is ever going to happen as it has been an issue for many years with no progress made. There was a big thread on AVSforums about this years ago. And firewire seems to be on its deathbed as well.
strange that it would be included on all the new Cisco boxes...I stubbornly hold out hope. If I had coding in my blood I'd do it myself
Old 08-25-2015, 09:00 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
strange that it would be included on all the new Cisco boxes...I stubbornly hold out hope. If I had coding in my blood I'd do it myself
Do all of the boxes still have FireWire and is it active? I meant more that FireWire is disappearing in the PC world as it is harder to find mobos with FireWire ports although you can get PCIe cards. How many new devices use FireWire these days.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:07 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
If it were legal one might be able to decompile the 32-bit drivers. Would probably be difficult to get it recompiled into something usable though. The unfortunate part about that whole ordeal is, Tim Moore, the originator of the FireWire drivers no longer maintains that package. However, I believe the drivers themselves were originally ripped from drivers for a Panasonic DVHS recorder. All built in an age before 64-bit anything.

It might be easier for someone who knows how to write drivers and knows the FireWire protocol to build them from scratch.

Last edited by Taddeusz; 08-25-2015 at 09:15 AM. Reason: Changed Toshiba to Panasonic
Old 09-12-2016, 04:35 PM
Sage Expert

Has anyone upgraded to Windows 10 Anniversary (Win 10 Pro 1607) update and had issues with the Sage TV Client ?

Mine is now crashing with a stop 0xc0000005 bit I've done a few other changes and want to confirm if its the W10 update....
Old 09-13-2016, 10:38 AM
Sage User

I just updated to windows 10 anniversary edition about a week ago but no issues so far. Running 4 HD300 clients and 1 HD200 client. Not tried the software client since the upgrade.
Other: Homeseer HS3 w/plugins (Zwave, JowiHue, Ecobee, MeiHarmonyHub), Shairport4w,
Old 09-13-2016, 06:08 PM
Sage Aficionado

I'm on anniversary update and client seems to be working fine.

Tags
windows 10