SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Github Development

Notices

SageTV Github Development Discussion related to SageTV Open Source Development. Use this forum for development topics about the Open Source versions of SageTV, hosted on Github.

Old 10-01-2015, 02:58 PM
Sage Aficionado

Where does Sage build the recording file name?

I touched on this in another thread but I didn't want to hijack it further. As my first exercise with the source code I thought I would change the recording file name to not remove spaces and other characters (ex. the periods in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D). I can find where a file name is passed in to be written but the code that "scrubs" the name eludes me
Old 10-01-2015, 03:07 PM
SageTVaholic

ADD Kicking in why oh why would you want periods in a title? Many scrapers see that as spaces and seems it would mess things up a bit.

As for parsing out I haven't looked for that in the code but shouldn't be hard guessing they are creating any time a channel is tuned or a recording starts.
Old 10-01-2015, 11:15 PM
Sage Icon

Looks like maybe line 4249 in MediaFile.java?

"public static String createValidFilename(String tryMe)"
Old 10-02-2015, 04:38 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLUCKYHD View Post
ADD Kicking in why oh why would you want periods in a title? Many scrapers see that as spaces and seems it would mess things up a bit.

As for parsing out I haven't looked for that in the code but shouldn't be hard guessing they are creating any time a channel is tuned or a recording starts.
I'm going to throw in a reminder that in Regular Expressions (RegEx) the dot also signifies any character (including no character in some implementations IIRC) so if you want to create file names that are hard to search for.....
Old 10-02-2015, 05:07 AM
SageTVaholic

Having periods in the strings you are searching FOR has nothing to do with affecting the regex you are using to search for them, if the regex is built correctly. In any case, the region of MediaFile.java is where the names are generated. I can see a use for making a 'custom' naming scheme property entry to enable you to alter the default that sage uses - I also, on current systems, so no reason to exclude spaces and some special characters anymore either (except characters that can't exist in filenames, like drive and path separators).

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 10-02-2015, 05:12 AM
Sage Aficionado

Thanks for the help. I'll take a look at that section.
Old 10-02-2015, 06:26 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtariJeff View Post
Thanks for the help. I'll take a look at that section.
Keep in mind that sage metadata on season and episode number are not always correct in my finding. It's why I decided to name after BMT gets data.
Old 10-02-2015, 09:26 AM
Sage Aficionado

OK I have made my change to bypass the string editing if the property 'keep_original_filenames' is set to true in the Sage.properties file. A quick test did create a valid filename with spaces, etc. that played fine in Placeshifter in Windows 10 (woot, my first contribution to an open source project ). I am going to let it run over the weekend while I'm away and see how it goes.

For anyone interested, my repository is https://github.com/atarijeff/sagetv
Old 10-02-2015, 09:31 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
OK I have made my change to bypass the string editing if the property 'keep_original_filenames' is set to true in the Sage.properties file. A quick test did create a valid filename with spaces, etc. that played fine in Placeshifter in Windows 10 (woot, my first contribution to an open source project ). I am going to let it run over the weekend while I'm away and see how it goes.

You probably want to use "false" as the default for backward compatibility, unless I read it wrong.
Old 10-02-2015, 09:36 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:

The only issue that I see here, is that you may end up with cases whereby you allow characters that are not valid. ie, on Windows "CSI: New Orleans" would not be valid, but, on linux it would. I'm sure there other cases as well. ie, if a title has "/" on linux or "\" on window, etc.

I think a better approach might be to build a whitelist of characters, in addition to the list that Sage is checking (ie, letters and numbers), and this whitelist would need to be different for linux and windows.
Old 10-02-2015, 09:38 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnjj View Post
You probably want to use "false" as the default for backward compatibility, unless I read it wrong.
Ah I think I see what your understanding was. To me, the original file names are the unedited, with spaces, etc. names. I guess it could be read as original being the edited, spaces removed version.

Perhaps a better name is in order.
Old 10-02-2015, 09:48 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Ah I think I see what your understanding was. To me, the original file names are the unedited, with spaces, etc. names. I guess it could be read as original being the edited, spaces removed version.

Perhaps a better name is in order.
I think the name is ok. Didn't you add a new variable? That means the properties file would not have it defined and therefore should be false to not cause the early return if not defined.
Old 10-02-2015, 09:48 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
The only issue that I see here, is that you may end up with cases whereby you allow characters that are not valid. ie, on Windows "CSI: New Orleans" would not be valid, but, on linux it would. I'm sure there other cases as well. ie, if a title has "/" on linux or "\" on window, etc.

I think a better approach might be to build a whitelist of characters, in addition to the list that Sage is checking (ie, letters and numbers), and this whitelist would need to be different for linux and windows.
Agreed. It definitely needs to be more robust. My initial goal was to just get it to pass on the show name and description unchanged. I will have to experiment to see if Kodi will still recognize a show name with the "lightly scrubbed" titles. So "CSI New Orleans" vs "CSI: New Orleans". My suspicion is that it will.
Old 10-02-2015, 09:56 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
I think the name is ok. Didn't you add a new variable? That means the properties file would not have it defined and therefore should be false to not cause the early return if not defined.
Correct. The intention was to retain SageTV's original naming scheme unless the user wanted to turn on the feature specifically. Now that I think of it I should probably get the new variable added to the default properties file somewhere.
Old 10-02-2015, 10:01 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Correct. The intention was to retain SageTV's original naming scheme unless the user wanted to turn on the feature specifically. Now that I think of it I should probably get the new variable added to the default properties file somewhere.

All you need to do is use ", false" in the getBoolean function. I'm pretty sure that's the return value if not defined.

Edit: looks like that's the value when the preferences aren't valid. Will check into what happens if undefined.
Edit2: yes, undefined uses the 2nd argument as the default.

Last edited by wnjj; 10-02-2015 at 10:07 AM.
Old 10-02-2015, 10:42 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
All you need to do is use ", false" in the getBoolean function. I'm pretty sure that's the return value if not defined.

Edit: looks like that's the value when the preferences aren't valid. Will check into what happens if undefined.
Edit2: yes, undefined uses the 2nd argument as the default.
Not only that, but I believe if a property is undefined, and you call getBoolean("property_name", false) then it will not only return false, but will also add "property_name=false" to the .properties file.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 10-02-2015, 10:57 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
Not only that, but I believe if a property is undefined, and you call getBoolean("property_name", false) then it will not only return false, but will also add "property_name=false" to the .properties file.
Which is not reflected in the Sage.properties until sage does a "save"... which is usually just before it shuts down.
Old 10-02-2015, 11:10 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
Which is not reflected in the Sage.properties until sage does a "save"... which is usually just before it shuts down.
It saves that file every 5 minutes worst case if it has changes (part of the Seeker's loop); there's many other operations that cause it to be saved immediately.
Old 10-02-2015, 11:45 AM
Sage Aficionado

I have updated my branch to exclude characters in the file name that Windows does not like. I'm on a Linux system but I'd like the logic to work universally. I won't know until a few days when SageTV tries to record a show called 'LOL :-)' and see a) if it works, and b) what Kodi does with it.
Old 10-02-2015, 12:28 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I have updated my branch to exclude characters in the file name that Windows does not like. I'm on a Linux system but I'd like the logic to work universally. I won't know until a few days when SageTV tries to record a show called 'LOL :-)' and see a) if it works, and b) what Kodi does with it.
You still haven't fixed the default which you'll need if you want it in the core. Wait...or did you?

Last edited by wnjj; 10-02-2015 at 12:31 PM.