SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 05:23 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddyboy View Post
Yeah no pressure Plucky! The only thing that I know of is the app that Andy wrote that basically uses the MCE recording engine as a network tuner. I really need Sage to support Cable Card natively. If they supported it natively then I would make the move. I know that there are a lot of good people on this board, and I know that I would have a lot of help making the transition.
Can I also ask why you are against the hd-pvr and hdfirewire changing. Can't speak for myself , but I set my brother up with two of them and they have worked fairly well now that he has the latest revs.
Old 01-14-2010, 05:46 PM
Sage User

Send a message via Yahoo to Teddyboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLUCKYHD View Post
Can I also ask why you are against the hd-pvr and hdfirewire changing. Can't speak for myself , but I set my brother up with two of them and they have worked fairly well now that he has the latest revs.
Plucky it's another box that I'd have to find a place for. Four if I want the equivalent amount of tuners as the Ceton Card has. That would mean I would end up spending about $800 bucks for the HD-PVRs plus the rental for the boxes from Cox @ $6.25 per HD box. It ends up in rental alone $25 bucks a month or $300 a year just for the HD boxes. It's just isn't very practical for me not to mention the mess of wires and space requirements. Not everyone has a closet to stick all this stuff. Even if I did I still wouldn't go for it because of the high cost of STB rental from cox vs 2.00 a month rental for the cable card.

I want it to be all in one box.

Trust me I need four tuners! Right now I only have three DCTs. I could really use a fourth one. I keep a some of my recordings for a long time so that I can watch them at my leisure which is why I have a TB is disk space devoted to them. I could actually use 2TBs.

The HD-PVR is a neat little box, but it's not very practical for my needs.

Last edited by Teddyboy; 01-14-2010 at 06:02 PM.
Old 01-14-2010, 05:59 PM
Sage User

Send a message via Yahoo to Teddyboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechJunkie View Post
I am not mistaken. this is what originally appeared in the blogs about WHS v2 before Win7 or 2008 R2 was released. I understand things change as time goes on that is why everyone here that use WHS was hoping for something from Microsoft as CES. I did not claim an absolute WHS will be based on Win7. If you have an inside source or a reliable on that WHS v2 will be based on, please share. I am sure everyone would like to know where the information comes from.
No worries Tech! I wasn't trying to call ya out or anything, but what you're refering to was a long time ago. W7 and 2008 R2 are part of the same code base. One of the reasons WHS is so rock solid is that it's underlying structure is based on Server 2003. I was hoping to hear something about Vail as well during CES, but not a word was uttered. It's project release date is supposed to be the end of this year.

I don't have any inside sources most of what I get are from listening to podcasts, winsupersite, and some other blogs. Everything is locked down so tight right now it's hard to find any information, but this is all I could find at the moment. right here.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:46 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
No worries Tech! I wasn't trying to call ya out or anything, but what you're refering to was a long time ago. W7 and 2008 R2 are part of the same code base. One of the reasons WHS is so rock solid is that it's underlying structure is based on Server 2003. I was hoping to hear something about Vail as well during CES, but not a word was uttered. It's project release date is supposed to be the end of this year.

I don't have any inside sources most of what I get are from listening to podcasts, winsupersite, and some other blogs. Everything is locked down so tight right now it's hard to find any information, but this is all I could find at the moment. right here.
Yes I agree. I am very frustrated waiting for a 64bit version of WHS. Be nice to be able to use more then 4 gigs of mem. I will just have to sit back and wait and enjoy what i have. Thanks for the link.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:48 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueOnda View Post
Been reading all the cable cards talks and sage is working on a flashy-er 3D ui. But what about the SageTV Linux on a stick. Did that not been mentioned again? Are they still working on that or did they abandon it?
That has not been mentioned in a little while - but don't forget that this hooply over a flash UI just comes from Dave Zatz's comments from CES. And I believe the CableCard talk is all pure speculation based on the fact that there are soon to be several new CableCard tuners from Ceton, SiliconDust and Hauppauge.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:18 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Plucky it's another box that I'd have to find a place for. Four if I want the equivalent amount of tuners as the Ceton Card has. That would mean I would end up spending about $800 bucks for the HD-PVRs plus the rental for the boxes from Cox @ $6.25 per HD box. It ends up in rental alone $25 bucks a month or $300 a year just for the HD boxes. It's just isn't very practical for me not to mention the mess of wires and space requirements. Not everyone has a closet to stick all this stuff. Even if I did I still wouldn't go for it because of the high cost of STB rental from cox vs 2.00 a month rental for the cable card.

I want it to be all in one box.

Trust me I need four tuners! Right now I only have three DCTs. I could really use a fourth one. I keep a some of my recordings for a long time so that I can watch them at my leisure which is why I have a TB is disk space devoted to them. I could actually use 2TBs.

The HD-PVR is a neat little box, but it's not very practical for my needs.
I hear you but it is also a price for no drm if your cox is like my cox they dvr everything but locals and that will keep my off cablecard.

I have to admit the mediaroom has me interested as I use uverse for premium HDTV and sage for OTA
Old 01-14-2010, 07:41 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
And I believe the CableCard talk is all pure speculation based on the fact that there are soon to be several new CableCard tuners from Ceton, SiliconDust and Hauppauge.
I believe the serious talk about CC is regarding Andy's (babgvant) SageMCTuner network encoder. Most don't seriously expect CableCard support built into Sage for the time being.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:17 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
Most don't seriously expect CableCard support built into Sage for the time being.
We know SiliconDust wants to support copy-freely programming in things like SageTV. I think there's a small chance we'll see that. It doesn't necessarily give us anything beyond what we can already do with SageMCTuner though, unless they can get it working without Windows 7.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:19 PM
Sage Advanced User

How about a complete rewrite from the ground up in a compiled language instead of JAVA.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:35 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyle View Post
How about a complete rewrite from the ground up in a compiled language instead of JAVA.
IANAPE (I am not a programming expert) but doesn't writing it in Java make it much easier to be OS agnostic and to have releases for Win, Linux and Mac at the same time? Not that I personally care about anything other than Win.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:52 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyle View Post
Why?
Old 01-18-2010, 04:11 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigo93bronco View Post
You know you can change/add/remove/rename the menues usings neilms menu plugin right?
I know. And with SageMC a lot more customization. But I have one question. Who's going to pay me to do this? I get paid to do this type of work on a daily basis, so it isn't something I also want to do as a hobby.

I want a complete solution, that yes, has some room for tweaking, but where I don't have to essentially create an entire UI myself and apply and endless number of plugins or develop my own code to force/twist it into doing what I actually want. Damn, I'd be running MythTV if I wanted to spend all my time working instead of actually enjoying the product.

Trailers -> not commercials. A very quick way to decide whether or not you want to watch the movie. When you have a library of hundreds of movies, it's nice to be able to take a 1 to 2 minute quick-peek to see if you want to dedicate the next 1.5 to 3 hours on that flick. I download every trailer from Apple and keep it right next to the movie. That way I don't have to remember every detail about the movie when someone asks "what's that about again?"
Old 01-18-2010, 04:16 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
Why?
Yeah, there's no need to re-write the whole app in a compiled language like C. As long as things like drivers have decent performance, the UI and business logic can be run perfectly well through an interpreter. Decoders make sense to write in C, but they're not part of the main app anyway - so you can already get all kinds of different ones for Windows. And in the case of an extender, all that goodness is baked into silicon.

Having the base in Java is what has enabled Sage to support three different platforms. That's a good thing.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:24 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedMelon View Post
I know. And with SageMC a lot more customization. But I have one question. Who's going to pay me to do this? I get paid to do this type of work on a daily basis, so it isn't something I also want to do as a hobby.

I want a complete solution, that yes, has some room for tweaking, but where I don't have to essentially create an entire UI myself and apply and endless number of plugins or develop my own code to force/twist it into doing what I actually want. Damn, I'd be running MythTV if I wanted to spend all my time working instead of actually enjoying the product.

Trailers -> not commercials. A very quick way to decide whether or not you want to watch the movie. When you have a library of hundreds of movies, it's nice to be able to take a 1 to 2 minute quick-peek to see if you want to dedicate the next 1.5 to 3 hours on that flick. I download every trailer from Apple and keep it right next to the movie. That way I don't have to remember every detail about the movie when someone asks "what's that about again?"
It sounds like you've already spent more time downloading all the trailers and such than it takes to rearrange menu's with the dynamic menu import. It really is incredably easy. If you want to organize your movies further by genre and such, the Malore style dual-pane navigation is VERY easy to browse through.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 01-18-2010, 04:27 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:

Just FYI the trailers you have can work automatically with the mymovies port coming.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:46 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
It sounds like you've already spent more time downloading all the trailers and such than it takes to rearrange menu's with the dynamic menu import.
I wrote some code to download the trailers and metadata automatically from Apple's servers. It's fully automated, including folder creation and file naming.

Quote:
It really is incredably easy. If you want to organize your movies further by genre and such, the Malore style dual-pane navigation is VERY easy to browse through.
Moving some menu entries around isn't creating a new UI. SageTV needs a new UI, not just moving some menu entries around.

You really should look at a program like Boxee for videos or Squeezebox Server for music. You're thinking inside the box. Automatic aggregation is completely missing from SageTV. It doesn't matter how much time I would spend organizing files outside of SageTV as it won't affect what happens in the UI.

The general public (who Sage can definitely sell extenders to) isn't interested in installing plugins and making endless tweaks. They just want something that works. I'm leaning toward this more all the time myself as I've mentioned.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:38 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggie14 View Post
We know SiliconDust wants to support copy-freely programming in things like SageTV. I think there's a small chance we'll see that. It doesn't necessarily give us anything beyond what we can already do with SageMCTuner though, unless they can get it working without Windows 7.
It will get you a supported retail solution; given the choice I'd go with that
Old 01-20-2010, 09:19 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I wrote some code to download the trailers and metadata automatically from Apple's servers. It's fully automated, including folder creation and file naming.

Moving some menu entries around isn't creating a new UI. SageTV needs a new UI, not just moving some menu entries around.

You really should look at a program like Boxee for videos or Squeezebox Server for music. You're thinking inside the box. Automatic aggregation is completely missing from SageTV. It doesn't matter how much time I would spend organizing files outside of SageTV as it won't affect what happens in the UI.

The general public (who Sage can definitely sell extenders to) isn't interested in installing plugins and making endless tweaks. They just want something that works. I'm leaning toward this more all the time myself as I've mentioned.
So what specific feature are you looking for that Boxee and Squeezebox have? I find this all the time in these 'UI Refresh' discussions. People point to other platforms, and say 'that UI is better', but what ABOUT it is better? The point is, everyone has different ideas of what is best. Personally, I like that sage has stuck with basic functionality, but opened it up for full customization, so the enthusiasts (their primary market) can make it do what they, themselves, want. Over the years, the features that have been used by a majority of the user-base, have started making their way into the main product, like the Malore browser.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 02-09-2010, 06:58 AM
Sage User

I'm a STV newbie after years of Beyond TV and am now committed to SageTV. So far, everything except Slimplayer software version is working great.

Does anyone have a clue as to what is in the next beta release? When might it occur? Native support for SqueezeBox would get my vote for a feature.

Can't wait to see the new beta.
2 Laptop Clients, 2 PlaceShifters
Old 02-09-2010, 07:02 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanONH View Post
I'm a STV newbie after years of Beyond TV and am now committed to SageTV. So far, everything except Slimplayer software version is working great.

Does anyone have a clue as to what is in the next beta release? When might it occur? Native support for SqueezeBox would get my vote for a feature.

Can't wait to see the new beta.
No clue, except some sort of new UI. No release date. Welcome to SageTV though, it's a great product, I hope you'll enjoy it as much as we do!
Software: Sage Server 7.1.9 on Windows 7 (Virtualized in ESXi)
Clients: i3-2105, ASRock Z68 Pro3-M, 4GB DDR3 1600, 64GB SATA III (OS), 2TB WD Green (Recording), PNY GT 430 // 2 x HD-300
Closed Thread