SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 08-21-2019, 02:05 AM
Sage Advanced User

Sage x64 install, can't specify recording or import directories

I had all of the info below the dotted line typed but was verifying something before posting and I found the issue. I'll leave the previous message below for background.

What's happening is the new Sagex64 is starting the old Sagex86 service. This breaks the X64 version, causing the problem of not being able to specify directories.

I have two services installed now, "SageTV" and "SageTV64". I have shut down SageTV x86 and stopped the service. When SageTV x64 starts it hangs for quite awhile on "SageTV service is initiallizing". When it finally starts it has started the SageTV service, not the SageTV64 service. This is with both services set to "Automatic". If I manually start the SageTV64 service first the program loads immediately and I have access to all the expected menu items, I can add directories.

I then set the SageTV service to "manual" and the SageTV64 to "Automatic" and it still started the old service. And then it gets confusing.......

I set the old service to "Disabled", leaving the new service on "Automatic". Voila! X64 starts as expected, works fine except......the SageTV64 service hasn't started. the only way it starts is if you start it manually (although it may start itself if I reboot, something I can't test right now).

Finally, I manually started both services, then started the X64 version of SageTV. It loaded the x86 service, breaking it.

There were comments on the download thread about being able to run both versions, just not at the same time, as well as each version having it's own service. However, if you don't not only stop the old service but also disable it, the x64 version breaks.

Unless I'm missing or misunderstanding something.
I installed x64 on the same PC (Win 7 Pro) I have the Sagex86 (V9.1.5.683) installed on. x86 is installed on the C: drive. I installed x64 on the E: drive. The install went fine but during setup, where you choose import and recording directories, I can't choose anything. I wanted to point it to the same directory that Sage x86 uses but the only choices I have are "Cancel", Specify" and "Hidden Directories".

I tried "Specify" and gave it the path, D:\Videos, but it says it doesn't exist. I tried just making a new directory, giving it a temp name, to see what would happen, where it would put it. Nothing happens. I get the "Doesn't Exist" message, click on "Yes" to tell it to create it and......nothing. Just sits there with the "Doesn't Exist" message still on the screen asking if I want to create it.

On the old Sage install when you choose "Add Directory" you get, among other options, New Directory, Select Current and Up Directory. None of that shows in the x64 install. On the right hand side of the there is a Network choice.

I finished the install without specifying directories then went into Detailed Setup and ran into the same issue.
Old 08-21-2019, 09:31 AM
Sage Icon

It looks like the code in the launcher that starts and stops the service doesn’t have the proper hooks for 64-bit mode. Everything in there refers to the service as “sagetv”. There needs to be some #ifdefs for 64-bit mode to call out “sagetv64”.

I’m really busy for the next couple weeks but can try building a fix for you to test when I get a little time or another dev may be able to in the meantime.

Nice troubleshooting work there.

Probably a good time to also increase the default heap size for 64-bit mode since that’s the point of using it.

Last edited by wnjj; 08-21-2019 at 09:34 AM.
Old 08-21-2019, 11:46 PM
Sage Advanced User

Something else just occurred to me, not sure if it's something you need to look at or not but I'll throw it out here just in case.

During one of the iterations of playing with the services SageTVx64 already had my source info as well as my cable provider. When I ran it either with the x64 service, or no service (sorry, can't remember which it was), that was blank, as you'd expect on a new install.

Does that mean that in addition to using the x86 service it was reading at least some setup info from the SageTVx86 install?
Old 08-22-2019, 12:51 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remo View Post
Something else just occurred to me, not sure if it's something you need to look at or not but I'll throw it out here just in case.

During one of the iterations of playing with the services SageTVx64 already had my source info as well as my cable provider. When I ran it either with the x64 service, or no service (sorry, can't remember which it was), that was blank, as you'd expect on a new install.

Does that mean that in addition to using the x86 service it was reading at least some setup info from the SageTVx86 install?
If it was using the x86 service, that would refer to the entire x86 install path and properties.
Old 08-22-2019, 03:08 AM
Sage Advanced User

I checked my services and I have 2 SageTV services, both not running unless I start one of my servers. It's odd that Sage64 grabs the 32-bit service. It really could use a different name. (Reiterating)

I haven't had this issue. The only issue I had was I'd lost EVR for 64-bit, not related to the SageTV installer.

ASUS P7H55D-EVO LGA 1156 Motherboard, Intel Core I5-661, 2X Crucial Ballistix XMS3 2GB RAM, 2x Mushkin Blackline 4G RAM, EVGA GT 1030SC, 1x Samsung 250g SSD, 1x WD80EFAX 8TB, 2x WDBH2D0040HNC 4TB, USB-UIRT, ASUS Blu-Ray SATA drive, HD-PVR2, WinTV dualHD, Windows 7 64bit
Old 08-22-2019, 09:41 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malfunction View Post
I checked my services and I have 2 SageTV services, both not running unless I start one of my servers. It's odd that Sage64 grabs the 32-bit service. It really could use a different name. (Reiterating)

I haven't had this issue. The only issue I had was I'd lost EVR for 64-bit, not related to the SageTV installer.
If you start the services using SageTVServiceControl it works ok. That dialog box is built in Java. The place where I found the lack of 64-bit support is in the code that builds SageTV.exe. I didnít look at all that is does but I think it can launch service mode automatically if itís not already running and through optional command line switches. If you use the first method and let Windows start it up I think itís ok. I am surprised nobody else ran into this.

Honestly since I donít use service mode Iím wasnít even too familiar with all the ways to start, stop, etc.
Old 08-22-2019, 06:33 PM
Sage Advanced User

I vaquely remember that I had the same problem initially. I think I had to change the path so the x64 service pointed to the right (x64) folder.
Old 08-22-2019, 07:05 PM
Sage Icon

The 64-bit service is named "SageTV64" and the 32-bit one is named "SageTV". The source code for the launchers builds SageTVService.exe and SageTV.exe. SageTVService.exe directly calls out "SageTV" (the 32-bit one) and needs updated for 64-bit. SageTV.exe will work with the 64-bit service if it's already started. If it's not, it will start the 32-bit one (also needs updated).

Using SageTVServiceControl.exe to start the service, then running SageTV.exe or SageTVClient.exe to connect to it should work fine.
Old 09-06-2019, 11:45 AM
Sage Icon

The commit to fix the service name has been pulled so will make the next build. If anyone really wants the fixed .exe's I can always post them here. I suspect most users leave the service running or have Windows start it anyway so likely few will know the difference.

I also made the default heap size 1G for 64-bit.

I realize I forgot to update the changelog so maybe the next dev to make edits can add my commit comments to it.