SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #21  
Old 08-09-2019, 02:15 PM
nyplayer nyplayer is offline
SageTVaholic
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 4,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
I agree 100% and the thing that I find lacking in pretty much all of the options to SageTV are the ability to skip around the file. Almost all of my use of Sage is for sports and I am constantly skipping commercial breaks, half times, timeouts, etc. Sage is awesome to skip around and most other options, including Plex and online streaming, are way inferior.
Channels DVR does Comskip also remote Viewing of recordings built in.... Also able to record from YouTube TV Philo etc ... Also allows editing of EDL using a web gui.
__________________
Windows 10 I3 Dual Core 3.0 Server, SageTV9... OpenDCT with 2 HDHRPrimes and 4 HDHRconnects for a total of 14 Tuners.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 08-09-2019, 02:30 PM
wayner wayner is offline
SageTVaholic
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 6,577
I don't mean Comskip - I mean pressing SkipFwd and skipping ahead 10 seconds, SkipFwdx2 and be able to skip forward by 150 seconds, and to be able to change those skip times easily within the UI. And then for the skipping to be instantaneous when you press those buttons.
__________________
New Server - Sage9 on unRAID 2xHD-PVR, HDHR for OTA
Old Server - Sage7 on Win7Pro-i660CPU with 4.6TB, HD-PVR, HDHR OTA, HVR-1850 OTA
Clients - 2xHD-300, 8xHD-200 Extenders, Client+2xPlaceshifter and a WHS which acts as a backup Sage server
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 08-09-2019, 04:22 PM
nyplayer nyplayer is offline
SageTVaholic
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 4,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
I don't mean Comskip - I mean pressing SkipFwd and skipping ahead 10 seconds, SkipFwdx2 and be able to skip forward by 150 seconds, and to be able to change those skip times easily within the UI. And then for the skipping to be instantaneous when you press those buttons.
Channels DVR has that built in the Client UI You can set "Seek Back" "Seek Forward" .... "Sports Seek Back" Sports Seek Forward"
__________________
Windows 10 I3 Dual Core 3.0 Server, SageTV9... OpenDCT with 2 HDHRPrimes and 4 HDHRconnects for a total of 14 Tuners.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 08-09-2019, 05:59 PM
KarylFStein KarylFStein is offline
Sage Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Westland, Michigan, USA
Posts: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
Channels DVR has that built in the Client UI You can set "Seek Back" "Seek Forward" .... "Sports Seek Back" Sports Seek Forward"
Yeah, it's not everything SageTV for sure, but it does have some solid things about it that other choices do not. There is nothing like STV out there I'd say, but Channels is my main DVR now. I still use STV for some Groovy things like premier alerts and as a backup for sports recordings with SRE, but the tipping point for me was automatic comskip support (not a delete like Plex) and skip along with a better remote streaming / Android (+5.1 audio) experience. I travel a bit for work and the STV options just didn't cut it especially when my work cut off access to install things like Placeshifter on my work laptop and I had to rely on the mini-client on my personal tablet. I'm still rooting for STV and not pushing Channels, but for my use case it works well. Plus while neither Channels nor STV offer downloading of files for offline access, (e.g. filling up my tablet before a trip), Channels uses a naming convention for files that merges seamlessly with Emby. Before I used Plex for that or just plugged my tablet into my computer, but cutting out Plex is another positive for me.
__________________
Home Network: https://karylstein.com/technology.html
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 08-09-2019, 06:25 PM
nyplayer nyplayer is offline
SageTVaholic
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 4,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarylFStein View Post
Yeah, it's not everything SageTV for sure, but it does have some solid things about it that other choices do not. There is nothing like STV out there I'd say, but Channels is my main DVR now. I still use STV for some Groovy things like premier alerts and as a backup for sports recordings with SRE, but the tipping point for me was automatic comskip support (not a delete like Plex) and skip along with a better remote streaming / Android (+5.1 audio) experience. I travel a bit for work and the STV options just didn't cut it especially when my work cut off access to install things like Placeshifter on my work laptop and I had to rely on the mini-client on my personal tablet. I'm still rooting for STV and not pushing Channels, but for my use case it works well. Plus while neither Channels nor STV offer downloading of files for offline access, (e.g. filling up my tablet before a trip), Channels uses a naming convention for files that merges seamlessly with Emby. Before I used Plex for that or just plugged my tablet into my computer, but cutting out Plex is another positive for me.
I run both in my HouseHold ... but my main is also Channels DVR ... In my household some use exclusively SageTV. They coexist very nicely together as long as you use OPENDCT. I love TV Everywhere XFINITY.
__________________
Windows 10 I3 Dual Core 3.0 Server, SageTV9... OpenDCT with 2 HDHRPrimes and 4 HDHRconnects for a total of 14 Tuners.

Last edited by nyplayer; 08-09-2019 at 06:27 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 08-12-2019, 05:11 AM
tmiranda's Avatar
tmiranda tmiranda is offline
SageTVaholic
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Central Florida, USA
Posts: 5,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarylFStein View Post
...Plus while neither Channels nor STV offer downloading of files for offline access, (e.g. filling up my tablet before a trip), ...
I've thought about doing a plugin for that but didn't think there was much of a demand. How many people do you think would be interested in this?
__________________

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 08-12-2019, 03:34 PM
KarylFStein KarylFStein is offline
Sage Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Westland, Michigan, USA
Posts: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post
I've thought about doing a plugin for that but didn't think there was much of a demand. How many people do you think would be interested in this?
I don't think I've seen it mentioned before...

It's useful for me because I can forget to load things in advance, so end up downloading some things at the gate, or end up watching more on the plane than I thought and want to load some things for the trip back. Although I've been trying to read more or get some work done. But it's hard for me to concentrate on the plane with the low pressure and all. Plex or Emby work fine and they can transcode before sending as well.
__________________
Home Network: https://karylstein.com/technology.html
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 09-15-2019, 12:19 PM
wayner wayner is offline
SageTVaholic
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 6,577
I installed the Jellyfin docker and it was up and running pretty quickly. Initially I just added my Movies folder and it seemed to work quickly and painless. I also added one of my HDHRs and I was also able to watch LiveTV immediately. Looks pretty good although the lack of an iOS app is certainly an issue for me.
__________________
New Server - Sage9 on unRAID 2xHD-PVR, HDHR for OTA
Old Server - Sage7 on Win7Pro-i660CPU with 4.6TB, HD-PVR, HDHR OTA, HVR-1850 OTA
Clients - 2xHD-300, 8xHD-200 Extenders, Client+2xPlaceshifter and a WHS which acts as a backup Sage server
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 09-15-2019, 02:18 PM
wayner wayner is offline
SageTVaholic
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 6,577
I spoke too soon - Jellyfin doesn't seem to be able to properly handled SageTV RecordedTV files as it doesn't seem to recognize show name, etc from my files.
__________________
New Server - Sage9 on unRAID 2xHD-PVR, HDHR for OTA
Old Server - Sage7 on Win7Pro-i660CPU with 4.6TB, HD-PVR, HDHR OTA, HVR-1850 OTA
Clients - 2xHD-300, 8xHD-200 Extenders, Client+2xPlaceshifter and a WHS which acts as a backup Sage server
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My HD Future unkyjoe General Discussion 13 12-01-2007 08:04 PM
From the future... bcjenkins Hardware Support 11 05-25-2007 03:20 AM
stv with most future aoehlke SageTV Customizations 10 05-25-2005 03:55 PM
The Future? Xleon SageTV Recorder Software 13 08-23-2003 09:48 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2003-2005 SageTV, LLC. All rights reserved.