SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:02 PM
Sage Advanced User

Question about moving from Dish to Cable

Sorry if this is completely uneducated, but I can't seem to figure out a clear answer. I've always had Dish Network, and am running a PVR-250. I've been looking at switching to Insight cable due to cost and bundling.
From what I've read and been told, I'm confused about the encryption. Some people said the 250 will not work, some said I had to have an Insight DVR box and run out of that to the 250, etc.
Would someone mind clarifying what I need? Thanks for any help!
Old 08-25-2011, 05:45 AM
Sage Aficionado

The PVR 250 has an analog tuner, so you will need a set top box (It doesn't have to be a DVR, an ordinary box will do) to decode the signal, which I assume is digital. You can hook the PVR 250 to the box via an s-video, composite or coax cable, depending on your card's input jacks. You'll need an IR blaster to change channels on the box.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:47 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks, I was being told it wouldn't work. I use the Dish tuner with a blaster, I was just wondering if I could replace the Dish box with a cable one without any fuss.
I was thinking about upgrading. If I wanted HD, can I just upgrade to a Colossus or something, and use the cable box? Or is there something else I need? Is a Colossus a good choice?
Old 08-26-2011, 04:56 AM
Sage Aficionado

You'll need either a Colossus or HD PVR for HD recordings. Both connect to your STB's component output. The Colossus is an internal card (PCIe) and the HD PVR is an external box connected to your usb port. From what I've read on this forum, the HD PVR seems to be a little more stable and it's what I currently have hooked up to my STB (without any problems.) Nevertheless, people have had success and problems with both, so read the numerous posts on each before you decide.