SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Clients Development

Notices

SageTV Clients Development This forum is for discussions relating to SageTV Open Source Clients Development.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #741  
Old 08-08-2021, 12:35 PM
hvymetal hvymetal is offline
Sage User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 59
Not sure why everyone is trying to use Sage client remotely directly. Why not set up VPN so it is more secure. I use wireguard(Sideloaded) directly on a fireTV stick. The sever is a cheap GliNet router(GL-MT300) that has the factory firmware with OpenWRT backend and have wireguard GUI built in. Also the advantage of using VPN you will also be able to use other services(Amazon, NetFlix, Disney+, HULU, and secure web browering) when traveling internationally. Also Wiregaurd has a client app for Andriod and IOS.

Just as example I just traveled to Europe while using the fireTV stick. Was able to use the mini client by using transcoding always 3000kps/720P with no problem. Not best quality as being local but served its purpose. The only problem I seen was fast forward was not very responsive and it would lock sometimes. Commercial skip was ok.
Reply With Quote
  #742  
Old 08-08-2021, 12:47 PM
nyplayer nyplayer is offline
SageTVaholic
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 4,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvymetal View Post
Not sure why everyone is trying to use Sage client remotely directly. Why not set up VPN so it is more secure. I use wireguard(Sideloaded) directly on a fireTV stick. The sever is a cheap GliNet router(GL-MT300) that has the factory firmware with OpenWRT backend and have wireguard GUI built in. Also the advantage of using VPN you will also be able to use other services(Amazon, NetFlix, Disney+, HULU, and secure web browering) when traveling internationally. Also Wiregaurd has a client app for Andriod and IOS.

Just as example I just traveled to Europe while using the fireTV stick. Was able to use the mini client by using transcoding always 3000kps/720P with no problem. Not best quality as being local but served its purpose. The only problem I seen was fast forward was not very responsive and it would lock sometimes. Commercial skip was ok.
The Miniclients work great remotely without a VPN so why would I install something extra that is not needed to access SageTV remotely ?
__________________
Windows 10 I3 Dual Core 3.0 Server, SageTV9... OpenDCT with 2 HDHRPrimes and 4 HDHRconnects for a total of 14 Tuners.
Reply With Quote
  #743  
Old 08-08-2021, 01:30 PM
hvymetal hvymetal is offline
Sage User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
The Miniclients work great remotely without a VPN so why would I install something extra that is not needed to access SageTV remotely ?
If you do not care of security or believe in security by obscurity....you don't. I on the other hand do not trust opening my SageTV server directly to the internet. From my experience security by obscurity does not cut it anymore. Especially using a remote connection in Europe where hacking is a fulltime career

Last edited by hvymetal; 08-08-2021 at 01:41 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #744  
Old 08-08-2021, 01:52 PM
nyplayer nyplayer is offline
SageTVaholic
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 4,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvymetal View Post
If you do not care of security or believe in security by obscurity....you don't. I on the other hand do not trust opening my SageTV server directly to the internet. From my experience security by obscurity does not cut it anymore. Especially using a remote connection in Europe where hacking is a fulltime career
Have had it open for over10 years no problem.
__________________
Windows 10 I3 Dual Core 3.0 Server, SageTV9... OpenDCT with 2 HDHRPrimes and 4 HDHRconnects for a total of 14 Tuners.
Reply With Quote
  #745  
Old 08-08-2021, 04:24 PM
phelme's Avatar
phelme phelme is offline
Sage Icon
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by ojones View Post
Phelme - is your use case over lan or wan?

I think it may matter. Over lan the 1.8.1 was flawless for me (and I think most of us)... introduce lag and packet loss from wan (even fast wan) and 1.8.1 stops where 1.8.0 keeps going. Using Exo in my case.
sorry for the late response, don't get on here as much as I use to.

to answer your question, it's over a WAN. I may change that in the future, but none of the streamers have a problem (including using Plex for local media).

I think I figured out my problem though, the stick is running out of storage! Google, because they are apparently going broke , only spec'd 8 GB of overall storage on the Chromecast w/GTV. I've run out of the roughly 4.4GB of space that gives the consumer for apps & their caching. I checked and it was running at 0 MB free.

So what I believe i is happening is the OS on the stick is trying to free up space constantly to give the Mini client some cache space and this was causing the halts. I'm going to do the USB hub with a stick drive attached mod to get around this.
Reply With Quote
  #746  
Old 08-14-2021, 12:21 PM
boukmandutty boukmandutty is offline
Sage Advanced User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Norman OK
Posts: 92
h264 Playback

I notice that for my normal OTA recording with my HDHomeRun everything is smooth with the MiniClient.

For recordings with my BM1000 type device that produces h.264/5 ts files however, there are problems with playback that force me to go to another room and use a pc frontend. The files will start playing and just do strange things like jump back to the start and looping continuously, or just jump to the end.

Is there some setting for h.264 ts files that I might have overlooked?
Reply With Quote
  #747  
Old 08-17-2021, 03:57 PM
phelme's Avatar
phelme phelme is offline
Sage Icon
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by boukmandutty View Post
I notice that for my normal OTA recording with my HDHomeRun everything is smooth with the MiniClient.

For recordings with my BM1000 type device that produces h.264/5 ts files however, there are problems with playback that force me to go to another room and use a pc frontend. The files will start playing and just do strange things like jump back to the start and looping continuously, or just jump to the end.

Is there some setting for h.264 ts files that I might have overlooked?
it's not you, it's them. I have similar problems with HD-PVR TS recordings with both playback methods. once they are converted to MKV (which I do overnight) they're fine. if you go back in the thread, somewhere the issue is discussed.

one tip though when using problem TS files, do a jump and then wait. Sometimes it'll stick and do what you expect.
Reply With Quote
  #748  
Old 08-18-2021, 02:39 PM
jvl711's Avatar
jvl711 jvl711 is offline
Sage Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 750
Hi All,

This is somewhat a repost from my Patreon account. I wanted to let you guys know what I have been working on. I have published a beta for my Supporters to take a look at. In the mean time, while they beat it up and give me feedback, here are some details.

Added remuxing support to Android Client and SageTV

I know this is a long time in coming. Honestly the Android Client and SageTV changes to get this to work were fairly straight forward. It is the other issues which I am struggling to find resolutions to. I think, but am not sure, that these are core bugs. I am going to post them as limitations at this point, but I will tell you that I am continuing to look into them. I have not given up on them yet!

Know Issues:
  • When remuxing (or transcoding for that matter), live tv transition from one timeslot/program to another does not always work. Sometimes playback just freezes. I have commited changes to try and resolve this, which have not completely resolved it.
  • Sometimes, Android client gets confused on the time position. This is a newer issue I have not seen before, and I need to investigate further. I think Sage looses track of the time of the current playback position.

To use the new beta version of the client, you will need to use the beta Sage.jar. All changes to the Sage.jar have been pushed to the master SageTV repository, and have been reviewed by Jeff, but they are still beta, and would not be available in production until a new release is published.

I think the best use case currently for this addition is to remux unsupported containers, but it can be used to remux all containers. My plan is to give the end user the ability to turn on/off container support. This way Sage could be forced to remux a specific container, even if it is "supported" by the client. For instance the pesky .TS/.PS containers.

Let me know if you guys have any specific questions. I will try and update you guys on the progress of the beta.

Josh
__________________
Projects I am currently maintaining
SageTV Andoid Client
Media Format Parser Plugin
JavaFFmpegLibrary
SageTVTranscoder

If you like the work I am doing and would like to support it you can become a Patreon member.
Reply With Quote
  #749  
Old 08-26-2021, 10:47 AM
jvl711's Avatar
jvl711 jvl711 is offline
Sage Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvl711 View Post
Hi All,

This is somewhat a repost from my Patreon account. I wanted to let you guys know what I have been working on. I have published a beta for my Supporters to take a look at. In the mean time, while they beat it up and give me feedback, here are some details.

Added remuxing support to Android Client and SageTV

I know this is a long time in coming. Honestly the Android Client and SageTV changes to get this to work were fairly straight forward. It is the other issues which I am struggling to find resolutions to. I think, but am not sure, that these are core bugs. I am going to post them as limitations at this point, but I will tell you that I am continuing to look into them. I have not given up on them yet!

Know Issues:
  • When remuxing (or transcoding for that matter), live tv transition from one timeslot/program to another does not always work. Sometimes playback just freezes. I have commited changes to try and resolve this, which have not completely resolved it.
  • Sometimes, Android client gets confused on the time position. This is a newer issue I have not seen before, and I need to investigate further. I think Sage looses track of the time of the current playback position.

To use the new beta version of the client, you will need to use the beta Sage.jar. All changes to the Sage.jar have been pushed to the master SageTV repository, and have been reviewed by Jeff, but they are still beta, and would not be available in production until a new release is published.

I think the best use case currently for this addition is to remux unsupported containers, but it can be used to remux all containers. My plan is to give the end user the ability to turn on/off container support. This way Sage could be forced to remux a specific container, even if it is "supported" by the client. For instance the pesky .TS/.PS containers.

Let me know if you guys have any specific questions. I will try and update you guys on the progress of the beta.

Josh
Just a follow up that I am pretty sure that I have finally solved the Live TV program transition issue that has plagued me for many months. I posted a new Beta to my Patreon supporters that has Remuxing support, and fixed live tv remuxing/transcoding.

I am currently testing this release in my production SageTV setup. If I see no issues, and do not get any show stoppers from the Patreon crew I am going to release this to production. I would expect that to happen in a few weeks.

Thanks,
Josh
__________________
Projects I am currently maintaining
SageTV Andoid Client
Media Format Parser Plugin
JavaFFmpegLibrary
SageTVTranscoder

If you like the work I am doing and would like to support it you can become a Patreon member.
Reply With Quote
  #750  
Old 08-28-2021, 10:33 AM
wayner wayner is online now
SageTVaholic
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 7,189
I haven't used the ATV client recently. What are the best devices for ATV? I used a MiBox in the past and it was mediocre. Are the current options the Shield and the newer Google Chromecast? Anything else? If there is another thread with this info then please point me there.
__________________
New Server - Sage9 on unRAID 2xHD-PVR, HDHR for OTA
Old Server - Sage7 on Win7Pro-i660CPU with 4.6TB, HD-PVR, HDHR OTA, HVR-1850 OTA
Clients - 2xHD-300, 8xHD-200 Extenders, Client+2xPlaceshifter and a WHS which acts as a backup Sage server
Reply With Quote
  #751  
Old 09-05-2021, 11:55 AM
phelme's Avatar
phelme phelme is offline
Sage Icon
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
I haven't used the ATV client recently. What are the best devices for ATV? I used a MiBox in the past and it was mediocre. Are the current options the Shield and the newer Google Chromecast? Anything else? If there is another thread with this info then please point me there.
The GoogleTV w/Chromecast and the Amazon 4K FireTV stick are about equal and relatively inexpensive. The FireTV stick is superior IMO because it supports AC3 on-board and that format is in a lot of the content I still record. Plex has to transcode the audio on the server end because of this. Not sure what Google was thinking here.

Edit: BTW. Amazon just announced a newer, faster version of the 4K Fire Stick.

Last edited by phelme; 09-09-2021 at 12:40 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #752  
Old 09-09-2021, 06:53 AM
nyplayer nyplayer is offline
SageTVaholic
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 4,574
Is there a way to get the miniclient to support Close Captions natively ? Right now I have to extract the CC to subtitles.
__________________
Windows 10 I3 Dual Core 3.0 Server, SageTV9... OpenDCT with 2 HDHRPrimes and 4 HDHRconnects for a total of 14 Tuners.
Reply With Quote
  #753  
Old 09-10-2021, 07:47 AM
jvl711's Avatar
jvl711 jvl711 is offline
Sage Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 750
New version has been posted to Google and Amazon. If they are approved they should hopefully go live in the next day or so.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/55996234

The main feature of this release is remux support. You will need the beta Sage.jar to take advantage of the remuxing capabilities.

Thanks,
Josh
__________________
Projects I am currently maintaining
SageTV Andoid Client
Media Format Parser Plugin
JavaFFmpegLibrary
SageTVTranscoder

If you like the work I am doing and would like to support it you can become a Patreon member.
Reply With Quote
  #754  
Old 09-10-2021, 07:53 AM
jvl711's Avatar
jvl711 jvl711 is offline
Sage Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
Is there a way to get the miniclient to support Close Captions natively ? Right now I have to extract the CC to subtitles.
We would need ExoPlayer to support it. It is hard to tell from this page if it does or does not support it. It looks like it does in streaming formats, but I think we are using progressive formats I think.

Here is the support content: https://exoplayer.dev/supported-formats.html

Josh
__________________
Projects I am currently maintaining
SageTV Andoid Client
Media Format Parser Plugin
JavaFFmpegLibrary
SageTVTranscoder

If you like the work I am doing and would like to support it you can become a Patreon member.
Reply With Quote
  #755  
Old 09-10-2021, 08:54 AM
nyplayer nyplayer is offline
SageTVaholic
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 4,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvl711 View Post
We would need ExoPlayer to support it. It is hard to tell from this page if it does or does not support it. It looks like it does in streaming formats, but I think we are using progressive formats I think.

Here is the support content: https://exoplayer.dev/supported-formats.html

Josh
EMBY and Plex both use EXOPLAYER and I get CC. I am in the process of downsizing my Server footprint and that includes running as few tasks against my recordings as possible.... but it is no big deal just wondering. I have OPENDCT creating the subtitles for now.
__________________
Windows 10 I3 Dual Core 3.0 Server, SageTV9... OpenDCT with 2 HDHRPrimes and 4 HDHRconnects for a total of 14 Tuners.

Last edited by nyplayer; 09-10-2021 at 09:09 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #756  
Old 09-10-2021, 01:06 PM
phelme's Avatar
phelme phelme is offline
Sage Icon
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
EMBY and Plex both use EXOPLAYER and I get CC. I am in the process of downsizing my Server footprint and that includes running as few tasks against my recordings as possible.... but it is no big deal just wondering. I have OPENDCT creating the subtitles for now.
ExoPlayer does support some CC formats, but I have no idea what implementing them would entail.
Reply With Quote
  #757  
Old 09-10-2021, 01:29 PM
tvmaster2's Avatar
tvmaster2 tvmaster2 is offline
SageTVaholic
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: tarana
Posts: 3,985
Strange playback problem with Amazon Firestick

When watching recorded, or currently-recording shows via app on an Amazon Firestick, I get a timeline time error, in so much that I cannot rewind or fast forward the content properly, nor does it always show an accurate representation of how much recorded material there is/has elapsed.
Itís likely a setting I donít understand.
Anyone have a suggestion?
__________________
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300ís networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Reply With Quote
  #758  
Old 09-14-2021, 08:21 AM
jvl711's Avatar
jvl711 jvl711 is offline
Sage Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 750
Just an FYI. Amazon is taking it's time reviewing and releasing latest version. It looks like they are having some large delays in reviewing the apps.

Josh
__________________
Projects I am currently maintaining
SageTV Andoid Client
Media Format Parser Plugin
JavaFFmpegLibrary
SageTVTranscoder

If you like the work I am doing and would like to support it you can become a Patreon member.
Reply With Quote
  #759  
Old 09-14-2021, 08:26 AM
tvmaster2's Avatar
tvmaster2 tvmaster2 is offline
SageTVaholic
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: tarana
Posts: 3,985
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvl711 View Post
Just an FYI. Amazon is taking it's time reviewing and releasing latest version. It looks like they are having some large delays in reviewing the apps.

Josh
When it arrives at Amazon, what will the version # be?
__________________
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300ís networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Reply With Quote
  #760  
Old 09-14-2021, 08:30 AM
jvl711's Avatar
jvl711 jvl711 is offline
Sage Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
When it arrives at Amazon, what will the version # be?
v1.9.1
__________________
Projects I am currently maintaining
SageTV Andoid Client
Media Format Parser Plugin
JavaFFmpegLibrary
SageTVTranscoder

If you like the work I am doing and would like to support it you can become a Patreon member.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SageTV MiniClient for Android Indiegogo Campaign (Thanks) stuckless SageTV Clients Development 13 10-27-2020 01:49 PM
Android MiniClient 1.4.3 stuckless SageTV Clients Development 20 03-25-2019 10:32 AM
Android MiniClient 1.2.9 stuckless SageTV Clients Development 53 04-16-2018 07:30 AM
Android Miniclient and UK TV rickgillyon SageTV Clients Development 6 12-01-2016 05:58 PM
Android Miniclient on Mi Box Crashing SageTV Server v9 mackb SageTV Clients Development 9 11-27-2016 07:28 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 2003-2005 SageTV, LLC. All rights reserved.