SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 03-26-2004, 03:20 PM
Sage Icon

jominor, I do have a degree in EE and have been building and playing with computer hardware since I was 8 years old. Before I was an admin, I was a feild eng. and a computer/electronics teacher. I have taught basic, solid state/digital, PC hardware, DOS, and windows. Want to bet I am not a hardware expert? I am no where near like the most of these guys that cant solve a problem without it being a case on a test. If I must say so, I kick ass.

If you read my post, it was intended to give people a better more reliable way to do what you wanted to do. I could care less how you did it, but you posted it as a recommendation and then backed it up by giving your programming creds. That might influence people into putting themselves in a lot of misery. Have a nice weekend.
Old 03-26-2004, 10:26 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally posted by falchulk
jominor, I do have a degree in EE and have been building and playing with computer hardware since I was 8 years old. Before I was an admin, I was a feild eng. and a computer/electronics teacher. I have taught basic, solid state/digital, PC hardware, DOS, and windows. Want to bet I am not a hardware expert? I am no where near like the most of these guys that cant solve a problem without it being a case on a test. If I must say so, I kick ass.

If you read my post, it was intended to give people a better more reliable way to do what you wanted to do. I could care less how you did it, but you posted it as a recommendation and then backed it up by giving your programming creds. That might influence people into putting themselves in a lot of misery. Have a nice weekend.
Here is my post "You may want to consider the Windows XP dynamic disk for your smaller drives. I've taken a 60, 20, and 30 and combined them into a single 110 gig partition."

I posted it as a consideration. I have a degree in computer science, have been working with computers since 14, and I have other people saying that I kick ass.

Other people, like you played the "I'm a [fill in the blank] first" to be honest, PCs are not rocket science, so quit acting like it is.

I mentioned a fast, easy, inexpensive way to harness old drives, and people like you come like the with all attitude. You cannot accept that perhaps your way is not the only way.

As for influence people, I apparently give the non-PC "experts" on this groups more credit than do you.
Old 03-26-2004, 10:33 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally posted by SHS
TunaBoo Plases lite up on word ref to (friggin moron) in fact edit it out thank you.
As for this thread on what better, Both Dynamic Disk and RAID have good point and bad point but turth be toll that separate storage are better in long run FRO avg user as Cayars point out, unless you got cash blow on RAID-5 or RAID-Mirrored volumes setup.
Both Mirrored Volumes or RAID-5 volume is much more fault-tolerant.
For the record, I'm not saying one is better than the other. I said "consider", as in, if you have some old drives, here a quick, easy way to draft them back into service.

That's it.

I fully believe that the people who frequent this group are smart enough to determine if my suggestion is valid for them without calling them morons or implying that a status as Network admin automatically invalidates their opinion and validates their own.

To be honest, I stunned by the reaction. What's going to happen when I say, USB2 enclosures are good way of creating cheap external drives out of internal drives?

A lecture on RAID-5, dual Fibre-channel connected EMC storage?

Lighten up guys...
Old 03-26-2004, 10:39 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally posted by TunaBoo
Hardware fails, but people not using it correctly makes it fail sooner.

IBM got out of the HD buisness because HD is a commidity market. Any one of 5 peopel can make a hard drive of ~ the same speed for ~ the same price, so the profit margin is very small. Even if IBM didn't have the GX disaster, they most likely were going to leave it anyway.
Right. Next, you'll say that intelligent people can tell a defective drive by the feel of the box. Perhaps the dents should have given it away. No, considering the experience of other people, including those who had the misfortune to purchase IBM, I don't think all of us were using the drives incorrectly.

As for IBM, I guess we'll never know.
Old 03-27-2004, 05:46 AM
Sage Icon

jomino, you misread my post entirely. I stated what I do because what I do makes me intimately familiar with you suggestion. I did not intend to attack you. I think you are overreacting to everything in this thread
Old 03-27-2004, 04:53 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally posted by falchulk
jomino, you misread my post entirely. I stated what I do because what I do makes me intimately familiar with you suggestion. I did not intend to attack you. I think you are overreacting to everything in this thread
I make a humble suggestion and get two resumes and an insult. I state my credentials, I'm either not qualified or overreacting.

Fair enough, but ultimately, my point is that our degrees don't necessarily make us more qualified than anyone else using PCs. They just don't require degrees to understand or operate.

I'm moving on...take care.

Last edited by SHS; 03-29-2004 at 12:16 AM.
Old 03-27-2004, 05:42 PM

jominor EDIT YOUR post
Old 03-28-2004, 09:29 PM
Administrator

We are all mature people here. We are all entitled to our own opinions. Debates are good. Let's just remember to keep it civilized.
Old 04-13-2004, 09:49 PM
Sage Icon

Send a message via MSN to mikejaner
That once 200 gig drive can fail as easily as my one of three. Easier in fact considering I've lost two 200 gig drives in the past 7 months

Actually your wrong. The way you have the drives setup is your prefrence, but you have three times as many chances of loosing your data as somebody with a 200gb drive, because you have three times as many hardware related components (motors, heads, magnets, logic boards) running this Dynamic Disk.
Old 04-14-2004, 11:42 AM
Sage Icon

mikejaner, Dc area huh? It appears we are in the same area and same business!
Old 04-15-2004, 08:03 AM
Sage Icon

Send a message via MSN to mikejaner
Kewl, where do you live. I am in the Springfield area