SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 05-02-2004, 12:12 PM
Sage Advanced User

SAGETV slow/freezing bug

I've had this problem with only the Release Candidates, not any others.

EVERYTHING works REAL slow when first starting or waking up SAGETV. I get a black screen for about 2-3 minutes, then the main menu shows up. Upon moving it to fullscreen, AGAIN another 2-3 minutes of black screen before it shows.
When I go to any one of the submenus for the first time, it just freezes for 1-2 minutes.
I have NOTHING else running at all. NO processes or programs, other than SAGETV. This has only started happening with the RC's.
The Live TV Guide is the worst offender. The first time I attempt to move to a channel up or down, it freezes, and the only way to get it to advance, is to move the opposite way first, THEN back.
I've included my System specs, via DXDIAG, and will post my log file next.
Any ideas?
Attached Files
File Type: txt dxdiag.txt (40.9 KB, 135 views)
Old 05-02-2004, 12:17 PM
Sage Advanced User

And here's the log file...
Oh, and before anyone asks, Yes I did do a clean install, and tried again. I've still got this problem. I am not using a client yet, and the server is disabled. I've also checked changes with 3d enables, overlay/VMR9/default, and all the different video/audio encoders, all with no difference.
Attached Files
File Type: txt sagetv_0.txt (183.5 KB, 121 views)
Old 05-02-2004, 12:33 PM
Sage Icon

You did report this through the bug submission form, right?
Old 05-02-2004, 01:42 PM
Sage Advanced User

yes.

Oh, yet ANOTHER problem. Sometimes when starting to view a recording, it will play, yet the screen goes back to the main menu. I can't get the main menu to clear at all. When I go back to Watch Now, it plays the video, but I get that overlay for the main menu on top of it. Very frustrating...
Old 05-02-2004, 10:36 PM
Sage Aficionado

I've had a similar problem recently with mine. I first experienced the slow down after doing a windows update, so I thought that was the problem. But after some experimentation I realized that it was because I had updated to the latest nVidia drivers (56.72). So I had to roll back the system and re-install the older drivers I was using (53.04). Now the slowdown is gone.
Server: Antec SLK3800B, AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+, Biostar TForce 550, GeForce 7300LE, 1GB DDR2 800, 2 x HVR-1600, PVR-150MCE, 1.4TB HD Space, XP Pro, Java6, Latest SageTV Version
Old 05-03-2004, 01:42 AM
Sage Advanced User

I'm still using the 53.03's as the newest ones didn't like using the clone aspect for the Monitor/TV combo.
Old 05-03-2004, 01:44 AM
Sage Advanced User

I am have the same problems as MixxMaster starting with RC2 (I don't remember RC1 having these problems). I get black screens and long pauses when I restore SageTV from the system tray and when I start playing files. It is not all the time though. I also have the problem with selecting a video to watch and getting booted to the main menu. When it does this, I have to restart SageTV to get it to behave normally again.

Unlike Enormous, I don't have an nVidia card. It's an ATI Radeon 8500 with Catalyst drivers version 4.4. Therefore, the problem is not video card specific. Re-installing my video drivers did not solve the problems.

Just thought I would add to this thread so Frey knows it's not just one or two people.
Old 05-03-2004, 11:01 AM
Administrator

Are you using Java 1.5 Beta? You should be using 1.4.2. This is reported on Sun's website as a known bug in 1.5 Beta that's been fixed for an unspecified release.

http://developer.java.sun.com/develo...s/4992282.html

Matches perfectly with the error in the logs:
java.lang.NullPointerException
sun.awt.windows.WinCachingSurfaceManager.flush(Unknown Source)

Thanks.
Old 05-03-2004, 11:51 AM
Sage Advanced User

Hi,

Just in case you don't know what java version you are running, go to DOS and enter java -version.

Most definately, there is a lot crashing on your system.

Regards,

Mark
Old 05-03-2004, 10:24 PM
Sage Advanced User

HUZZAH!!! That's what did it! Hey, thanks for the help, I Really appreciate it guys!
Old 05-04-2004, 02:52 AM
Sage Advanced User

ive actually went back to 1.4.1_07. its actually working great, with all the 1.4.2 versions when i switch channels, i get skipping sound. only lasts for a second to 2, but it is a little annoying, and with the later versions i can get sage to crash pretty easy if i just change channels to fast.

with 1.4.1_07 ive tried and tried, changing channels from fast to slow, to even holding down the remote button letting it go through the channel lineup twice. not 1 hiccup. of course, YMMV.....

if you, or anyone wants to try an older version of jre you can get it from

http://java.sun.com/products/archive/index.html

if you use the webupdate from the java applet, you can get 1.4.2_04. which doesnt seem to be available anywhere but the webupdate. you can set your default virtual machine, in the java applet in the control panel, open it up, go to the advanced tab, and there should be a dropdown box with a list of the different version jvm's you have installed. they all install to their own versions dir, so you can have multiple versions installed without any problems.