SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 11-03-2009, 06:06 PM
Sage User

Mpeg2 Video decoder issue?

I have noticed that, on my machine when I attempt to use the 'sage decoder, according to everest the CPU usage averages 30%
When using the Microsoft and default decoders the usage averages about 6% no other changes. My basic specs are 1371 FSB, Intel duo core E7400 clocked to 3.7 ghz., 4 gig DDR2 800 MHz memory, EVGA GTX-285 1 gig memory.
I would just use the Microsoft decoder as the quality seems the same.
I think I must be missing something as I am sure no one would go to the trouble to develop a decoder unless it had some advantage, especially if there is a huge difference in resources consumed.
Any info about this would be greatly appreciated. I did use the search function here and also google and couldn't find a clear answer.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:47 PM
Sage Aficionado

I just use the MS decoder since it takes advantage of hardware decode and lowers CPU.
I believe the main reason Sage added a decoder is so you could record and watch programs and not be required to purchase addational software. Sage added their decoder before windows included an mpeg decoder.

Some people tweak the sage decoder and claim to achieve better picture quality than with the the MS decoder.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:12 PM
SageTVaholic

Was there a question in there? While they (SageTV) do have a decoder as part of the install, you are able to use any decoder within SageTV you want so if the "microsoft" decoder works better for you use it.

Which microsoft decoder is it anyway? Are you speaking of the Mpeg2 video decoder, the H.264 Video decoder or Mpeg Audio Decoder filter?

Here's an example of what I have under Mpeg2 video decoder filter:
  • ArcSoft Video Decoder
  • Cyberlink Video/SP Decoder (PDVD8)
  • NVidia Video Decoder
  • NVidia Video Post Processor
  • SageTV MPEG Video Decoder
I use the SageTV Mpeg Video Decoder - not because it's from SageTV, but because it works best for me. So pick what works best for you...

Last edited by Brent; 11-04-2009 at 06:28 AM.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:34 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakecrash View Post
I just use the MS decoder since it takes advantage of hardware decode and lowers CPU.
I believe the main reason Sage added a decoder is so you could record and watch programs and not be required to purchase addational software. Sage added their decoder before windows included an mpeg decoder.

Some people tweak the sage decoder and claim to achieve better picture quality than with the the MS decoder.
Thanks that answers my question exactly.
I will continue to use the MS decoder that Sage TV lists among the three choices by sage tv as being the 'sage tv MPEG decoder' the 'Microsoft MPEG-2 decoder' and the 'default'.
If the sage listing of the decoder is insufficient to identify the actual decoder, I am sorry, but I just am going by what sage decides to tell me.

P.S. I've heard good things about the arcsoft decoder and I will look into what is available from Nvidia, as I said the Sage tv MPEG-2 decoder sucks up too much CPU for no or very little gain in quality on my end, I just assumed since it ate up so much processor power it must do something very special, but I guess not. Good to know I won't be missing anything.

Last edited by aairon; 11-03-2009 at 09:42 PM.