SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 12-19-2006, 02:55 PM
Sage Aficionado

PS3

My wife just won a PS3 at our company holiday party. It's got a 60GB drive, but I'm not quite sure of the point of that. Has anybody tinkered with PS2 or PS3 to see if it can be used as an extender?
Old 12-20-2006, 09:55 AM
Sage Expert

I just gotta say, I want to work where you work, thats a heck of "gift"! And to have your spouce win it!

My jobs christmas 'party' consisted of 5 people going to eat lunch where I ate crappy food and got a jar of nuts from my boss.....

If the PS3 is like the Xbox 360, then the HD may be used for downloaded programs from the manufacture as well as emulators for backwards compatibility with older games.

Use with SageTV??? I dunno, too new for most to have tinkered with it in that respect, given the popularity of SAGETV in the market place.

NEW: DELL OPTIPLEX 755, 4GB MEM, ATI DVIX (DUAL) VIDEO, PVR-1250MCE & PVR-500MCE, 1.3TB HDD's
Old 12-20-2006, 10:18 AM
Sage Aficionado

I have a PS3, but have yet to install Linux, which theoretically would allow you to run Sage, however you would need to get the correct Linux Distribution onto the PS3 which is currently Gentoo Linux. From what i understand, the ability to install different flavors of Linux is possible and has been done already. I just don't have the time/knowledge to give it a shot.

I would be willing to work with anyone at Sage if they wanted to try something out on my PS3, all they have to do is ask
Old 12-20-2006, 08:03 PM
Sage Aficionado

You can download Dog Linux distro for the PS3 now, also I have heard that Fedora was successfully installed as well. I cant imagine it will be that long before distros are readily available. Sony has set it up so that different operating systems can be installed. I hope that it will be sage compatible someday.
Old 12-21-2006, 04:40 AM
Sage Expert

"The Sony-sponsored Yellow Dog Linux for the PS3 was released on November 27, 2006 to the YDL.net community, and was released on DVD on December 11, 2006, and finally as a publicly available image in late December."

From Wikipedia.

But it's not optimized yet and I was reading about some things are real sluggish with Linux on it and while some parts will be fixed some can't be. But being Sage is built from Java, if you can get Java on the PS3 Sage will run on it.

Personally I'd sell the PS3, make some cash and buy one later or even better, buy 2 Xbox 360s! I have a 360 on each TV just for the video functionalities.