SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Information & Announcements > SageTV Downloads & Instructions

Notices

SageTV Downloads & Instructions This forum is for discussions containing Downloads and Instructions related to the Open Source version of SageTV. Please do not post questions in this forum.

Old 04-13-2021, 01:51 PM
Sage Expert

Linux Server Instructions?

In the past, I was able to install Sage v9 on a Ubuntu Desktop system, but now I've installed/tried to install, the 64-bit debian file on a Ubuntu server, for a headless setup.

I used the install script that has been available for a few years now, and it appears that the Sage server has installed. I also added the openJDK runtime. I am able to execute a Sage stop and start command and connect via SSH. The problem is that when I start the Placeshifter window, the new Sage server does not appear in a list.

Are there any instructions that could show what I'm missing in my attempt to run v9 from a headless Ubuntu server?
Old 04-13-2021, 07:10 PM
Sage Aficionado

Anything useful in the log files? That would be the first place to check.

If it's starting up properly, then maybe it's a firewall / security issue.
Old 04-13-2021, 07:37 PM
Sage Icon

Pardon my SageTV on Linux ignorance but are
Code:
enable_server=true
and
Code:
enable_media_extender_server=true
set in sage.properties by default in a Linux install?

On Windows setups at least, you usually connect with a local client first to enable those settings via the GUI (enable server & enable placeshifter).
Old 04-13-2021, 09:37 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker:WG View Post
Anything useful in the log files? That would be the first place to check...
I don't know where the log files are stored; I no longer have a functioning SageTV Linux server, so I'm stitching things together from general Linux knowledge and Windows Sage instances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnjj View Post
Pardon my SageTV on Linux ignorance but are
Code:
enable_server=true
and
Code:
enable_media_extender_server=true
set in sage.properties by default in a Linux install?...
The existing Sage.properties file was really stark:

Code:
encoding_discovery_port=8271

network_encoder_discovery=true
I added the two lines, stopped and started the Sage server, and rebooted the system, but the server does not show up in the Placeshifters list ...
Old 04-14-2021, 04:49 AM
SageTVaholic

Since you are running linux... You could likely just use the Docker containers that have sagetv and comskip already setup. These are containers that the unRAID server uses, but, you can use them in any Docker enabled environment. To start it... you'd use a command like this...

https://github.com/stuckless/sagetv-...nServerTest.sh
Old 04-14-2021, 09:17 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
Since you are running linux... You could likely just use the Docker containers that have sagetv and comskip already setup...
I was trying for a simple build with this server; something with fewer features and add-ons than a Linux desktop distribution. I don't know what "Docker", "containers", "comskip", or "unRAID" are, and I can't find any links to "Docker containers[?]".

It may be that the combination of distribution (Ubuntu Server 20.04 64) and SageTV server (v9.1.10 64) is not agreeable, for some reason. The last desktop distribution on which I ran a Sage server was Ubuntu 18.04 32-bit ...