SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 11-15-2011, 03:49 PM
Sage User

GoogleTV hangout: No comment on SageTV

GoogleTV hosted a Google+ hangout and posted video on Nov 13, 2011.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkIJ...ature=youtu.be

One question asked specifically about Google's plans for SageTV (at 37:00), and the response was essentially, "I cannot comment on how Google will use any of the technology acquired from Sage on any platform, including GoogleTV".
Old 11-15-2011, 05:38 PM
Sage Icon

Indeed, a "no comment" on SageTV and no easy local file playback ability for developers (i.e. just use the DLNA player from the manufacturer)... He did mention HTTP Live Streaming, though that has been available non-officially since Android 2.3, and never that functional...
TbSageTV (1.02)/STVRemote (1.11): Monitor/control SageTV with a PlayBook 2
TiSageTV (1.64)/TiSTVRemote (1.09): Monitor/control SageTV with an iPhone/iPod/iPad
Old 11-15-2011, 07:51 PM
SageTVaholic

He also made it perfectly clear that GoogleTV is a search and aggregate platform, not a record and store platform.

Sage Server: ASUS/Intel C2D based system w/4GB RAM. Win7, Hauppauge PVR 150, Hauppauge HVR-2250 and an HDHR. Runs headless. Accessed via VNC when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:03 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post
He also made it perfectly clear that GoogleTV is a search and aggregate platform, not a record and store platform.
If they would just give me a way to record and store, I'd be happy to let them do the search and aggregate part.

One can dream...
Server: SageTV 9, Win10/32, Intel DP55KG Mb, Intel QC i5 2.66GHz , 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM, 2 Hauppauge 2255s for 4 OTA ATSC tuners, HDHRPrime w Comcast, 3 STP-HD300s 20101007-0 firmware, nVidia Shield. Java v7u55. Plugins:SD EPG, OpenDCT
Old 11-15-2011, 10:22 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post
I tried to find that, but I didn't want to listen to the whole thing. Do you remember roughly when he said that? That doesn't seem to bode well for anyone hoping that future versions of GoogleTV will include SageTV-like functionality.

Of course, I can't say I'm surprised. But it makes me continued to be confused over Google's SageTV acquisition (other than just wanting some talented programmers that are bound to do great things).
Old 11-15-2011, 11:41 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggie14 View Post
Do you remember roughly when he said that?
When he was commenting about the lack of playback for local files (networked through SMB or local through USB), and pretty much said that there was enough content over the internet or such...
TbSageTV (1.02)/STVRemote (1.11): Monitor/control SageTV with a PlayBook 2
TiSageTV (1.64)/TiSTVRemote (1.09): Monitor/control SageTV with an iPhone/iPod/iPad
Old 11-16-2011, 06:55 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggie14 View Post
I tried to find that, but I didn't want to listen to the whole thing. Do you remember roughly when he said that?
I'm not exactly sure, as Fonceur said it's when he talks about why they are not supporting local files Try listening to the whole thing, you can easily skip over the parts that are not interesting.

Sage Server: ASUS/Intel C2D based system w/4GB RAM. Win7, Hauppauge PVR 150, Hauppauge HVR-2250 and an HDHR. Runs headless. Accessed via VNC when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:12 PM
Sage Aficionado

And they bought Sage for...?
Old 11-16-2011, 04:02 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOfMany View Post
Apparently just to piss us off...
Old 11-16-2011, 07:59 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Don't lose faith.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:46 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
eternity
Server : Asus M4A79XTD Evo / AMD Phenom II X4 955 @ 3.2GHz / 4Gb RAM / Win 10 64-bit / Cinergy 2400iDT (French Freeview - TNT) / 2 * Hauppauge NOVA-HD-S2 (UK Sky) / TT CT-3650 CI / HDD : 4.5 To / Sage V7 / XMLTV Importer / EPG from WebGrabPlus+/ LM DVB Recorder for all tuners / 2 Clients : STP-HD300
Old 11-17-2011, 08:13 AM
SageTVaholic

I can't figure out if their non comment about sage means they are working on something other than googletv or they are just really annoyed with our users persistence.
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:44 AM
Sage Icon

It means neither. The only thing it does mean is that they are not ready to talk about the Sage acquisition and its purpose yet. I suspect that we will hear about it when they have a concrete product at or near production and not a word until then. The dedicated Sage users who valiantly hang on to the forums here might get an early heads up that there will be a forthcoming announcement when that time nears.

S
Old 11-17-2011, 10:39 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Hopefully a lot of money.... (because that would indicate they highly value the product and the people.)

Old 11-17-2011, 11:32 AM
Sage User

BTW, here is the transcript of the discussion:

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/g...foryciarz.html

On the SMB question:

(@ 21:58) Daniel, "Thanks for the answering the question. I also had a question before the Hangout about SMB clients to access files on server."

Right. So, this part is mostly handled by our partners. They always add the local media server and at this point Google wasn't planning to include SMB support as part of the Google TV build. Yet, we are still looking at that and we listen to the feedback of users and developers. If the local file access proves to be not sufficient based on the solutions provided by the partners, we'll look at making it part of the core experience.

and

(@ 33:34) Coming from Daniel, "Internal location storage of four or five Gigabytes on Google TV is insufficient for media use. But, you cannot access an external hard drive using FTP server. You're jailed to SDCARD mounts and any plans to allow access to the external storage re-mount like FTP?"

I think this is coming back, which is telling us this important to the developers and users community. As I explained at this moment, any support offered to the external discs comes through the DLNA implementation done by the partners or by the developers. At this very moment we do not provide that capability as part of the core experience of Google TV but we listen to your comments and we look at the possibilities.

In the same time the device that we're building is heavily relying on the information that is placed on the cloud. All the movies, all the TV shows come from the from the internet through this very media. And we assume there will be more and more of applications that will rely on their sources on the cloud storage. So, we do this currently for Picasa, for the Photos app, where we assume that the users would mostly be using it by uploading their pictures into web album and then viewing down on the TV screen through the Picasa app. Yes, we still allow for the USB connection of the camera through the Picasa app. But at the same time we expect that at some point you just uploaded off your mobile phone or of your computer or directly from your Google TV through the cloud and that'll be your ultimate storage.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:39 PM
Sage Advanced User

So reading between the lines, it seems that Google is pushing for a cloud-centric offering, which may enable them to deal with any restrictions that may exist w/DLNA (e.g. if there are restrictions on the ability to capture/store/copy the video files). Quite honestly, I chose SageTV because it didn't have any of that nonsense. Straight up plain video files, which allows me to either play them via SageTV or any other application I so choose on any PC/OS platform I have either now or in the future.

Google may have a market for cloud-centric stuff where people have decent upload bandwidth, but I think the world will be slow to follow in that direction. While some people may find good use for storing their stuff "somewhere" in the cloud, I think far more will not.

For example, I only access my "stuff" from home, so storing it somewhere in the cloud (who knows where and whether it may disappear if I do) simply does not appeal tome. I have absolutely no desire to store video anywhere other than locally, particularly when large drives are dirt cheap. Today I keep literally everything on a multi-TB NAS and that suites me fine. To further that example, I have over 600 hours (1.5TB) of video piled up in Sage thanks to marking shows and movies as favorites.

So it's starting to make sense as to why Google bought SageTV (likely mostly for the talent). I have no illusions that Google will have a SageTV-like offering in their immediate future. So to that end, that means SageTV is frozen in time. It works well for now, and there are promising EPG solutions when the inevitable Sage EPG service shuts down. That also means I believe eventually the existing user base for SageTV will decrease as we find we have new requirements for our setups. That mean we'll either migrate to the "cloud" thing or to some other product.

For the present, I intend to continue using SageTV because honestly its the best "polished" thing out there at the moment. While other projects have their followers, I think a lot of that is based on the geek-factor (they like to play w/the code as much as they like to use it). For me, it's about functionality and flexibility, but I know some day I'll have to move on to something else as my needs change.