SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:34 AM
SageTVaholic

Wow... I didn't think people would feel the need to rehash every complaint from the other thread in this one now. (Yes, you've got the right to complain, just as I've got the right to ignore one more thread.)

Totally unrelated side note... I wish people in this country would get this fired up and have such lengthy memories when it comes to elections and voting.
Tuners: 2 x HD-PVR (HTTP tuning), 2 x HDHR, USB-UIRT
Software: SageTV 7
Old 01-18-2012, 09:58 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skirge01 View Post
Wow... I didn't think people would feel the need to rehash every complaint from the other thread in this one now. (Yes, you've got the right to complain, just as I've got the right to ignore one more thread.)

Totally unrelated side note... I wish people in this country would get this fired up and have such lengthy memories when it comes to elections and voting.
Well complaining is a step up from apathy...
Old 01-18-2012, 09:59 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpjpjpj View Post
Second, I don't know how long you've been using Sage, but you have 10
Well the join date says 2006, so i would guess he's been using it a while...
Old 01-18-2012, 10:06 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by phareous View Post
Well the join date says 2006, so i would guess he's been using it a while...
Not necessarily, I joined in 2006 when I first started looking at Sage but didn't start using it until 2010
Old 01-18-2012, 04:23 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
Tell you're new Google overlords that you've got about until the Ceton Echo comes out to at the very least have something to announce or I think you're likely to lose a number of your followers.
I hate to agree but I think a lot of people are going to abandon ship as well. Although as a satellite subscriber and cable subscriber I may be torn I would really like some sort of heads up.

Neil
Old 01-18-2012, 05:05 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by heffneil View Post
I think a lot of people are going to abandon ship as well.
As products like the "Q" and Echo come to market, people will start making choices. http://www.missingremote.com/news/20...ceton-ces-2012

Interesting to note that a Ceton Quality Assurance Manager and Software Developer are taking input on what people would like to see the "Q" and Echo be able to do. http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/...1223&start=220
SERVER: Win 7 x64/i7-860/Zotac H55ITX-C-E/Corsair H70/CFI a7879 case/12 TB Pooled with Drive Bender. DVBLogic: streaming HDPVR content to SageTV, WMC Clients, NPVR Clients, Remote Computers & iphone. 2ea HDPVR, 3ea HDHomeRun, 2ea VIP211
Old 01-18-2012, 06:19 PM
Sage User

Just Chiming in....

I don't know Jeff other than thru this forum. So I can only take from that that he has good intentions and good relationships with the top contributors from this community. This Product, Community, and hardware that was developed out of necessity, has been like no other Iíve ever seen. The negative people can jump whatever they want. We have had a few people over the years that could not use this product because it had small flaws. To date no alternative can hold a candle to what sage brings in an open source environment. That is why Google bought it. Why didn't Windows Media Center take off?... no real community behind it and too many restrictions. SageTV is the only such service I've used that My family can adopt easily and still have all the features and customizations I want. Without SageTV I don't think Silicon Dust would be as popular, or Hauppauge. I bet if you look at sales of Silicon Dust's HDHR Prime, they fall below Silicondust's expectations because of the uncertainty with SageTV. I waited on HD300 until Prime was ready and somewhat tested, and I got stuck like everyone else. I still love SageTV and will use it until it is dead. The only thing I worry about losing is this forum. The people who post solutions and Plug-ins and Tricks are the Best user manual I've ever had. I know Jeff knows that and that is the only reason he chimed in the way he did because this is still his baby. He is not gloating but trying to keep people positive. I am willing to bet he had to put some effort to keep the forum open, fighting the lawyers from Google. If he is optimistic then so am I. I have a Revue, disappointed, HDMI pass-thru using sage is terrible, am I the only one? I hope I wouldn't have to buy all new hardware to use any Google Alternative, but reality is that the SageTV hardware is not enough for the future. Unfortunately That is the way technology goes. Thanks again to the community for the hours you saved me in tweaking My Personal Media Server.
HD-100(x2), HD-200(x2), HD-300(x2), MVP(x2) ,HDHR-(original), HDHR-Dual, HDHR-Prime, SageDCT, Hauppauge HVR-1600 & 1800, Windows 7(64bit) Pentium Dual-Core E6300 2.8gHz, 4GB, Gigibit E-Net, Placeshifter(x2), Client (x1)...
I've Tried all Media Centers, Sage Still The Best!
Hmmmm, Google Fiber
Old 01-18-2012, 06:56 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMAX View Post
Why didn't Windows Media Center take off?... no real community behind it and too many restrictions.
As much as I love Sage, I can't agree with that, as near as I can tell WMC has/had a much bigger community than SageTV did. Meaning absolutely no disrespect to the creators of the SageTV customizations, it just seems (and maybe this is just grass is greener on the other side syndrome) like WMC got more "big" plugins, and more, more "finished" plugins (MyMovies, MediaBrowser, etc) than Sage ever did.

Probably the biggest clue though is that WMC is basically the "defacto" solution on AVS Forum, lots of folks there just don't see any reason to use anything else.

SageTV has a much tighter community for sure, and it's users/members contribute much more on average than WMC I would agree, but I think WMC was quite a bit bigger. And it did take off amongst our types.

Quote:
SageTV is the only such service I've used that My family can adopt easily and still have all the features and customizations I want. Without SageTV I don't think Silicon Dust would be as popular, or Hauppauge. I bet if you look at sales of Silicon Dust's HDHR Prime, they fall below Silicondust's expectations because of the uncertainty with SageTV.
I really doubt that, becuase I doubt SD ever expected SageTV to contribute to sales in any significant way given Sage doesn't support the DRM required to fully utilize CableCard.

I love Sage, and I think a lot here really don't understands WMC's "success" but at the same time I don't think we can deny it.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:07 PM
SageTVaholic

Also to consider is that there are a large number of systems sold off the shelf with everything needed to be run as WMC HTPC, something sagetv has never really had... Plus, everyone who runs Win7, already HAS WMC. all they need is a tuner. For me, WMC was always considered the 'basic' HTPC software, everything else adds something it didn't do (with the exception of DRM).

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 01-18-2012, 08:15 PM
Sage Advanced User

I can't help but think we won't recognize much of SageTV when we see it. The reason is simply the amount of time between when it was purchased by Google and the as yet to even be announced release of whatever it's to become.

I would bet against all the current features remaining and existing as a subset of the new improved version.

If I were to guess it would be a STB used with cable or satellite TV. We may get lucky and if it is a STB, it would be priced reasonably, still work with OTA TV and have full support media stored locally.

I don't know Jeff, even through this forum so I don't have any allegiance/faith to and in him. SageTV, as we know it, is gone. Google will do what it thinks is best for Google, much like any other large company.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:22 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjames View Post
I can't help but think we won't recognize much of SageTV when we see it. The reason is simply the amount of time between when it was purchased by Google and the as yet to even be announced release of whatever it's to become.
Personally, that wouldn't bother me much so long as the fundamental features remain, those being the awesome DVR functionality, with support for satellite (D*) and not just Cable, and a multiroom solution with extensive media support (Blu-ray audio/video).

Quote:
If I were to guess it would be a STB used with cable or satellite TV. We may get lucky and if it is a STB, it would be priced reasonably, still work with OTA TV and have full support media stored locally.
If it's something like Ceton is showing with their Q+Echo system, that would be awesome provided it supports Dish/DTV, and multiroom robust media playback.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:23 PM
Sage User

SageTV is dead you are in denial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpjpjpj View Post
Second, I don't know how long you've been using Sage, but you have 10 posts.
Number of posts has nothing to do with the # years using the product. It just means I had been happy with the product until it was killed by the GoogleSphere. For those counting I started using SageTV in 2006. I would be happier if I had known this was coming and stocked up on some more lic. and HD300.

Also I am smart enough to make this product work without having to ask a million questions and the developers did a great job coding it to what I needed.

Sorry - I had missed the offer to extend the date.

It doesn't really matter because you are in denial if you are waiting for this product to come alive again. Jeff cashed out to Google for nice $, good for him and a smart business move. If they wanted any of SageTV and the users they would have kept the company/store open. Publicity wise it would be the smart way to go. Put the software into stable release mode and move on. Instead they decided to cut it off so they do not care and they have plenty of $ not to. Other products that they take over and plan to keep have a much different integration path.

Jeff is just to nice and torn to tell us all SageTV is really dead. If it is not I will be happy that I am wrong. But for now I need to come up with a new system to power my nice big new TV and the hunt is on. On Comcast cable so very interested in the Ceton Cable card stuff. This could be the best thing as it forces me to move on.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:45 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayacht View Post
Number of posts has nothing to do with the # years using the product. It just means I had been happy with the product until it was killed by the GoogleSphere. For those counting I started using SageTV in 2006. I would be happier if I had known this was coming and stocked up on some more lic. and HD300.

Also I am smart enough to make this product work without having to ask a million questions and the developers did a great job coding it to what I needed.

It doesn't really matter because you are in denial if you are waiting for this product to come alive again. Jeff cashed out to Google for nice $, good for him and a smart business move. If they wanted any of SageTV and the users they would have kept the company/store open. Publicity wise it would be the smart way to go. Put the software into stable release mode and move on. Instead they decided to cut it off so they do not care and they have plenty of $ not to. Other products that they take over and plan to keep have a much different integration path.

Jeff is just to nice and torn to tell us all SageTV is really dead. If it is not I will be happy that I am wrong. But for now I need to come up with a new system to power my nice big new TV and the hunt is on. On Comcast cable so very interested in the Ceton Cable card stuff. This could be the best thing as it forces me to move on.
The point being, as has been posted many times here already, that nothing 'died' in June aside from the SageTV Store. Expansion ceased, but everything else that makes sage what it is remains exactly as it was (in fact, in many ways it's better, with the release of free upgrades from v5 and v6 to the latest release). If your worried about the EPG going away, you really ought to look at Slugger's plugin. It has MORE features than the built in EPG provider, and I'm sure you're "smart enough make it work."

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 01-18-2012, 11:49 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusing View Post
It is kind of crazy that we are begging a software company to take our money so we don't have to be pirates and they won't sell it to us.
Well said.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:24 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayacht View Post

Well, you took my response to your post - which had objections to specific claims you made - and tried to read between the lines, and you missed all of my points. So I will clarify.

1) My comment about your post number said nothing about how familiar you are with Sage itself. It was a comment about how you think you know what "all" (your word) Sage users are feeling. Perhaps you've lurked here on the forum for 6 years and think you know us well, but considering that you think we "all" are jumping ship right now, I am guessing not.

2) You said Jeff was "gloating". I disagree. Gloating implies "great or excessive, often smug or malicious, satisfaction" - as in, he's rubbing it in our face. I don't believe that. His post with all the smilies was because he was happy. Someone asked if he was happy and he said yes. And if he was really laughing at us - "gloating" - because Sage was dead and he was rich, then he wouldn't still be keeping up with this thread and wouldn't have posted what he did earlier in this thread, saying that he works on Sage every day. He'd be gone, never to return.

3) I'm not waiting for this product to come alive again. I don't think anyone here is. We're just waiting to see what comes out of the Google camp before we decide whether to jump or not. Some are lining up other options now - no reason not to, if you have the time and money. But we "all" are not jumping ship immediately, as you said.

4) I'm sorry that you needed more Sage hardware or licenses and they aren't available. I'm bummed about that too - I would like another extender or three. So if you want to go look for another solution and not wait to see what happens, it's understandable. I have a perfectly-fine system in my house and only want more extenders for future (fail) protection, so I am not as desperate. My only point in responding to your first post was, don't project that frustration onto "all" of us. You are in the minority, or maybe just the average, but you are not in the "all" majority. That's all I was saying.

5) This discussion belongs in the "community comments" thread as it has now long digressed from the topic.
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 01-19-2012, 12:15 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex View Post
I still work on SageTV every day along with the whole team from SageTV before it was bought. SageTV is not dead. Ohhh....I wish I could say more...but that time has not come yet....
When I read that post what I really read is
" we are porting sagetv to andriod version x.x "

Google has a history of two things;

1) Releasing poor products and improving them ie chrome and andriod ( both started inferior now serious competitors)
2) Starting projects and ditching them if they don't work out.

Google only does one thing unquestionably better than everyone else and that's search. If you watch the google tv video they actually talk about bringing search to tv. srsly. they also admit to working on a continually improving type policy ; working on both x86 and ARM chips; talking to cable and satellite companies ( 8 mins 20 ) ; 12mins in dvr and sage gets a mention - with a neither yay or nay but they see streaming as the future.

I can't help get the feeling that googles attitude to the smarttv market is that they want to make sure they are in on smarttvs ( or perhpas more importantly not left out of the smarttv market). I think sagetv is just a possible app that might help. Andriod tv makes perfect sense as it broadens the base for apps and with data synchronisation brings in even more relevant information about the user ( something google needs in order to compete with info giant facebook ) ( think phone, computer and now tv combined - thats a lot of user info). I don't think a sagetv DVR is a certainy in the long run, I think it's just an option that might help google get a share of the smarttv market. I don't think google cares about dvrs it just wants access to the smarttv market.

Jeff & the team may be working away at sagetv but that doesn't mean it's going to be used in the end. Sure a beautiful cable dvr with sage, andriod, apps and internet would be good but it will probably need the cable companies permission ( which may or may not come at all let alone with restirctions ). Whats worse is that I don't see any reason to keep the windows side of things going. If subscribed cable dvrs ( running sage ) are the future the cable companies are going to want their content locked up good and tight and that means propietry software/hardware and DRM - NOT windows servers.

Overall I don't think the futures either bright or grim. It's unwritten. I think sagetv might be anything from another andriodtv app available to those that want it to the cornerstone of android based cable dvrs. but a lot might depend on what other companies and consumers decide upon and in the end it might mean google ditching sagetv and googletv altogether. I don't think jeff or anyone with google knows for sure at this stage.

--------------------------------------

whatever happens I hope they realise that 20 tuners and another 20 terabytes of storage is perfectly normal and in no way a sign of illness or addiction.
Old 01-19-2012, 12:30 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by matterofrecord View Post
Whats worse is that I don't see any reason to keep the windows side of things going. If subscribed cable dvrs ( running sage ) are the future the cable companies are going to want their content locked up good and tight and that means propietry software/hardware and DRM - NOT windows servers.
That is not necessarily a bad thing. A Google/SageTV version of the Q and Echo announced by Ceton with more tuning options than just CableCARD could work for many of us. Some of the people jumping ship are going to the cable/sat company DVRs and they are much weaker in pretty much every way vs Sage. It would likely be better than Sage7 at stuff like online content which is the weakest part of Sage today which will likely never be fixed.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:51 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
It would likely be better than Sage7 at stuff like online content which is the weakest part of Sage today which will likely never be fixed.
I'm positive that video delivered on-demand is the future of television, however, for the foreseeable future, recording TV with Sage from cable/satellite is a much better option if you care about image quality and having control over your recordings (such as fast forwarding/comskip through ads and archives of shows).

I guess you can call me old fashion but I never got into Netflix streaming because I don't understanding why I would spend $3,000 on a higher-end LED TV to provide it a low quality, 720p feed, that is hardly any better than a DVD.

Hardware: Intel Core i7-920 with 12GB RAM & an Adaptec 5805 with a Chenbro 36-port SAS Expander
Case: Antec 1200 with 4 iStarUSA trayless hot-swap cages (20 drives max)
Drives: 8 Toshiba/Hitachi 2TB drives in a RAID 6 & 7 Toshiba 3TB drives in a RAID 6
Capture Cards: HDHomeRun Connect Quatro 4, Hauppauge 60 HD-PVR
Players: 5 HD300s, 2 HD200s
Old 01-19-2012, 02:58 PM
Sage Advanced User

Well I feel better that 2012 is secure. I guess I don't have to make any major changes or give up tv this year.
Old 01-19-2012, 04:17 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by will View Post
I guess you can call me old fashion but I never got into Netflix streaming because I don't understanding why I would spend $3,000 on a higher-end LED TV to provide it a low quality, 720p feed, that is hardly any better than a DVD.
Because the content of the film is more important than the picture quality and the sound resolution. And getting access to a huge amount of content on your TV/PC/iPad/iPhone for $8 is a pretty good deal.

It is the same reason that a silent, Black and White movie in a 4x3 aspect ratio is the front runner for the Best Picture Oscar.