SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 02-14-2010, 10:15 PM
Sage Advanced User

WHS, WD 15EADS, Sagetv - horrible stuttering!

So, I was starting to have issues with an old 300 GB drive on my WHS box and decided to replace it with a WD 15EADS drive. Since then I've had nothing but trouble with stuttering in SageTV recordings as well as slight corruption in the recordings.

I think I've tracked it down to a couple issues. First, even though I have space available on other drives, WHS is insisting on storing all recordings on this single drive (since it has the most available space). I never had problems with the older drives, but now I get occasional recording glitches.

However, the stuttering is what is really bad. After investigation, if I try watching any show from the system when the server is running Showanalyzer on 2 or more shows, it is unwatchable. Pausing one of the instances of Showanalyzer clears up the problem. Again, this was never a problem with recordings on other drive models.

Server specs shouldn't be a problem as I am running an Phenom 9750 and 2 GB RAM on the WHS box. The WD15EADS is connected to a Supermicro 8 port SATA card, but I have never had any problems with files being recorded/played back from the other drives on this card. This new drive just replaced the old 300 GB, which was previously connected to the card also.

SageTV is recording to the drive pool, but all the drives have been formated with 64K clusters, and again it was never a problem before this drive.

When I get a chance I will try swapping the drive to a motherboard port just to take that possibility out of the equation.

Anyone out there got any advice?
Old 02-15-2010, 03:22 AM
Sage Advanced User

The 15EADS is the 'green' model that dynamically adjusts speed from 5400rpm to 7200rpm right? If so I think I have a few of those in my WHS and they stream blu ray rips just fine. But my setup is different from yours, my Sage server is a standalone box with its own 2TB of storage for recordings. I am sure many will ask/say that 64k clusters should be used but I've never had that problem either.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:26 AM
SageTVaholic

You may be running into the issue where WHS is running the migrator to balance out the differences in free space among the drives. You may just need to wait until this balances out or look for Drive Balancer Utility

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:29 AM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks for the replies. I shut the server down last night and moved the 15EADS from the Supermicro SATA card (PCI-X in a PCI slot) to a motherboard SATA port and tested it by playing the Olympics in HD while analyzing 3 shows.... no stuttering. I'm going to watch it for the next week and see what happens. I guess the GP drives just don't want to play nice with the Supermicro card (which is very popular for WHS boxes). If that is the case, I may have to pick up a PCIE card for the drives that are currently running off the adapater card.

Considering there is a good chance of me getting 5 free 2 TB WD GP drives from work (and maybe the drobo pro they are sitting in) from a failed attempt at a "cheap" backup solution.... I need to figure out how to get the GP drives to work happily with SageTV
Old 02-15-2010, 11:01 PM
Sage Advanced User

I'll keep the Drive Balancer thing in mind... but tonight was the 2nd night that I didn't have any stuttering, even when deliberately trying to make it stutter..3 showanalyzer sessions on the same drive while recording HD, watching House in HD, and encoding a couple shows on another drive (outside the drive pool).

At this point I'm really feeling that it is the Supermicro card, so I'm happy knowing what drive SageTV is recording to and that it is connected directly to the motherboard.

Thursday night will be a good stress test with my wife's shows, Survivor, and probably some Olympics thrown in for good measure. I'll make sure to delete the vprj/edl/txt files from some shows that night to kick off Showanalyzer during all the recording also...
Old 02-16-2010, 01:24 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_lore View Post
The 15EADS is the 'green' model that dynamically adjusts speed from 5400rpm to 7200rpm right?
Just wanted to point out that this isn't accurate. That's how WD has tried to market them with very careful wording, but they don't actually vary the speeds in any way, other than whether they're spinning or idle. They run at something like 5400 or 5600rpm only, if I remember correctly.
Tuners: 2 x HD-PVR (HTTP tuning), 2 x HDHR, USB-UIRT
Software: SageTV 7
Old 02-19-2010, 03:40 PM
Sage Advanced User

Well.. just updating my thread. So far I haven't had a single stutter from recording to the 15EADS since moving it to the motherboard connections and not the AOC-SATA-MV8. I'm thinking about moving the drive back to the controller just for grins and test again, and if it does the same thing I know it is an issue with my controller card. I guess I can always upgrade to the AOC-SASLP-MV8
Old 04-03-2010, 03:51 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by farscapesg1 View Post
I'm thinking about moving the drive back to the controller just for grins and test again, and if it does the same thing I know it is an issue with my controller card
Did you ever do this test? Was your conclusion that the controller was struggling, or was it the drives do you think?
Old 04-05-2010, 11:07 AM
Sage Advanced User

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to test this out again. Once I got things working again, the wife said "don't break it again" I'm still hoping to get a chance to test it out in the near future... I just have to time it when there isn't any chance of it affecting her shows

I will say that everything has still been smooth sailing, and I've even added a Samsung ecogreen to the mix without any issues (using the onboard SATA ports of course). That will be the drive I move back to the Supermicro card when I get around to testing since it has the least amount of space and the recordings are being sent to it at the moment. If I get the same stuttering issues, then I will know the problem is with the card, being able to duplicate the issue with two different models of drives (both 5900 RPM of course).
Old 04-05-2010, 02:56 PM
Sage User

I have a mATX mobo with only 2x PCIe slots and 2x PCI slots. The PCIe slots are both being used by my tuner cards, so my only option for extra SATA ports is PCI.

I've currently got a 4 port Addonics PCI SATA-II card with a 5 port SATA port multiplier hanging off of it.

I have a few of the same WD15EADS drives and I was a little concerned that they might not be up to the task, especially when recording 3 or more channels at once or when the machine is busy doing other things.

However, after reading this thread, I'm beginning to suspect it may well be the SATA controller/extender which are the bottleneck?

Should I be avoiding the port multiplier perhaps? Are PCI based SATA controllers fast enough for WHS+SageTV with 4 tuners ?