SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV HD Theater - Media Player

Notices

SageTV HD Theater - Media Player Discussion related to using the SageTV HD Theater as a Media Player, i.e.: in use while not connected to a SageTV server. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to using a SageTV HD Theater as a Media Player should be posted here. Use the SageTV Media Extender forum for issues related to using it while connected to a SageTV server.

Old 04-11-2010, 06:26 PM
Sage User

Recommendations for ripping DVD's for use with HD200

Hello,

If there is a posted message on this already, I could not find it. I'm running Sage TV as well as the HD200 media extender. I have far too many DVD's and I want to RIP them and store them on my NAS in a media import directory so I can have instant access via my HD200.

Caveats: I don't want to RIP the entire disk - I want to selectively extract only the DVD menu, whatever "extras" may be included from that menu and the relevant audio tracks.

I want to then take all that, and dump it to whatever format (MPEG-2 presumably) and stick it on my media import directory.

I do not want to get into converting from MPEG-2 format to any other format; unless there is a turnkey solution to do that.

I'm looking for a KISS workflow. I also don't mind paying for a product if the thing works.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you.
Old 04-11-2010, 07:57 PM
SageTVaholic

I'm not aware of anything that will cut out parts of the discs as still allow you to get the extras. Many DVD ripping software titles will allow you to rip either the whole disc or just the main title, but none really do the sort of thing you are looking for (and frankly I am not sure how any would be that intuitive, however I am not an expert in all software titles).

I myself use DVDFAB and use the function to strip the main movie out and that is it. It also allows you to select which audio tracks you want to rip with the main movie. If you want all the extras you will need to just do the "whole disc" which will still leave you with the FBI warnings and previews. I have never had a problem using DVDFAB for ripping DVD's.

Also if you want Sage to recognize it as a DVD, you need to rip directly to VOB's and have the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS directories.
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 04-12-2010, 07:41 AM
Sage Icon

Hands down Slysoft AnyDVDHD!
Old 04-12-2010, 07:51 AM
Sage Icon

I use both DVDFab and AnyDVD. As mentioned, DVDFab does allow you to select the main movie, which should reduce the size. I don't think AnyDVD has that option.

Make sure to backup the whole main directory that contains all your DVDs to another hard drive. Once you rip the DVDs, you don't want to ever have to re-rip hundreds of DVDs.

After you rip the DVDs, you it will be a lot less hassle dealing with physcial DVDs and DVD players. The chapter skip is much faster too.

Dave
SageTV: LIAN LI PC-K58, Gigabyte GA-EX580UD5, i-7 950 3.06 gig quad LGA 1366 CPU, Zalman CNPS9700 CPU cooler 1366 bracket, Memory 24 gigs GB, PNY NVIDIA GeoForce 9800 GT 1024 MB, Corsair 750w PSU, Samsung 500GB SSD boot, 3 SSD recording drives
Capture cards: 2 - HDHR Primes - Comcast Xfinity CableTV
Extenders: 1-HD-300, 2-HD-200
Software: Windows 7 Pro X64, Ghost 15, VideoReDo TVSuite 4 h.264, Playon (Netflix), OpenDCT
UnRAID File Server 4.7 Pro: Lian-Li PC-G70B, MBD-X8SIL-F-O, i3-540, 16 TB
Old 04-12-2010, 07:58 AM
Sage Icon

I use AnyDVD and DVD Shrink. Although I don't shrink the disc. I just grab the main title and leave it uncompressed and put it onto server in folder structure. Works easily. AnyDVD is a must, I concur

Edit, you can also use AnyDVD with MakeMKV and get a single file capable of being played on your HD200, rather than the folders option...

Last edited by wrems; 04-12-2010 at 08:02 AM.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:08 AM
Sage Icon

AnyDVD allows you to skip annoying adverts and trailers and only rip the root menu with the main movie and extras. you cannot, AFAIK rip just the MOVIE no extras etc.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:16 AM
Sage Aficionado

With MakeMKV you don't need Anydvd. You don't need it for most blu-rays either. I haven't found one yet where I need to use anydvd, but there is a list on their forums for people who have had some issues.

You can select which audio/video/subtitle tracks you want in the mkv file and just tell it to rip.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:35 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by aflat View Post
With MakeMKV you don't need Anydvd. You don't need it for most blu-rays either. I haven't found one yet where I need to use anydvd, but there is a list on their forums for people who have had some issues.

You can select which audio/video/subtitle tracks you want in the mkv file and just tell it to rip.
Really? I didn't know that. I always assumed that because AnyDVD is always running in the background that it was taking care of the protection, just like how I use the AnyDVD/DVDshrink combo.

Thats good to know!
Old 04-12-2010, 07:39 PM
Sage User

Thanks for the responses

Thank you everyone for your replies. I'll start looking at the tools mentioned and go from there.

Thanks again !
Old 05-04-2010, 01:14 PM
Sage User

Hi so I use DVD Fab to rip my dvds. They are in the VOB format shown here:

What I can't figure out how to do is get the DVD to work correctly. I can play each of the individual VOB files but usually they have subtitles turned on and sometimes they're in french with subtitles, etc.

I can get the dvd main menu VOB to play but I can't figure out how to move around within the menu and select Play, or turn off the subtitles, etc.

Help!

Thanks!
Susie
Old 05-08-2010, 01:21 PM
SageTVaholic

Check the SageTV manual. Are these files in a folder called VIDEO_TS? Is the VIDEO_TS folder in a folder with the name of the actual DVD movie? And did you import the directory into Sage where all the movie folders exist? If you did the DVDs will just play.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 05-08-2010, 01:33 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky View Post
Check the SageTV manual. Are these files in a folder called VIDEO_TS? Is the VIDEO_TS folder in a folder with the name of the actual DVD movie? And did you import the directory into Sage where all the movie folders exist? If you did the DVDs will just play.

Gerry
Hi Gerry, thanks for the response. Yup all the files are in the video_ts folder, and it's in a folder named after the movie.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by importing the directory into Sage though. The files are located on an external drive that is plugged into the USB port on the Sage HD200 box. I turn on the TV/Sage box, navigate down through the file system until I file the video_ts folder, go into it, and I can play all the individual VOS files.

I'm not sure what you mean by Importing the directory. I've played around a little with the option on the Sage box that says import but honestly I haven't been able to figure out what the heck it does or is supposed to do. I tossed the manual I got with the box because it was about 3 pages long and didn't really explain anything very well (imo). And I just spend 10 mins using the search function trying to find a user's manual here on the forums but haven't had any luck.

If you or anyone else has a link to an in depth manual that explains what all the features are on this thing and how to use it, I would love it. I was told the HD200 was the best thing since sliced bread, but so far in my experience as a standalone box with barely any documentation it isn't super user friendly. (but maybe everything else out there is worse I have no idea)

Thanks!
Susie
Old 05-08-2010, 01:44 PM
SageTVaholic

If you're using the HD200 in standalone and don't have a Sage Media Center installation grab HD-200 manual

From the manual:
For basic configuration, please note a few options that you may wish to consider:

General
Import Directory Management – Choose whether the player should
automatically scan all folders on your local network and attached devices
to find media files or whether you will manually specify the import folders
to be scanned. Note: Import directories can be manually selected from the
Filesystems menu.
Automatic Library Rescan Frequency – Configure the number of hours
between automatic library rescans. To disable automatic rescans, enter 0.

Video – Browse the video collection by a list of video Titles, DVDs, Playlists, or Folders.
Select an item to see available actions for it.
Media Browser Tips:

Press Play to start playing or viewing the currently highlighted item or group of
items.

Press Info to see details info about an item or browse into a group of items.

Use Skip Back #2 and Skip Forward #2 to quickly switch to other browser styles
shown on the top category bar.

Press Options or use the Options icon to see a list of configuration choices for the
current browser. The Advanced options allow you to configure the import
directories or refresh the imported media, along with the ability to set whether
imported videos can be deleted.

Hope this helps.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 05-08-2010, 02:51 PM
Sage User

Thanks again Gerry. I found that in the online manual but it doesn't really tell me anything new.

So here is what I do when I watch any video i have saved on my box:

I go into the folders menu, browse down into whatever device I'm watching a video from, select that video and press play. The video plays just fine.

I can't however do this with the DVDs because they're broken up into a whole bunch of different pieces and some of the pieces don't really work correctly.

Also, I don't understand or haven't found any use for the 'Import' function which I get the sense is the key piece of understanding that I'm missing here. But I have had the box for 5 months now and haven't needed to use it for anything and the documentation doesn't explain at all what it is, what it does, or why I should care about it. But I think you're saying it is going to make DVDs work for me?

Thanks!
Susie
Old 05-08-2010, 03:28 PM
SageTVaholic

You need to configure the directory as an import directory.

See page 6 of the HD200 manual under Media Browser Tips (search for "Import")
http://download.sage.tv/SageTV_HD200_Manual.pdf
Old 05-08-2010, 03:42 PM
Sage User

Hi Stanger89, thanks for the reply. What does configuring the folder as an Import folder do?

So far I've been able to watch all my videos without doing this as you can see above. And I've played with this option a little but I haven't figure out what setting a folder as an import folder actually does. Can you explain to me, when I set the folder as an import folder, what this does?

Thanks,
Susie
Old 05-08-2010, 05:35 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusieQQ View Post
Hi Stanger89, thanks for the reply. What does configuring the folder as an Import folder do?

So far I've been able to watch all my videos without doing this as you can see above. And I've played with this option a little but I haven't figure out what setting a folder as an import folder actually does. Can you explain to me, when I set the folder as an import folder, what this does?

Thanks,
Susie
The import function causes the HD200 to maintain it's own database of your media. It is this local database that determines that that bunch of files in the DVDRip is a DVD, and not a bunch of files. this is why it was recommended that you set it up. You will then be choosing your media from the Video Library, as opposed to browsing the server.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 05-08-2010, 05:50 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
The import function causes the HD200 to maintain it's own database of your media. It is this local database that determines that that bunch of files in the DVDRip is a DVD, and not a bunch of files. this is why it was recommended that you set it up. You will then be choosing your media from the Video Library, as opposed to browsing the server.
Ahhhhhhhhhhh. Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. Hopefully sometime they rewrite their manual with important info like that

I've got the import going, hopefully tomorrow it will be all done and I can play around with it.

Thanks!
Susie
Old 05-08-2010, 06:05 PM
SageTVaholic

The import shouldn't really take all that long.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 05-19-2010, 08:27 PM
Sage Advanced User

AnyDVD and CloneDVD2 from slysoft is what I use. CloneDVD2 lets you choose what you want to keep and what you don't and then rips the video so that it still has all the extras and dvd menus.

Q
________
Harley-Davidson Model 10

Last edited by Quazeye; 01-26-2011 at 12:30 AM.

Tags
audio, dvd, mpeg2, rip, selective