SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 04-02-2004, 09:22 PM
Sage User

Aggravating .15 problems

After upgrading to .15, I've encountered two very aggravating problems. The first, and more serious, is a black screen. When watching live tv or a recording, I get a blank, black screen with audio but no video whatsoever. Someone else posted the same problem, but his went away after a few reboots - mine persists.

The other problem is that Sage will never start on my second monitor - it insists on starting on my primary monitor, which drives me nuts. I never had a problem with this before!

Any help anyone could offer would be enormously appreciated.
Old 04-02-2004, 09:26 PM
Sage User

Update

Interesting twist - I seem to get video fine if I watch Sage on the primary monitor, but if I try to drag it to the secondary monitor, I lose the picture in both. Is anyone else having trouble getting Sage to work with a dual-monitor setup? It's a Radeon card, sending S-Video output to a TV for the secondary screen.
Old 04-02-2004, 09:29 PM
SageTVaholic

You should be able to get a picture if you change your renderer to Default or VMR9, it sounds like a multimonitor/overlay issue.

As for Sage not starting on the secondary monitor, if it used to work then submit it as a bug.
Old 04-02-2004, 10:10 PM
Sage User

No, no joy in Mudville tonight. I fixed the problem with Sage starting in the wrong display - I simply had to shut it down with it running on the secondary monitor, and it remembered its position. But I still can't get any picture, in overlay or VMR9 or default. I tried re-installing my video drivers, tweaking all the settings I could think of; nothing works. Has anyone else had this problem? Where can I get a copy of .14 - I'll need to roll back if there's no fix.
Old 04-02-2004, 10:55 PM
Sage Advanced User

I did a fresh Sage install and fixed this problem, although ofcouse it lost all its "intelligent" information.

-Brett
Old 04-02-2004, 11:04 PM
SageTVaholic

If you need .14 try here:
http://download.sage.tv/SageTV_V2_0_14BetaSetup.exe

If Default and VMR9, I'm really at a loss. If this is new behavior with .15 then submit a bug report so hopefully it can get fixed.
Old 04-03-2004, 12:00 AM
Sage User

Thanks for all your help. The last guy to note this problem said it seemed to go away on its own eventually; I'll give it a couple of days then try a fresh install. Thanks.
Old 04-03-2004, 04:06 AM
SageTVaholic

did you enable 3d acceleration when using default or VMR 9
thats the only way I could get it to work in my setup
Old 04-03-2004, 07:32 AM

I had a similar problem recently. For me I shutdown Sage, changed resolutions in Windows, then restarted Sage. Funny thing is I then closed Sage, changed resolutions back to what it was, started Sage and was still fine. Changing resolutions must have kick-started something.
Old 04-03-2004, 04:40 PM
Sage User

Enabling 3D acceleration worked like a champ, but now the video slows to a crawl - very jumpy and low framerate. I think that's a problem with my 3D acceleration; I've noticed that accelerated windows are very slow on my secondary display. Don't know why, though, or how to fix it.

*Sigh* - out of the frying pan and into the fire. Thanks for the tip, though; one step closer to fixed.
Old 04-03-2004, 05:14 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally posted by kmcrober
Enabling 3D acceleration worked like a champ, but now the video slows to a crawl - very jumpy and low framerate. I think that's a problem with my 3D acceleration; I've noticed that accelerated windows are very slow on my secondary display. Don't know why, though, or how to fix it.

*Sigh* - out of the frying pan and into the fire. Thanks for the tip, though; one step closer to fixed.
The problem is probably that DirectX treats each monitor as being driven by a seperate device, even if both are driven by the same one.

So what's probably happening is that everything is being done on the device for your primary screen, then being copied, via system memory, to the secondary device, even though the second device is actually the same video card. A bit like going to the local shop via Japan (unless you live in Japan, of course), and just as slow.

There are various ways around this. The simplest is for Sage to recognise which device it needs to be running on and recreate all its DirectX stuff to suit. This means your window can't straddle both monitors, as one of the bits will still need copied, but it's a reasonable restriction a lot of apps decide to live with.

It may be that Sage does do this kind of check, but only at startup. Do you get the massive slowdown when closing Sage and starting it again such that it starts up on the correct monitor?

- Neil.
Old 04-04-2004, 12:47 AM
Sage User

Very interesting

Great info, thanks. I haven't noticed any more lag in starting/closing on the secondary monitor. Is there, perhaps, an external solution? Hydravision has an option to disable windows straddling; I don't suppose that would solve the problem by itself, but would it let me apply some other fix?
Old 04-04-2004, 01:05 AM
Sage Advanced User

Re: Very interesting

Quote:
Originally posted by kmcrober
Great info, thanks. I haven't noticed any more lag in starting/closing on the secondary monitor. Is there, perhaps, an external solution? Hydravision has an option to disable windows straddling; I don't suppose that would solve the problem by itself, but would it let me apply some other fix?
I'm not sure, to be honest. Drivers can cheat to a certain extent, to allow apps to work on multiple monitors more effectively. In fact, in the eariler days of multi-monitor support, this is what they had to do (with limited success).

For example, you may find that there is a way to tell your driver only to enumerate the appropriate device for the monitor an app starts on, so apps which just use the first device they come across will get the right one for that monitor. That's a bit of a longshot, but you never know.

I don't have a multi-monitor setup where I am at the moment, but if I get a chance, I'll have a look and see if I can spot anything that rings a bell.

- Neil.
Old 04-04-2004, 03:09 AM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via ICQ to TunaBoo Send a message via AIM to TunaBoo Send a message via Yahoo to TunaBoo
In the ATI drivers, there is a little circle deal that you check to make 1 device your primary. Make the screen you are watching sageTV on your primary. (hope you don't plan to play games or such on your other screen, but for most people their sage and gaming PCs are different...)

My laptop has svideo out, and I got it to work just fine. Has some low end 16 meg ATI card in it. I mirror the laptop screen and TV, with the TV as primary.
Old 04-04-2004, 08:27 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally posted by TunaBoo
In the ATI drivers, there is a little circle deal that you check to make 1 device your primary. Make the screen you are watching sageTV on your primary. (hope you don't plan to play games or such on your other screen, but for most people their sage and gaming PCs are different...)

My laptop has svideo out, and I got it to work just fine. Has some low end 16 meg ATI card in it. I mirror the laptop screen and TV, with the TV as primary.
Good point. I suggested trying this in another thread a few days ago, but I managed to completely forget about it for this one. One thing I wasn't sure about was if there were any gotchas with doing this, but it sounds as if it works pretty well for you.

- Neil.
Old 04-05-2004, 02:55 AM
Sage Advanced User

If you use an ATI radeon, install the HYDRAVISION software. This allows you to remember the position of a window so it will start again on the same place.
So if sage starts on you primary monitor, drag it to the secondary. If you don't have the picture, close sageTV and restart it: it will start on the sec. Monitor.

I use that with a Radeon 7000 with TV on S-video as secondary. IT works perfectly (in overlay)

regards

Ferdinand
Old 04-27-2004, 04:17 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
After upgrading to .15, I've encountered two very aggravating problems. The first, and more serious, is a black screen. When watching live tv or a recording, I get a blank, black screen with audio but no video whatsoever. Someone else posted the same problem, but his went away after a few reboots - mine persists.

Mine does the same with Sage Recorder. Never got to the bottom of it and went back to V1.4 again with no problems.