SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > The SageTV Community

Notices

The SageTV Community Here's the place to discuss what's worth recording, HTPC deals at retail stores, events happening outside of your home theater, and pretty much anything else you'd like. (No For-Sale posts)

Old 11-14-2010, 12:50 PM
Sage Aficionado

Editing HD Video

Hi,

I am looking into editing HD movies that I have recorded using SageTV so that I can archive them and view them at a later time.

To make them easier to view and smaller I was hoping to remove the wasted part of the recordings before and after the film starts as well as any commercials.

Could anyone recomend any software capable of editing HD video files?

Previously I used Video Re Do which was good for SD video as it did not re-encode the files and allows you to cut and splice the video together, it was quick and worked well so I upgraded it to version 4 in order to handle HD video however it does not seem to like my HD mpeg files and refuses to accept them.

For information I use DVBLogic as a network video source in SageTV which could be causing the compatability issue but SageTV works well with it and plays the videos fine so I am a little confised as to what editing sofware I can use with HD mpeg files.

For information I am using Windows 7 64 bit so any application need to be compatible with this OS, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

David

Last edited by Bacon2002; 11-14-2010 at 01:15 PM.
Old 11-14-2010, 05:52 PM
Sage Aficionado

I use Mpg2Cut2 for stuff like that. Usually, I encode the files as MKVs using H.264 after editing them to make them fit on a single DVD. For that step, I use handbrake. You can find a lot of other tools for editing, authoring, ... on videohelp.com, including reviews and guides.

Thomas
Old 11-15-2010, 03:29 PM
SageTVaholic

There is a newer version of VideoReDo which can edit H.264 files. It may still be in beta - have you tried that version of VideoReDo?
Old 11-16-2010, 01:45 PM
Sage Aficionado

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

I have the latest version of VideoReDo that supports h.264 and I have worked out that I need to convert the video files the format that DVBLogic creates .mpg to .ts (or something similar) otherwsie VideoReDo rejects the file as unsupported.

I found some software that can do this but it takes hours to convert each file and the converted files are much smaller than the originals so I am assuming that this software is re-encoding the file and nodoubt subsequently reducing or at least effecting the quality.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks again,

David
Old 11-24-2010, 01:57 PM
Sage Aficionado

Hi,

For information it looks like my editing problem is something to do with the files that are created by SageTV when it uses DVBLogic as a network encoder.

It appear when used with DVBLogic that SageTV create MPEG-PS H.264 files which are not normally supported by editing software such as VideoReDo.

I have posted a support request so hopefully SageTV will be able to do something to change these recording to MPEG-TS in future?

David
Old 11-24-2010, 02:45 PM
Sage User

Ok, I use "Smart Cutter" to cut front and back garbage from recorded TS videos. Smart Cutter is free...Commercials are "processed" using SageTV with Comm Skip installed. You will need to make a donation to get Comm Skip to process TS 264 files...I then convert TS files to MKVs using DIVX 8 which is also free. As long as u save the *.edl files from Comm Skip detected TS files, comm skip works fine while playing converted to MKVs using Sage and Comm Skip play back.
4 HD200s running in extender mode.
Old 11-24-2010, 03:16 PM
SageTVaholic

This doesn't really do anything about your current recordings but have you changed the properties setting on those particular tuners to record to ts files? Example from my properties:

mmc/encoders/-65231270/100/0/encode_digital_tv_as_program_stream=true

If you change that setting to "false" on your DVB tuners it should record to a transport stream.