SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 08-15-2019, 04:59 PM
Sage Advanced User

Testing the OpenDCT Generic HTTP Capture Device with IPTV

@enternoescape
I have set up a test of connecting an IPTV data source to SageTV. I think I am seeing some of the things that @rickygillon, above, is seeing. I am attaching logs and config and hoping you can tell me what configuration to change.

The simple use case for IPTV is to use VLC to view a playlist of streams. With VLC, you can stream a source via HTTP. If there is no data, you get an error, so you shut down VLC, or go to another stream in the playlist. If a stream halts, the play button changes from playing to halted. In many cases, you can press the play button to restart the stream. What I am hoping that OpenDCT can do is the same sort of things I do when I use VLC to stream the playlist interactively. That is, when a stream halts, try restarting it. If, after so-many milliseconds of trying, the stream cannot be restarted, then report the error.

I am using TVHeadend (TVH) to organize my playlists and EPG. In my config, I point OpenDCT to the TVH server. It provides the streaming.

When I connect to a stream, TVH has a status page that shows the active stream and the bit-rate. If the bit-rate is zero, I know that the stream is dead. My current issue is that, in some cases, I can see an active stream in TVH's status page, but OpenDCT is not serving data to SageTV. Also, the Unraid / Sage / OpenDCT server seems to be locking up, with OpenDCT activity seeming to be the cause. See the bottom of the log for where I had the issues.

The attached logs are from a session where I started OpenDCT and SageTV, tuned to a channel, stopped the recording, then went to another channel and tuned it. I did this several times. Occasionally, a stream would not have data, so I stopped it and went to another channel. At the bottom of the log I tuned a dead (zero bit-rate) channel. Then I went to a channel I saw was active (from TVH's status) but all I saw in SageTV was the "No Signal" message. I also saw, on my Unraid CPU status, that the CPU activity in several of the cores was pegged to 100%. Restarting OpenDCT resolved the CPU activity issue and at this point I ended the test.

As you recommended above, I tried changing the producer to opendct.producer.HTTPProducer. OpenDCT flags this as an error and changes it back. See my log, near the top, I think, for the message.

I have attached my current config and the logs. There is an FFMpeg log included, but that was from a few minutes before the main issue, I think. Let me know if you need more information.
Attached Files
File Type: zip OpenDCT logs and config.zip (252.6 KB, 3 views)
All in lovely Drexel Hill, PA
Old 08-19-2019, 07:57 AM
Sage Icon

As you've seen, I tried for ages to get Sage and openDCT to play nice with IPTV. It just doesn't work, and for whatever reason the community support isn't there. This isn't a criticism of the community, I understand people have lives.

I have IPTV working reliably with SageTV now for recording, and 50/50 for live TV. This is how I did it. Install the node-ffmpeg-mpegts-proxy docker. You'll need to change settings on the Apps screen in unRAID to "Enable additional search results from dockerHub." This docker simply ffmpegs all input and outputs a TS, restarts stalled streams, cleans up. This means you're passing openDCT a clean stream and it doesn't have to restart etc. I realise openDCT is supposed to do this job, but it just can't do it reliably with iptv.

I have set this docker as the source for all IPTV, i.e. Plex, openDCT etc. It's rock-solid in Plex, Emby etc. for recordings and live TV; and in Sage for recordings only. Maybe it'll be better for you in live TV, it's not important enough for me to bother as I don't really use Sage any more, I only keep it for my wife who doesn't want to move. Once Plex does keyword recording I expect we'll dump Sage. Unless SWMBO says otherwise.
unRAID Server: Intel Core i5 7600K, 16GB DDR4, 2x512GB PCIe M.2 Cache Pool, 2x4TB SATA3 Parity Drive, 2x3TB + 1x4TB SATA Array, 1x TBS 6284 PCIe DVB-T2 Quad, 2x TBS 6205 PCIe DVB-T Quad, Cable TV from TBS2603 sat/IP, IPTV via Telly & node-ffmpeg-mpegts-proxy, unRAID 6.6.6, TVheadend for recording back end, OpenDCT, SDEPG, SageTV 9
Clients: 3 Nvidia Shields, 2 Android Miniclients (Amlogic S905X), 3 Win10 Pro PC Clients
Old 08-19-2019, 10:13 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickgillyon View Post
As you've seen, I tried for ages to get Sage and openDCT to play nice with IPTV. It just doesn't work, and for whatever reason the community support isn't there. This isn't a criticism of the community, I understand people have lives.

I have IPTV working reliably with SageTV now for recording, and 50/50 for live TV. This is how I did it. Install the node-ffmpeg-mpegts-proxy docker. You'll need to change settings on the Apps screen in unRAID to "Enable additional search results from dockerHub." This docker simply ffmpegs all input and outputs a TS, restarts stalled streams, cleans up. This means you're passing openDCT a clean stream and it doesn't have to restart etc. I realise openDCT is supposed to do this job, but it just can't do it reliably with iptv.

I have set this docker as the source for all IPTV, i.e. Plex, openDCT etc. It's rock-solid in Plex, Emby etc. for recordings and live TV; and in Sage for recordings only. Maybe it'll be better for you in live TV, it's not important enough for me to bother as I don't really use Sage any more, I only keep it for my wife who doesn't want to move. Once Plex does keyword recording I expect we'll dump Sage. Unless SWMBO says otherwise.
Thanks for the ideas. I will give it a try.
All in lovely Drexel Hill, PA

Tags
hdmi, iptv, script