SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV v7 Customizations

Notices

SageTV v7 Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV version 7 application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss plugins for SageTV version 7 and newer.

Old 05-20-2010, 07:27 AM
Sage Icon

Comskip Playback for v7

I uploaded a direct (and incomplete) port of JREkiwi's Comskip Playback for the Default STV to the plugin repository. Hopefully this will keep everyone comskipping along until JREkiwi can do a proper V7 port.

Working Sections: changes to the OSD timeline, functionality during playback (autoskip, left/right to skip), and Comskip Options on the OSD and under Detailed Setup -> Customize.

Not Working: Anything else, ie the EPG and info view customizations were not relinked

Post any issues with the port or installation here

v6 thread for reference here

Installation Instructions:
from the Sage V7 main menu go to Setup -> SageTV Plugins -> All Available Plugins -> STVi -> Comskip Playback -> Install Client (or server) Plugin

Note: To get accurate skipping (mostly noticable when using the hd-pvr) make sure you set the following property to true (it is false by default) in sage.properties (ie server property)
Code:
videoframe/disable_timescaling_on_seek=true
Check out TVExplorer

Last edited by razrsharpe; 05-22-2010 at 08:53 PM.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:09 AM
Sage Aficionado

Thanks, but I'm surprised that Sage didn't build this in to version 7. Are there actually people who don't use comskip?
Old 05-20-2010, 10:12 AM
Sage Icon

my guess is they can't/don't want to for contractual/business reasons... i.e. - they don't want to piss off the content providers
Check out TVExplorer
Old 05-20-2010, 10:14 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by razrsharpe View Post
my guess is they can't/don't want to for contractual/business reasons... i.e. - they don't want to piss off the content providers
Yeah, I guess that make sense.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:31 AM
SageTVaholic

And with how easy it is to install now, I don't really see much benefit.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:35 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpaddock3000 View Post
Are there actually people who don't use comskip?
Yes, there are, but you probably won't find many of them reading this thread.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:49 PM
Sage Advanced User

I don't, but that's only because I'm an eeeediot (Ren and Stimpy reference, natch!) who used up what little geek cred he had getting Jetty and the metadata plugins working. My first few tries with Comskip resulted in chopped recordings missing bits, and I quailed at the thought of the lost WAF.

That, and I did figure out how to set my FFWD button on my remotes to 150 seconds so it just took a click.

I would LIKE to use it though, so if it gets easier in v7, I'm a fan.
Old 05-20-2010, 03:20 PM
Sage Aficionado

Is there a reason the disable_timescaling_on_seek property isn't always true? Is it ok to set it to true even though I have multiple tuners, not all of them a hdpvr?
Old 05-20-2010, 03:40 PM
SageTVaholic

If it's not set, then recordings often (usually?) won't quite fill the timeline. They'll end a little soon. Apparently Sage got enough support requests at some point that they added the scaling.

I've turned it on with no ill effects. It doesn't affect anything (AFAIK) but how the timeline playback fits the timeline.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:59 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpaddock3000 View Post
Thanks, but I'm surprised that Sage didn't build this in to version 7. Are there actually people who don't use comskip?
ok, out of the closet..............i am just now starting to use comskip!

i mistakenly had thought it was only for post-editing out the commercials.

now that i see how it works, i'm jumping on board, and have a 200+ thread to read.............so far, it seems to work fine for me on hdhr channels but i haven't figured out how to get it to work on hdpvr channels yet............i'm just starting to read the thread, but if someone wants to jump in and explain how to get hdpvr files to work with comskip, i'd be very pleased.

cheers
Old 06-24-2011, 08:02 AM
Sage Icon

.ts file processing is only available in te donators version of comskip. Head over to the site and make a donation..
Old 06-24-2011, 08:34 AM
Sage Aficionado

Also the donator version allows you to comskip shows as they are being recorded. the free version will not run until the show is fully recorded.

On another note: I currently have my HD-PVR recording 1080i - it takes a quite a while to comskip them. The 1080i TS files do not play great via placeshifter, and I've read setting my cable box to 720p will resolve that. I kinda wonder if Comskip would be quicker as well. I plan on doing that one of these days as my only HD TV is only 32" I don't see 1080 doing anything for me anyway...
Retired - Hava, MediaMVP, HD-100, HD-PVR, HVR-2250, Ceton InfiniTV4, Original (white) HDHomeRun Died - HD-100, HD-300
Old 06-24-2011, 08:36 AM
Sage Aficionado

http://www.kaashoek.com/comskip/

yellow 'make a donation' button
Retired - Hava, MediaMVP, HD-100, HD-PVR, HVR-2250, Ceton InfiniTV4, Original (white) HDHomeRun Died - HD-100, HD-300
Old 06-24-2011, 09:25 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiX64 View Post
.ts file processing is only available in te donators version of comskip. Head over to the site and make a donation..
Technically, either will do .mpg OR .ts containers. The difference is the encoding. The free version will only process MPEG-2, while the donator's version will process MPEG-4 (H.264) as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat6man View Post
thanks everyone..............it is so cool that by asking questions as i went through the thread, i had my answers to my open issues waiting for me when i got to the thread's end......this community is the best.

now to go donate

thanks again
keep in mind it'll take a day or so usually for him to get you the login for the donator's ftp site.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 06-24-2011, 09:26 AM
SageTVaholic

When you DO get the donator's version of comskip, I'd recommend NOT simply replacing the one that comes with commercial detector, but instead, extract it somewhere else and point commercial detector to that location. (otherwise, you may risk having the donator's version overwritten with the free one if you reinstall or update the plugin).

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 05-29-2010, 06:12 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by razrsharpe View Post
Note: To get accurate skipping (mostly noticable when using the hd-pvr) make sure you set the following property to true (it is false by default) in sage.properties (ie server property)
Code:
videoframe/disable_timescaling_on_seek=true
THANK YOU! I've been struggling with this "feature" of Sage for a while now and been forced to resave some shows through the web interface to get Sage to honor the video's timeline when reporting to comskip instead of lying to it (doesn't make sense to me -- lying about time to a sub-program that needs accurate time is never a good thing -- especially when the lie is only meant for the user's visual sense).

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 @4025 MHz, 8G G.Skill Performance
DFI Lanparty DK X48-T2RS Plus; SilverStone Decathlon DA1000 (died - back to an ancient enermax)
eVGA 7900 GT KO RoHS -- Zalman VP900CU Cooling
Synology NAS 22TB
Old 05-30-2010, 06:23 AM
Sage Advanced User

showanalyzer suite vs comskip/csm/dirmon2

i have been having some problems of late with showanalyzer suite and was interested in trying comskip again...does it do .ts files made from the HDPVR, and mpg from hdhomerun? i remember that was why i switched to the new version of showanalyzer suite which had built in monitoring as well as commercial detection but some shows still are not getting run.
Old 05-30-2010, 07:04 AM
Sage Advanced User

[Originally Posted by razrsharpe

Code:
videoframe/disable_timescaling_on_seek=true]

I went to my v7 sage.properties (server) to change this but didn't find the "videoframe" line razrsharpe pointed to, so I added it. Hope I didn't screw something up. Guess we'll see in a few after running Dirmon2 on a few shows.
Server: Sage WHS 7.0.9 - Core 2 Quad 2.66Ghz, 4GB ram, 160GB(system) + 300GB(data) pooled HD, 400GB + 1TB non-pooled HD, MSI 9400GT video, 4-port serial, Windows Home Server 2003, 2-DTV H20 receivers, 2-HD-PVR E1 tuners, 2-Patterson usb translators for DTV usb to serial channel select control
Client 1: Sage Client 7.0.9 - Core 2 Duo E6300, 4GB ram, 400GB HD, Xonar 7.1 Audio, Blu-ray DVD, Asus 9500GT video with HDMI connect to Denon 3310CI and 60" LG Plasma, Windows 7 32bit
Old 05-30-2010, 11:11 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportera View Post
I went to my v7 sage.properties (server) to change this but didn't find the "videoframe" line razrsharpe pointed to, so I added it. Hope I didn't screw something up. Guess we'll see in a few after running Dirmon2 on a few shows.
I dont remember if i needed to add it or change it.. i believe change it but who knows... and just a point of clarification... this has no effect on running comskip... it only effects playback... so any file that you've run comskip/showanalyzer on should be more accurate in its skipping.
Check out TVExplorer
Old 05-30-2010, 11:17 AM
Sage Icon

note that this is not a thread on showanalyzer or comskip the tools.. but rather enabling their use in the STV.... anywhos on to your questions...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericft View Post
i have been having some problems of late with showanalyzer suite and was interested in trying comskip again...does it do .ts files made from the HDPVR, and mpg from hdhomerun? i remember that was why i switched to the new version of showanalyzer suite which had built in monitoring as well as commercial detection but some shows still are not getting run.
the free version of comskip will only do mpgs... it will not do h264 .ts... the paid version processes .ts files fine... Ive been thinking of trying on showanalyzer because i hear its faster and can be more accurate... however i would still launch either program from sjq/dirmon2...
Check out TVExplorer