SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV HD Theater - Media Player

Notices

SageTV HD Theater - Media Player Discussion related to using the SageTV HD Theater as a Media Player, i.e.: in use while not connected to a SageTV server. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to using a SageTV HD Theater as a Media Player should be posted here. Use the SageTV Media Extender forum for issues related to using it while connected to a SageTV server.

Old 02-08-2010, 12:15 PM
Sage User

Question HD200 internet question

First things first, I rent in a "bachelor pad" type situation with 4 non-networked PC's, a wii, and a ps3 sharing an internet connection.

I will be buying an HD200 soon and intend on using a wired router between it and the Sage server. However The server machine connects to the internet via USB 802.11g (thus the need to wire the HD200). It is not conducive to wire through the internet router. Can I have a LAN connection and a wireless connection on the Sage server machine? (sure seems possible) And if I can get the HD200 to play from the server will I be able to get internet function?

That it enough questions to start with, please advise.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:35 PM
SageTVaholic

I'm confused. If your PCs have no networking, how do they manage to share an internet connection? Is it just the Wii and the PS3 that connect to the internet? Or are you saying that each PC connects separately to your building's Wifi network, with no local network in your unit?

I'm also confused about why you want to put a router between the HD200 and your Sage server if the router will have no internet access. Why not use a simple crossover cable in that case?

Either way, you should be able to set up Internet Connection Sharing on the server to route traffic from the HD200 to the internet.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:22 PM
Sage User

Greg, my apologies for any confusion. Correct "each PC connects separately to your building's (house's) Wifi network, with no local network in your unit?"

I am pretty good with using PCs but not great at networking, I've never really had a budget for lots of toys. The router between idea is listed on the HD200 information page. I am just now learning about the simple crossover cable that sounds (in theory) the best way to go. If I understand correctly I will not need to install a DHCP server program or use a router with a crossover cable I will just have to use static IP mode for the HD200 to play from the Sage server?

Internet Connection Sharing is also a new topic for me. I think I can research that before blindly asking too many questions in these forums.

Thanks for a quick and quite helpful response.

Last edited by arialmt; 02-10-2010 at 03:54 PM.
Old 02-08-2010, 02:01 PM
Sage User

internet connection sharing

I should enable sharing for the Sage server wireless connection not the crossover connection (LAN)? seems logical anyway.
Old 02-08-2010, 02:58 PM
SageTVaholic

Just to be completely clear: you're renting a room in a house shared with other renters, with Wifi access provided by your landlord? In that case ICS with a crossover cable is probably your best bet. And yes, the wireless connection is the one you want to share. ICS provides DHCP to the downstream clients, so you shouldn't need to resort to a static LAN IP for the HD200.

Or do you rent the whole house, and provide your own Wifi? In this case, you should be able to set up wired LAN connections from the HD200 and the Sage server PC to your existing Wifi router. Then you don't need ICS or a crossover cable, and the HD200 will be able to access the internet directly through your existing router. This would be the preferable way to go, assuming you have control over your existing Wifi infrastructure.
Old 02-08-2010, 04:26 PM
Sage User

I rent a room in a house with included wifi. If I wanted, I could easily take control (absentee landlord) and replace the current 802.11g router with an "n", or add a wireless "n" access point but that is an expense, not to mention hassle, I'm not willing to deal with. Also I don't want to use any shared wireless bandwidth for streaming recorded HDTV.

Really I only care about playing recorded TV and stored files therefore any internet functionality is a bonus. I understand it makes firmware upgrades much simpler.

I'm pretty sure I've used ICS in the past (as a client) but had forgotten about it until after I went ahead and enabled it earlier today. The information you have provided has been most helpful during this "pre-purchase process". It feels like all the ducks are in a row now.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:41 PM
SageTVaholic

This may be a down the road thing, but if I were you I'd get a Wireless Access Point/Bridge and a router, then connect to your WiFi via the bridge and the feed the rest of your stuff wired via the router.

This would give you much better transfer performance between your machines, plus it would be more secure for you, keeping your machines hidden from your neighbors.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:13 PM
Sage User

Down the road, yes I agree.