SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 11-09-2013, 11:31 AM
Sage Advanced User

HD200 Won't Play 20% of SageDCT Recordings Recordings

Anyone else having issues playing back SageDCT recordings in the last week or so ???

I am running an ancient version of SageDCT (1.4) and have Comcast. In the last week or so, about 20% of the recordings will no longer play on HD200s.
They recordings won't play on the server using Sage Client either (playback exception).

My default HD media player app (Media Player Classic) on the server will play the files with no issues.

The release notes for the newest SageDCT require 51+ BETA Ceton firmware, so I can't upgrade.

Last edited by FreshOne; 11-09-2013 at 12:57 PM.
Old 11-09-2013, 03:17 PM
Sage Advanced User

I am having similar issues. My setup is SageTV 7.1.9 running on a HP EX495, OS is Windows 2003 WHS version, SageDCT 2.6.0.0, HD HomerRun Prime w/Cable Card, Comcast Digital, with 200 & 300 extenders.

I have noticed that since Comcast has now stopped clear QAM channels in my area just a few days ago and I am solely using and recording my shows on the HomeRun Prime that some of my show will play with no video, audio only, or when I select "Watch Now" all I get is the spinning wheel. I would guess between 10 to 20% of the shows are affected. I have to then reboot the extender, both 200 & 300's affected.

But I can play all those shows perfectly in VLC on a laptop/desktop over the LAN. So I know its not the recording of the shows, but maybe part of the encoded information? Just guessing. I am going to try and do more troubleshooting tomorrow.

I was planning on buying another HD HR Prime with another cable card so I can have 6 total tuners. I had 9 before Comcast nixed the clear QAM channels.

Let me know what you find.

Thanks
Old 11-10-2013, 11:46 AM
Sage Icon

Ditto, also a Comcast subscriber. It started happening to me 3 weeks ago.

Next weekend I am going to try a 100% reinstall of everything an see if that
helps. My wife is talking up 4 Tivo boxes if i can't fix this...........oh god

What the (beep) is going on
Old 11-10-2013, 01:01 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffdaddy View Post

I would try and check the copy flag on the channels you are having problem with. SageDCT service will lock up more often than not if you attempt to tune a copy once or copy never channel.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:07 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:

Well don't be surprised if it comes down to Tivo or Sage, I ordered a Tivo Roamio Plus, a 3TB HD (to upgrade to 450 HD hours) and a Tivo Mini to try due to this issues with Comcast and SageTV. The lack of extenders was always the sticking point with Tivo and all other DVR systems. But this time Tivo may have something.

I don't think its a flag issue as these errors are not consistent, the same show records this week but not next week. But I should state that the shows do record, I can play them on a PC, its just Sage is having problems playing them.
Old 11-10-2013, 11:03 PM
Sage Advanced User

You may need to go with the latest/donator version of SageDCT and select ffmpeg which will allow it to re-encode the video on the fly. I think from the other forums its a issue with the decoder on sage and since there is no future coming this is the best solution.

Unfortunately I've yet to get it all working reliably yet. Stupid Comcast and Google.
Old 11-11-2013, 12:37 AM
Sage User

2:1 countdown time

I'm also having an issue with Comcast, HDHRPrime and SageDCT, but my symptoms are a little different. For me is seems to be related to the timings encoded in the video file or something like that. (Oh, and I've also recently switched due to @#&*$ Comcast dropping their ClearQAM broadcast.)

When I'm watching a recording then it appears to be playing back fine, but if I watch the time remaining value on the right side of the HUD then it is actuall moving down 2 or 3 seconds per second instead of 1 second per second like it should be. The total time of the recording is correct, however when I get to the end of what it thinks is the full hour of the program, I've actually only watched about 20-30 minutes of it. I just noticed that if I watch the video while it is still recording then the time remaining countdown moves at the correct pace, however it starts messing up (jumpy, choppy, etc.) about 20 minutes into the program.

I seem to remember a message thead here a few years ago about similar symptoms but I wasn't able to find it when searching. Does this ring a bell for anybody?

Last edited by robind; 11-11-2013 at 01:05 AM.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:31 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace007 View Post
You may need to go with the latest/donator version of SageDCT and select ffmpeg which will allow it to re-encode the video on the fly.

Unfortunately I've yet to get it all working reliably yet. Stupid Comcast and Google.
Hi

is there a donation version of SageDCT? I could not find a link for it on his support page. Maybe i missed it.

Iam at my wits end right now, last night nothing recorded that sage could play back. Yet VLC played everything. I don't know what Comcast charged but it really screwed my system up. Is this thy end of me and sagetv?

It's starting to look like it

Last edited by Fluffdaddy; 11-13-2013 at 10:33 AM.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:22 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by robind View Post
I'm also having an issue with Comcast, HDHRPrime and SageDCT, but my symptoms are a little different. For me is seems to be related to the timings encoded in the video file or something like that. (Oh, and I've also recently switched due to @#&*$ Comcast dropping their ClearQAM broadcast.)

When I'm watching a recording then it appears to be playing back fine, but if I watch the time remaining value on the right side of the HUD then it is actuall moving down 2 or 3 seconds per second instead of 1 second per second like it should be. The total time of the recording is correct, however when I get to the end of what it thinks is the full hour of the program, I've actually only watched about 20-30 minutes of it. I just noticed that if I watch the video while it is still recording then the time remaining countdown moves at the correct pace, however it starts messing up (jumpy, choppy, etc.) about 20 minutes into the program.
I figured out my problem, and it was only slightly SageDCT related. I was recording directly to a NAS and either the LAN or the NAS was having congestion problems or something and data were being dropped to compensate. Recording directly to a local disk results in nearly perfect recordings. I'll just set up a job to move recordings to the NAS at the end of the day, or something like that.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:29 AM
Sage User

Quote:
is there a donation version of SageDCT? I could not find a link for it on his support page. Maybe i missed it.
On the home page of the site there is a Make a Donation button. Once your $5 contribution goes through then he will enable you to have access to the Limited Access version of his tools, such as SageDCT-2.7.2.

Last edited by robind; 11-13-2013 at 11:32 AM.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:16 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by robind View Post
On the home page of the site there is a Make a Donation button. Once your $5 contribution goes through then he will enable you to have access to the Limited Access version of his tools, such as SageDCT-2.7.2.
Thanks much.
It's ez to miss when your wife is yelling about all her judge reality she missed the pass two weeks
Old 11-14-2013, 06:13 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
That was my concern about upgrading.

SageDCT 1.0.4 has been EXTREMELY RELIABLE and basically never misses a recording. I would hate to upgrade and start missing recordings.
Old 12-24-2013, 03:00 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
You may need to go with the latest/donator version of SageDCT and select ffmpeg which will allow it to re-encode the video on the fly. I think from the other forums its a issue with the decoder on sage and since there is no future coming this is the best solution.

I upgraded to the newest donator version of SageDCT and with FFMPEG enabled, I have had no issues with recordings since the upgrade (over 2 weeks and at least 70-80 shows recorded).

So if you are having problems with non-playable TS files on Comcast, I would highly encourage trying out the FFMPEG version of SageDCT.