SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 05-11-2010, 08:11 AM
Sage Advanced User

Directv channel change

I am trying to change channels with the serial control on my directv receiver and getting nowhere. My unit is a HR21-700 with the latest firmware on it. (anyone have it working with this receiver?)
I purchased the cables and null modem from monoprice per instructions in one of the threads.
D/L drivers from prolific site (they did not recognize the cables as legit prolific chips) Used Prolific drivers from disk that came with the cables. The older drivers (2007) accepted and loaded.

Directv Control opens up with

Opened port com3 - handle=196
COMHS: cd cts dsr ri
After rebooting HR21 I can "power off" and "power on" unit, but that is all. None of the channels change.
In command mode, - no response either

Tried directv.exe in command -nogo
Tried multi****.bat in command -nogo

Been playing for days/hours now. Those that have this working and still able to change channels in command mode with any of the above programs, please let me know your commands.

Seems I need to get this to work in command mode, before I try to implement it in SAGE. I did have Firewire working with TWC, but have switched to Directv.

All the help is appreciated.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:57 AM
Sage User

I don't have the same receiver as you but had the same problem. What worked for me was performing a hard reset of the DTV box while having the USB connected, the PC running and Sage running. After I did this my channels started changing. To perform a hard reset on my box I pressed the red button behind the door where the access card is. Not sure if yours is in the same place. Hope it works for you!

*EDIT*
I noticed you specified what drivers to use ( I also used the monoprice cables and null modem). When I installed mine I let the system search for the drivers and added my CD ROM with the driver disk in it as one of the places to search for drivers. It took a few minutes but I could tell it was scanning the driver disk for the driver. I installed the driver it thought was the right one and it's working for me.

Last edited by dravenone; 05-11-2010 at 11:00 AM.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:30 AM
Sage Icon

Are you going right into a Serial port or USB to USB. I found the cord only goes one way USB to USB.

Are you sure Windows sees the com port you are using?
Old 05-11-2010, 02:42 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWKerr View Post
Are you going right into a Serial port or USB to USB. I found the cord only goes one way USB to USB.

Are you sure Windows sees the com port you are using?
USB cable - adapter - null modem - adapter - USB cable

The COM port is recognized in device manager and can be changed there. When I was playing with the drivers, I would get com4 as my new port. The receiver held the com3 port. As I changed it to com3 It would say com3 in use. I would change it to com3 anyway and I could get those same readings in DirectvControl. Rebooted and it would stay as Com3. Still could not change channels in command mode.

Question to other responder or anybody, Is there a difference to unplugging power to unit and resetting with "red button"?
Each seems to take a good five minutes to get back up.

On the drivers, the only ones that seem to install (all do not work) are the ones from 12/2007 (3.0.1 and 3.2.0). The 2 from Prolific dated 12/2/2009 and 4/8/2010 will not finish the install as they say to contact manufacturer about problem. (I'm thinking that it doesn't have their chip)

Last edited by jerryb33; 05-12-2010 at 10:50 AM.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:08 PM
Sage Expert

Can you change channels with the remote?

I thought HR series (dvrs) weren't usable with sagetv.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:13 AM
Sage User

I don't know the difference between unplugging the DTV box or hitting the red button, but it did make a difference for me. I just set up my DTV this past weekend, so I had done the unplug and plug the power of the box when I moved it to my Sage server and channel changes were not working. I searched the forums and found pushing the red button helped some folks. I pushed the red button on mine and watched on Sage as it restarted, once it finished, my channel changes worked.
Old 05-15-2010, 08:13 AM
Sage Advanced User

Well Progress has been made !!!

I do have control with Directv.exe in command mode. I did reset with the red button (thanks). I also had to put the switch (-box d10100) in the command. Using exemultituner plugin for SAGE ( directv -port COM3 -box D10100 #%channel% ) This did change channels, but not correctly. It would give me the correct channel 2 out 3 times. The incorrect channel would always be channel 2, my local. Call the same channel again and it would go to the right one. Tried a lot of settings in device manager. Slower baud, faster baud, different stop bits, etc. None change the outcome.

Any ideas as I am getting close.
Old 05-15-2010, 08:57 AM
Sage Expert

Will exemultituner work with USB and XP to control multiple DirecTV boxes? When I plug in more than one DirecTV tuner I can only change channels on one (using two USB-serial-null modem-serial-USB cables)
Old 05-15-2010, 09:46 PM
Sage User

Didn't re-read the thread so this may has been mentioned, In Detailed setup\menu, did you change DirecTV Serial Channel Changing Mode to FAST?
Old 05-17-2010, 03:41 AM
Sage Advanced User

For what it is worth, I went through many different kinds of serial to USB adaptors way back when I set my H20's up. I did this hoping to avoid buying the Patersontech adapters,
http://www.patersontech.com/support/TvtConfig.aspx

In the end, I gave up and bought the patersontech devices and wound up putting a 4-port PCI serial board in my WHS to allow connecting to more than 1 DTV through multiple Patersontech connections.

That said, I've started to have some channel changing problems myself lately and have been reading that DTV has been downloading firmware upgrades to the receivers, so I went back to the Patersontech site and read where they recommend turning off the USB reset feature in the Patersontech translators. I just did that for mine as well as upgrade the patersontech translators to v.4.21. Jury is still out but I haven't had to do a hard reset of my DTV receivers in a few days now.

Also, one more thing to mention. For years I had to keep an old copy of the DirecTVSerialControl.dll file to write over any newer file that got installed each time I upgraded SageTV, because I found I would lose DTV serial control at each upgrade until replacing the DTV serial control dll file. It seems that Sage fixed this in V6.6.2 as I no longer need to replace the newer DirecTVSerialControl.dll file with the older one.

And lastly, if you are not experienced with using the Patersontech Serial to USB adapters, it can be a little to confusing. Some notes;
1. To configure the Patersontech adapter, you need to plug the usb end into a PC running the Translator configuration software (downloaded from site). Use the settings recommended at the Patersontech site.
2. To use the adapter (after setup), the USB end of the patersontech adapter needs to be PLUGGED INTO THE DTV RECEIVER.

The above is confusing to the first time user. and many lose hours, days trying to get these devices to work not understanding when and where you plug the USB end of the device. Hope this helps anyone out there.
Server: Sage WHS 7.0.9 - Core 2 Quad 2.66Ghz, 4GB ram, 160GB(system) + 300GB(data) pooled HD, 400GB + 1TB non-pooled HD, MSI 9400GT video, 4-port serial, Windows Home Server 2003, 2-DTV H20 receivers, 2-HD-PVR E1 tuners, 2-Patterson usb translators for DTV usb to serial channel select control
Client 1: Sage Client 7.0.9 - Core 2 Duo E6300, 4GB ram, 400GB HD, Xonar 7.1 Audio, Blu-ray DVD, Asus 9500GT video with HDMI connect to Denon 3310CI and 60" LG Plasma, Windows 7 32bit
Old 05-18-2010, 07:33 AM
Sage Advanced User

directv.exe

In SAGE I'm still not getting a true channel change. On my HR21, it still changes to channel 2 about every once in 4 tries. The channels that I'm trying to change to are in the 200 range. What I see when the channel is sent to the STB is the power lite blinks the number of digits that I'm sending. ch. 207(3 blinks). I noticed when on the error, it only blinks once. Someone had logged the output of directv.exe and it sent the correct info each time.
Is it a Directv STB problem and has anybody solved it?

As for the Paterson adapter, I read a lot of the threads, that are scattered all over this section, on Serial control and many people were having difficulty with that system and went back to USB - USB. So I stuck with USB - USB for now. Not saying I wouldn't purchase it, if all else fails.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:11 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryb33 View Post
... Is it a Directv STB problem and has anybody solved it? ...
I won't claimed to have "solved" anything, but I have had success using the procedure outlined here:

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45209
Old 05-18-2010, 03:03 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchiso View Post
I won't claimed to have "solved" anything, but I have had success using the procedure outlined here:

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45209
Thanks, I do have it printed out, but haven't implemented it yet. I have been slowly "editing" your batch file. I only have one HDPVR and use COM3. Is using the jump to HDPVR and designating each channel change the way around my problem.
Is the ping line to wake up the STB?
Old 05-18-2010, 03:48 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
... I only have one HDPVR and use COM3. Is using the jump to HDPVR and designating each channel change the way around my problem.
I'm not sure what you are asking here. This batch file just sends the commands via the USB port using the "directv.exe" utility.

Quote:
Is the ping line to wake up the STB?
I added this because there are several channels (most notably, sports channels) where blackout screens pop up while the receiver is camped on a channel. The channel change command would not execute until the item was cleared, so I just precede all commands with a "clear" signal...
Old 05-23-2010, 06:58 AM
Sage Advanced User

batch file

My bad, I was looking at the batch file (same name) posted by someone else in your thread.
Using yours Jchiso, I have it changing channels somewhat with your file. I remmed out all but DDS3 - COM3 and the dash stuff (for now).
I still get it going to channel 2 instead of a 3 digit channel. Not as frequent as before, but it still happens. In the *.ir file it has a 4 at the end.
What does this refer to?
Could it be looking for a another digit after I enter 3 digits?
Old 05-23-2010, 12:51 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
... I still get it going to channel 2 instead of a 3 digit channel. Not as frequent as before, but it still happens. In the *.ir file it has a 4 at the end. What does this refer to? Could it be looking for a another digit after I enter 3 digits?

I'm not sure of your problem, but the batch file I posted sends a four-digit channel. This corresponds to the Remote Options settings under Tuner Setup within Sage...
Old 05-24-2010, 06:59 PM
Sage Expert

Not sure if this was already tried, but I use the paterson technologies cable with a DTV box, and the only way I got sage to control the reciever was to turn on the DTV Fast Channel Change option. It is pretty easy to switch with this utility.

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/down...do=file&id=316

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 05-25-2010, 04:00 PM
Sage Expert

Interestingly enough I have 3 STBs, 2 of them (1 H21, and 1 H20) are hooked up with patersontech cables

The other is hooked up via null modem to IOGEAR usb-serial adapater.

(I also use a CyberSerial SIIG 4 port PCI card, which is super cheap and much easier to go with).

Also I always just use the reset button while the pc power is on. . .

Anyway, the one thing I noticed about the patersontech cables is that sometimes they seem to lag when changing channels. . . almost like they have to "wake-up". I still haven't figured out why. . .
i7 3.33 GHz EE Quad Core+HT, 12GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM, ATI HD6870 2GB VRM, 512GB Samsung SSD OS Drive, EVGA SLI x58 Mobo, Win7 Ultimatex64, Gyration MCE Remote, Hauppauge HD-DVR (x3), HD-HR, 2x H21-100, 1x H21-200 DirecTV STBs, 1 SIIG / CyberSerial 4 Port Serial PCI card, 1 PCIex1 Inland/NEC 5 port USB card
Old 06-26-2010, 11:06 AM
Sage Aficionado

I have a dumb question, I just got DirecTV and have the H24 boxes. They have USB ports, can I just plug a USB cable from my PC into the back of the box, or is additional hardware and/or software required?

Sorry for my ignorance, but I can't tell from the searches I've performed :/
Server: AMD Phenom Quad-Core 2.3Ghz, 4GB RAM, ECS A780GM-A MB, 2x HD-PVRs (connected to DirecTV HD STBs using ethernet channel changing), 1x AverMedia A180, OS RAID-1 mirror - 2x250GB 7200rpm SATA, Media RAID-1 mirror - 2x1TB 7200rpm SATA, USB-UIRT (remote control)
Main Client: Sage STX-HD100 Media extender
Second Client: Athlon XP 4000+, 2GB MB PC3200 DDR, Asus A8N5X MB, 512MB PCI-E ATI HD Radeon 3650, 160 GB SATA - hardware mirrored
Old 06-26-2010, 03:24 PM
Sage Icon

You need to buy or build a special cord. A normal USB cord will not work.

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37863&
highlight=directv+swkerr