SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 09-27-2010, 11:19 AM
Sage Advanced User

Giving up Cable. . . Any suggestions?

I'm tired of dealing with my cable company (cablevision in Brooklyn, NY) and looking into alternatives.

Can anyone weigh in on the advantages of Fios, Direct TV and Dish?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 09-27-2010, 11:44 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulprops77 View Post
I'm tired of dealing with my cable company (cablevision in Brooklyn, NY) and looking into alternatives.

Can anyone weigh in on the advantages of Fios, Direct TV and Dish?

Thanks,
Chris
LOL! What a way to start a fight!

Let's see... if you have an HD-PVR or want one, from what I've experienced myself and noticed on the forums, DirecTV plays very nicely with them.

If you want super-fast internet, plus a nice package deal (internet, phone, TV), FiOS is the one to go for.

FWIW, I left Cablevision (NJ) over 10 years ago and have been loving DirecTV ever since.

Please note that I have no actual experience with either FiOS or Dish, however.
Tuners: 2 x HD-PVR (HTTP tuning), 2 x HDHR, USB-UIRT
Software: SageTV 7
Old 09-27-2010, 11:47 AM
SageTVaholic

Everyone is pretty much gonna tell you that whichever one they have is the best, me included.

I actually use Dish Network. It was the cheaper of the two Dish companies for the channels I wanted when we switched from Cable to satellite. Just be careful with whichever one you choose that you pay attention to the rate after the introductory offer is up. I actually priced out the total cost between the two over the 2 year commitment to make sure I got the best deal (at the time Dish was more expensive for the first year, but over the two year contract they were cheaper).

The one thing I love about Dish is that you can set your Set Top Boxes (STB's), to different IR codes so I can control as many Dish boxes as I want with one simple IR Blaster (i.e. USBUIRT). This makes it simpler than most other IR setups. I actually have my 2 STB's sitting on top of each other in the basement.

The nice thing about DirecTV is the ability to control the STB's using a direct wire rather than an IR blaster. I don't have first hand experience with this, but those who use it, love it (I've never had DirecTV).

As for FIOS, can't speak to it. Not an option in my area so I never looked into it.

Edit: One thing you will need to look into is how do you want to record your tv. Not sure how you are doing it now, but if you want HD television from your STB's, you will pretty much have to go with the HDPVR (kinda pricey and a bit more difficult to get setup). Oh and if you aren't already, I would look into how much television you can pull OTA (over the air). You might think you need 4-5 STB's to get all your content, but a lot of us pull our networks down using OTA and that leaves our STB's to only record cable shows which means you need less STB's. I actually downgraded from 3 to 2 because we never needed the third one.
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter

Last edited by paulbeers; 09-27-2010 at 11:49 AM.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:37 PM
SageTVaholic

That's a great point I forgot to mention about DirecTV: serial control of the STB. I have never missed a show due to a faulty channel change.

Also, as far as price goes, my bill has rarely increased over the years. Each time it has happened, it was after or right before an influx of new channels, which really made it easy to swallow. Plus, it wasn't much of an increase, anyway. Contrast that with the annual or even more frequent increases from Cablevision. I actually went a couple of years without an increase on DirecTV, but that may very well have been due to my programming package at the time.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:46 PM
Sage Advanced User

For recording, I use and HD-PVR and a PVR-2250 for clear qam.

The internet deal with FIOS is pretty attractive.

I guess if I went with Dish or DirectTV I would hang onto cablevision for my internet service.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:47 PM
Sage Expert

My directv bill is way to high but I've got several boxes and several adults in the house each with their own directv HD DVR box.

I'd be outvoted if I tried to get rid of it, but honestly all I really need is my locals in high quality.

The only reason I keep it at all is because of my son and his addiction to all things NICK & Disney.
Old 09-27-2010, 01:26 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:

I guess if I went with Dish or DirectTV I would hang onto cablevision for my internet service.
I did the same thing. First, I kept Cablevision for internet (note that it goes up by ~$5 when you drop their cable package). Then, just recently, we got rid of the land line and we just have cell phones because we just weren't using the land line... EVER. That got rid of Verizon. So, the triple packages no longer make any sense for us, which makes shopping both easier and difficult.
Old 09-27-2010, 02:20 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:

I don't know about cablevision, but my cable provider, if you have cable broadband internet, you can still get your locals in HD via ClearQAM (unfortunately there's a couple still missing such as the local 24 hour weather channels so I still use OTA for some). That might make things easier on you as well, but someone will need to state whether that is true for Cable Vision as well.
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 09-28-2010, 06:53 AM
Sage Advanced User

I got tired of my cable company as well (Comcast). They have all these great deals for new customers but nothing for loyal customers of 5 years.

I took a look at what we watched and about 90% were all on the local channels which I get OTA. The few shows that we can't get via OTA we can get via Playon, and Hulu. Throw in Netflix and you end up with a nice list of content to watch. For us it was not worth paying $80+ for only 5 channels that we watch on cable.

I would have dropped the Internet from Comcast as well, but Qwest cannot seem to compete with them on speed.

Thanks,
Protoman
Old 09-28-2010, 08:12 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybrew View Post
My directv bill is way to high but I've got several boxes and several adults in the house each with their own directv HD DVR box.

I'd be outvoted if I tried to get rid of it, but honestly all I really need is my locals in high quality.

The only reason I keep it at all is because of my son and his addiction to all things NICK & Disney.
I would agree about not needing anything but locals. I never would have thought there would be 5 shows on at the same time that either me or my wife wanted to record. My 3 tuners have always been enough until this year. However, I miss espn, fsn and the golf channel. Directv has some really good deals going on right now. I plan on getting it installed early next month.
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 09-28-2010, 01:27 PM

FIOS is the way to go. I haven't had anty problems with it and its quick and speedy. Verizon has had good coustmer service which is huge for me.
Old 09-28-2010, 02:15 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoman View Post
I got tired of my cable company as well (Comcast). They have all these great deals for new customers but nothing for loyal customers of 5 years.

I took a look at what we watched and about 90% were all on the local channels which I get OTA. The few shows that we can't get via OTA we can get via Playon, and Hulu. Throw in Netflix and you end up with a nice list of content to watch. For us it was not worth paying $80+ for only 5 channels that we watch on cable.

I would have dropped the Internet from Comcast as well, but Qwest cannot seem to compete with them on speed.

Thanks,
Protoman
I was really close to going with this option. When I called up comcast to cancel they gave me a very good deal for 6 months. I will be calling to cancel when that period is up.
1 HDHomeRun
4TB Storage, GB Network
2 MVPs, 1 HD100 & 1 HD300
Old 09-28-2010, 02:18 PM
Sage Aficionado

As I see it, you only have one real choice. You can either buy your TV from a wire-line provider (I'm lumping DirecTV and Dish in this group), or you can abandon them for a pure OTA/Internet (Hulu, Netflix, etc.) play.

No matter which of the wire-line providers you choose, you will be paying a lot of money for a lot of stuff you will never use or need. As far as service/quality, you can find people on both the love it and hate it sides for any provider. There's no such thing as a "Best". Just a "Doesn't suck as bad as the others for me", and that's a very regional issue.

While the pure internet experience isn't there yet in terms of convenience and depth of service, it's improving. But everyone has their own individual needs, and has to weigh the options for themselves. Today's Roku/Hulu announcement certainly moves things in the right direction.

But don't get fooled into thinking that by switching from Cablevision to DirecTV/FIOS/whatever you will be solving your problems. They are all just slightly different reflections of the same beast.

Last edited by src666; 09-28-2010 at 02:46 PM.
Old 09-28-2010, 02:45 PM
SageTVaholic

It's annoying how these service providers give the world to new subscribers but as soon as that first year is up the price goes up and never goes down unless you can finesse some kind of a discount out of them. And the prices rarely, if ever, go down. They always seem to be in a never ending spiral up. Kind of sucks.

If we were to change away from Cox Cable it would pretty much be a lateral move. We wouldn't really gain much, if anything more, than I get with cable tv by going with Dish or DirecTV. And after the first year the price isn't that much less than we're currently paying for just the tv service itself.

Going away from cable isn't really a choice either as the shows we watch aren't all available for streaming. And the wife likes to channel surf so having such a limited availability of live programming wouldn't really be an option.

So the status quo remains.
Old 09-28-2010, 03:49 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taddeusz View Post
It's annoying how these service providers give the world to new subscribers but as soon as that first year is up the price goes up and never goes down unless you can finesse some kind of a discount out of them.
I know that's common but it is not universal. After expiration of both my first (24 month) and second (12 month) agreement periods, Verizon FIOS sent me a notice describing the current plans that they were offering. I checked online and the plans/pricing were identical to what they were offering new subscribers and, in both instances, I was able to cut costs by agreeing to one of these plans for an addition 12-month period.

In the past 10 years, I've had 3 providers, Cablevision, Dish Network, and Verizon FIOS and Verizon's customer service has clearly been superior to the other two. However, these are big companies and I'm sure personnel/quality of service varies both within and among companies depending upon your location.
Old 09-28-2010, 04:01 PM
SageTVaholic

I suppose the selection of tv providers in Oklahoma City leaves a bit to be desired. Our choices are OTA or Cox Cable and satellite. If you live in certain areas you may be able to get U-Verse but AT&T doesn't have it everywhere in the city. I'm actually kind of wary of U-Verse. Since it's basically a more advanced version of DSL. From what I've heard, due to the bandwidth limitations, video quality just isn't there compared to the alternatives. Of course most people aren't going to notice. Most of the time the wife and kid can't tell the difference or don't care about the difference between SD and HD. To them HD mainly means that it fits the TV. They don't really derive any pleasure from watching something in HD vs. SD.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:55 PM
Sage Icon

I switch between cable, Dish Network, and DirecTV every couple of years. I use a USB-UIRT for channel switching to allow me the flexibility to switch between the providers. Go for the best deal, including staying with your current provider. Ask to speak to the 'customer retention' department. They will give you a price break or throw in some programming. It might not be enough to stay with your provider. They won't offer you a better deal unless you tell them you are going to switch to another service provider.

Do not sign up for automatic payment where the service provider controls the transaction. If you have an automatic payment, set it up so the provider gets paid without controlling the transactions. Otherwise, the provider may overcharge you.

If you can receive OTA, setup tuners for the OTA channels. I have found this reduces the number of set top boxes needed. Also, the OTA channels will still record during a satellite 'rain fade' event or a cable outage. You will also be able to receive weather information during a storm from OTA when satellite TV cannot receive any signals.

Another alternative is to drop cable or satellite and just use OTA, Playon, and Netflix if you can get by without most of the traditional 'cable' channels.

Dave
SageTV: LIAN LI PC-K58, Gigabyte GA-EX580UD5, i-7 950 3.06 gig quad LGA 1366 CPU, Zalman CNPS9700 CPU cooler 1366 bracket, Memory 24 gigs GB, PNY NVIDIA GeoForce 9800 GT 1024 MB, Corsair 750w PSU, Samsung 500GB SSD boot, 3 SSD recording drives
Capture cards: 2 - HDHR Primes - Comcast Xfinity CableTV
Extenders: 1-HD-300, 2-HD-200
Software: Windows 7 Pro X64, Ghost 15, VideoReDo TVSuite 4 h.264, Playon (Netflix), OpenDCT
UnRAID File Server 4.7 Pro: Lian-Li PC-G70B, MBD-X8SIL-F-O, i3-540, 16 TB
Old 09-29-2010, 06:39 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taddeusz View Post
I suppose the selection of tv providers in Oklahoma City leaves a bit to be desired.
I'm sorry to hear that. Credible competition really helps.

I'm sure the reason Verizon sends me information on their latest plans and prices and are anxious to resign me to another 12-month agreement as soon as my previous agreement expires is because, where I live, they are in constant competition with Cablevision for customers. Similarly, local Cablevision service improved tremendously (e.g. new channels, better pricing) once they had to start competing with Verizon for customers.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:59 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryB View Post
I'm sorry to hear that. Credible competition really helps.

I'm sure the reason Verizon sends me information on their latest plans and prices and are anxious to resign me to another 12-month agreement as soon as my previous agreement expires is because, where I live, they are in constant competition with Cablevision for customers. Similarly, local Cablevision service improved tremendously (e.g. new channels, better pricing) once they had to start competing with Verizon for customers.
AFAIK, there's no way for a competitor to come into the market because Cox owns all the cables. And there are no must carry rules for cable TV.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:15 AM
Sage Expert

From what I've read on various internet forums, FIOS has the best picture quality and the fastest residential internet speeds, and nearly every channel out there. If you can get it, go for it. Unfortunately FIOS service is only available in a small part of the country. The rest of us are stuck with 1 cable provider and a choice of DirecTV and Dish Network. I wish I could get it, however I live in QWEST's "territory" who have barely rolled out any fiber to the home service.

I've been with Dish Network for about 16 months now. I don't have it integrated with my SageTV system as of yet. I essentially use the service for watching live sports. I'm nearly certain to drop them once my contract expires for 3 reasons:

1) Their HD picture quality leaves a LOT to be desired. I'd generally rather wait for TV shows to come out on Bluray or even DVD than watch them on DISH. Of course some of that has to do with the annoying snipes and banner ads on various channels which isn't Dish's fault. They re-compress the feeds coming from the networks. Sometimes its worse than others, like when theres a bunch of basketball or baseball games on the regional sports networks, which they only carry in HD during live games. This means they squeeze more bandwidth from other channels. Whats even worse is they waste bandwidth on about two dozen HD pay per view channels, and several (mostly Viacom) channels, that virtually never have anything worthwhile, or even in HD on them, ie CMT, and Logo, just so they can say their channel count is higher than competitors.

2) They're very deceptive on their programming packages. The HD only packages only carry certain channels available in the equivalent SD+ HD packages. IE Fox News and FX aren't available even on Dish America Gold... but they don't tell you that! Also their HD for Life is a gimmick. It used to be you got the HD platinum package for free with HD (which cost $10). Now HD is free but HD platinum cost $10. The "HD Platinum" package contains some very worthwhile channels you'll probably want.

3) They're in a contract dispute with Disney. They dropped ESPN News in HD which I really liked during college football season, it does live look ins to various games like NFL-Redzone. They also STILL don't have ESPN U in HD, and they dropped Disney and ABC Family in HD.

Last edited by lobosrul; 09-29-2010 at 10:49 AM.