SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Closed Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 03:03 PM
Sage Advanced User

oh this is great.
I was literally like a week from buying the v7 upgrade and now this.

Don't know about anyone else but I don't see this google buy out as a good thing. I hope I'm wrong and I hope at least the guides keep working so my v6 can trundle along happily.
Setup #7.6 Hyper-V (again!)
Hardware: Comcast Basic Digital Cable, (1) HDHR3-CC 20170815 firmware, 36GB "system" drive, 2TB laptop drives, a buttload of archive drives, HP DL380G6 2x X5660 processors (4 cores to VM), 4GB ram
Software: Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64, SageTV v9.1.2.662, Java v1.8.0_131, STV 2017052101, HD300 extenders
Old 06-21-2011, 11:29 PM
Sage User

I have emailed support using the form linked from http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56157 since it says support is now open and available. We'll see what I get back about completing my upgrade to version 7 from my now-expired (though still running as it hasn't crashed) trial.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:42 AM
Sage Aficionado

This blows.

Google will totally f--- up SageTV.

I JUST bought a Ceton card to upgrade my hookup, and am just waiting for the cable card to arrive. Now I can't buy upgrades for my license?!?!?! Seriously?? Will the Ceton work with SageTV 6.6??

SageTV has been the ONLY decent product out there, and now it's over.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:29 PM
Sage User

I'm with you guys. I came here today to upgrade to V7 (I've been around since at least 4 and I think I had v3 trial while I was doing my research) and find this horse manure. I've been in the 'net industry long enough to know that most likely Google is never going to release anything close to SageTV from this point on. Personally, if I could purchase my v7 upgrade I would be content and would even consider other Google products if they did that "right". I would guarantee with 99% certainty they bought it to close a GoogleTV competitor down and MAYBE take a little bit of the technology out of it. As it is right now, I see Google as nothing other than the latest version of Microsoft. The only difference is Microsoft releases software that isn't a beta every few years.

I've already started looking at alternatives as the "at least one year" for EPG updates is probably ONLY because they are being contractually obligated to do so from the purchase. Maybe there will be a "fix" that will let us put our own account in later, maybe not. I wouldn't hold my breath.

Either way, this was poorly handled... seriously. It's not like you didn't have the email addresses of every customer already or anything. Some (probably most) would have purchased the upgrade before the sale if we had any kind of "warning".
Old 06-22-2011, 04:38 PM
Sage Advanced User

the infamouse Gunnery Sergeant Hartman quote from Full Metal Jacket comes to mind describing all this.

Ozy is right on. if I'd gotten an email saying I had only a couple hours to buy upgrade licenses or hardware you bet your sweet a$$ i'd have been forking over $$$ to get 7 and possibly some HD300's... even though i still don't own an HDTV I've literally thought I'd have SageTV running in some capacity for easily the next DECADE it's been so near-perfect. my kid is sitting watching one of his favorite shows (Word World) right now off the PVR. how long will this last?
Setup #7.6 Hyper-V (again!)
Hardware: Comcast Basic Digital Cable, (1) HDHR3-CC 20170815 firmware, 36GB "system" drive, 2TB laptop drives, a buttload of archive drives, HP DL380G6 2x X5660 processors (4 cores to VM), 4GB ram
Software: Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64, SageTV v9.1.2.662, Java v1.8.0_131, STV 2017052101, HD300 extenders
Old 06-22-2011, 04:38 PM
Sage Aficionado

until this happened we were the "Bespin" of the DVR world...

Lando
"We are a small operation and have managed to stay under the empire's notice, while still remaining profitable." (from memory so probably not exact).

I also find the quote about how Lando recently completed a deal that will allow the operation to continue very appicable. And we ALL know how that turned out.

How can anyone think this is a good thing? Welcome to DRM hell people. Worse, they will take the Sage product, skin it and put it "in the cloud" where it will serve up only content they have on their servers (think Netflix, or youtube, thulu... on steroids).

Also, welcome monthly fees similar to Netflix.

I am going to keep my eye out for "Narflex TV" which might look suprisingly similar (but not so similar that he will get sued) to SageTV in about a year or so from now.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:48 PM
Sage Aficionado

The only possible good I could see is that Google for some reason decides that they don't want to rip the components out of SageTV and throw the rest into the trash, but rather they keep it going and get cable labs certification for native M Card support in SageTV.

Sage would be a great front end for Google TV, but as long as they don't kill off everything else the world will still be a happy place.

Commence not holding my breath.
Old 06-22-2011, 05:01 PM
Sage Advanced User

Are there any serious alternatives really? I came from BeyondTV, it was once great but now is totally inadequate for a home setup, I've tried MediaPortal but it was not seeming very stable although I think they did a major rewrite a couple years ago, I also had a TiVo for a while but it's too much of a closed and inflexible system, not to mention you're tied to their hardware and if it breaks you have no choice but to pay them. Myth is Linux only and although I'm a geek, I do not have enough free time to learn and manage all that. MCE never seemed to really get to a full featured version, at least not on the level of Sage.

Sage has been such a perfect system, my complaints were so minor. I really hope they keep it going but the "maximum of one year" and "no comment" lines really don't give me much hope. I really hope I'm wrong. I have had money for the V7 upgrade put aside since before they released it, I was just waiting to have a free Sunday to back everything up and do the upgrade.

:-(
Old 06-22-2011, 05:08 PM
Sage Icon

If $600+ for a 3-tuner DVR doesn't make you gasp, there is xxxx.
Old 06-22-2011, 05:13 PM
Sage User

They could, but I highly doubt they would, open source it. That would actually be a cool thing.

I certainly hope to hear about any spin off. I REALLY don't want to switch to MythTV. I like my Sage... damnit!

Really it hinges mostly on the EPG data and the ability to get (my) hands on v7 or not. I wouldn't mind if I had to pay for my own EPG updates going forward from the 1 year, I just don't like being forced out of my own bought and paid for tools.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:16 PM
Sage Advanced User

Why is everyone against WMC so much. I am kind of new to all this but it seems to be close to sagetv.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:31 PM
Sage Aficionado

Totally sucks compared to SageTV. The cross platform access, server, to PC to TV totally makes it. I haven't looked lately, but media center had nothing that coudl touch it.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:13 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by APillowOfClouds View Post
Are there any serious alternatives really? I came from BeyondTV, it was once great but now is totally inadequate for a home setup, I've tried MediaPortal but it was not seeming very stable although I think they did a major rewrite a couple years ago, I also had a TiVo for a while but it's too much of a closed and inflexible system, not to mention you're tied to their hardware and if it breaks you have no choice but to pay them. Myth is Linux only and although I'm a geek, I do not have enough free time to learn and manage all that. MCE never seemed to really get to a full featured version, at least not on the level of Sage.

Sage has been such a perfect system, my complaints were so minor. I really hope they keep it going but the "maximum of one year" and "no comment" lines really don't give me much hope. I really hope I'm wrong. I have had money for the V7 upgrade put aside since before they released it, I was just waiting to have a free Sunday to back everything up and do the upgrade.

:-(
It's not software. It's time for a little Moxi.... Take a look at Moxi's solution, while it requires a DLNA server to access your other content it can do it. You can take your HTPC and turn it into a DLNA server.

The Moxi is a 3 tuner cablecard solution it has network attached remote Moxi Mate units. There is no monthly charge for using the Moxi.

This does not help Satellite TV owners, it's obviously cable only. It's likely where I'm heading - unfortunately.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:46 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyle View Post
It's not software. It's time for a little Moxi.... Take a look at Moxi's solution, while it requires a DLNA server to access your other content it can do it. You can take your HTPC and turn it into a DLNA server.

The Moxi is a 3 tuner cablecard solution it has network attached remote Moxi Mate units. There is no monthly charge for using the Moxi.

This does not help Satellite TV owners, it's obviously cable only. It's likely where I'm heading - unfortunately.
I don't see this as better than SageTV v7.1.9. why move to an inferior product?

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 06-22-2011, 08:07 PM
Sage Aficionado

I agree, now who's gonna email me their 7.19 license as a birthday gift?
Old 06-22-2011, 09:16 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickBurke View Post
I'm sure Narflex is already using the google solution, so you can probably just use his...

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 06-22-2011, 09:57 PM
Sage User

Quote:
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
I'm sure Narflex is already using the google solution, so you can probably just use his...
Yeah? Do tell!
Old 06-22-2011, 10:58 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
This blows.

Google will totally f--- up SageTV.

I JUST bought a Ceton card to upgrade my hookup, and am just waiting for the cable card to arrive. Now I can't buy upgrades for my license?!?!?! Seriously?? Will the Ceton work with SageTV 6.6??

SageTV has been the ONLY decent product out there, and now it's over.
+1

Well put. See my post in the "What to do?" thread in this sub-forum for my staunch message to google, via support request, support email, and dev-email. Yes, I may come off as an ass, and probably do. But I won't applogoize for it. I paid with the expectation of being able to add extenders (as in buy 1 or 2 initially which I did, and when I went back to buy the rest (I didn't buy them all at once because I was having my doubts that something this tiny in physical size, and relatively inexpensive when compared to something like a Mini-ITX client + client license), could actually accomplish all it claimed (Full DTS-MA, 1080p, and the same experience as being on the PC running the media center software).
Old 06-22-2011, 11:48 PM
Sage Expert

If you don't own it, it will change!

TV: Samsung UN46D8000
Server: Intel Core i3 540, 4G RAM, Matrox G450, 70GB EXT3 encrypted software RAID1 system drive, 1TB XFS tv recording drive, 2TB EXT3 encrypted data drive mirror across 2 machines, 2TB EXT3 encrypted media drive mirror across 2 machines, CentOS 6 64 bit, Experimenting with DNLA servers
1Gb wired network
Disconnected after G day[HD 100 Media Extender, Placeshifter 7.x, SageTV 7.x, HDHomeRun]
Old 06-23-2011, 03:46 AM
Sage User

I've put a half dozen years into SageTV and easily that many thousands of dollars between HTPC upgrades, software, storage, and other hardware.

It's all built around SageTV.
Closed Thread

Tags
client license