SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations > SageMC Custom Interface

Notices

SageMC Custom Interface This forum is for discussing the user-created SageMC custom interface for SageTV.

Old 06-24-2009, 03:45 PM
Sage Advanced User

Back to back recordings problem

Just curious how other people get around this problem I'm having.

Sage is set to record a series. But the series is running two different episodes back to back: eg. 7:00-7:30 and 7:30-8:00 on the same channel. Ideally Sage would just make a single recording of 1 hour, however it doesn't do that. I stops recording at 7:30 and starts a new recording right away. However it will just about always clip the first few seconds off of the second episode.

I know that instead of setting up a series I could just do a manual, scheduled 1hr recording every week at that time period. However the series doesn't always run two episodes back to back - it's seemingly a random thing. PBS has done this to kick off rerunning an old series - episode 1&2 for the first week only, for example. Or trying to generate interest in reruns of the past season of The Office for a couple weeks.

I could tailor the series settings to end recording a minute early I suppose, but sometimes there is a risk of cutting off the final few seconds of the episode...

Any ideas?

RLW
Old 06-24-2009, 03:51 PM
SageTVaholic

If you have multiple tuners available, you can add a couple minutes of padding to the beginning and end and disable the option to remove padding on back-to-back favorites.

Aloha,
Mike
Old 06-24-2009, 03:53 PM
Sage Advanced User

Pretty sharp idea Mike. Unfortuantely I don't have a second tuner though.

Thanks, good thought for the future.

RLW
Old 06-24-2009, 03:54 PM
Sage Aficionado

If you have two tuners you could pad a minute to the end of the recording. This would give you a 1 minute overlap between episodes.

EDIT: Oops.....too slow.
Client: Fire TV Stick 4K
Old 06-24-2009, 04:08 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phydeaux View Post
Pretty sharp idea Mike. Unfortuantely I don't have a second tuner though.

Thanks, good thought for the future.

RLW
Sounds like a good excuse to go shopping!

Assuming you're on cable, PBS is usually one of the channels that cable companies transmit in the clear (along with your other locals) and probably in HD. You can pick up an HDHomerun for around $150 and it will give you 2 additional digital tuners for those unencrypted channels.

Aloha,
Mike
Old 06-24-2009, 05:37 PM
Sage Expert

You need a 2nd tuner to pad on the same channel? Sage can't use the same tuner and put the overlapping minute in both files?
Old 06-24-2009, 06:10 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedml View Post
You need a 2nd tuner to pad on the same channel? Sage can't use the same tuner and put the overlapping minute in both files?
No. Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way. You need two tuners.

Aloha,
Mike
Old 06-24-2009, 07:36 PM
SageTVaholic

If this is a rare special case, I'd go ahead and make the first show a manual recording, and add a 30 minute stop pad to it. This way it will record uninterrupted, on a single tuner, and show up as one single recording in the guide.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 06-25-2009, 10:31 AM
Sage Advanced User

I appreciate all the suggestions folks. Sounds like the easiest is to play around with padding. The idea of a second tuner is interesting, but brings it's own challenges. And frankly I don't record enough volume to really make use of more than one tuner. It's rare that I see a recording conflict - I just don't record enough.

Mike, no I don't have cable. I'm out the boonies of Western Canada, an hour outside of the nearest cable provider. No Internet either (well, unless you count dial-up). I'm using a satelite STB with a R5000 hardwired in. Haven't played around with FTA because I'm told there is roughly zero worthwhile content available in our province.

Thanks, all!

RLW