SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:50 AM

Need Help Getting Started

I could use some hand holding here. I'm not use to poring through forums.

I am committed to purchasing Sage but don't know what I need. I will be using the system in a bedroom with one HD capable teevee with a newer Directv box, non-HD. My home theater downstairs has Directv HD DVR.
I have a PC I can use. I would have to add a wireless card. There is no LAN drop in the room.

I sure would appreciate someone taking time to help me!
Old 04-21-2009, 11:00 AM
Sage Icon

You need to clarify the following:

How many TVs/projectors/etc. do you want on the system?

Do you have/want any PCs with the ability to watch TV on them?

Do you expect to have need for HD in the future (are any TVs HD)?

How many shows would you ever need to record simultaneously (counting any shows being watched as "being recorded" as well)? In other words, if two people would be watching two different TVs simultaneously and there might be another show that airs at the same time, that you want to record, then the answer would be three.

What sources do you need available for any tuners? You mention SD DirecTV... would you ever have two shows that were sat-only (i.e., not local network) that you would want to record at the same time? Three shows? Four shows? Or perhaps two sat-only shows and one network show? Next question, are you in a location where you could get local antenna reception? Often people here think they need three DirecTV boxes (and the Sage equipment to go with that) when the most "busy" night they have is recording one show off of, say, SciFi network, and two simultaneous shows on Fox and CBS. So they really only need one DirecTV box, and could have two OTA (antenna) tuners to get the local broadcast of Fox and CBS. This would save lots of $$ (and even more set-up/maintenance headaches).

If you can respond to these questions, it will be pretty easy to tell you what to buy.
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:04 AM

Only one TV. It is HD capable. Would like to record two channels, watching one of them.
We can't get off air television in my location. My Directv market also doesn't include locals - it sucks to be me.
So I'm only talking about two DTV channels.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:06 AM

Just curious, is there a way to access the Directv DVR in my living room from another room. Just wanted to know if that was possible - or is it even harder than what I've proposed?
Old 04-21-2009, 11:34 AM
Sage Expert

The first issue is, you have to be able and willing to run network cable. Wireless doesn't work well enough yet.

Once you've done that, if you're keeping DirecTV you put the PC next to it. Then you can watch anything anywhere.

Don't worry how many TVs are HD now or in the future. Buy HD hardware. Don't even think about the Hauppauge MVP for this system.

You'll have to add a hard disk to your PC -- make sure you format it with 64k clusters.

That's my 'sage' advice...
Old 04-21-2009, 11:39 AM
Sage Expert

Here's my suggested topology, not knowing anything about your physical layout.

Put the PC and both DirecTV units in the same room (office?). Connect the PC to the internet (if it isn't already) and then run network cable to the other rooms where you will have an HD-200 Extender for each TV. If you don't have enough ports available on your router you can add a switch.
Old 04-21-2009, 01:35 PM
Sage Icon

You will also need either two HD-PVRs (which take component out from your DirecTV box, and connect to the server PC via USB), which would make you future-proof with regards to HD, or else two tuner cards (or a dual-tuner card) (connection from your DirecTV boxes to each tuner input, via component, S-video, composite, whatever), and some method of changing the channel on the DirecTV box from the PC (IR blaster or USB-UIRT). You can keep your DirecTV DVR but you will not be using it as a DVR, just as a box to unencrypt the DirecTV signal. As freedml said, the boxes will just sit at your PC and be controlled by it - you will control the system with your HD Extender at the TV set.

See attached sketch with your options.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OPTIONS.JPG (50.7 KB, 221 views)
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:20 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedml View Post
Here's my suggested topology, not knowing anything about your physical layout.

Put the PC and both DirecTV units in the same room (office?). Connect the PC to the internet (if it isn't already) and then run network cable to the other rooms where you will have an HD-200 Extender for each TV. If you don't have enough ports available on your router you can add a switch.

What will the OP's DirecTV DVR interface look like from a remote TV with the extender? Will he be able to see the DirecTV guide, season passes, etc?
Thanks
Old 04-22-2009, 07:00 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuMan321 View Post
What will the OP's DirecTV DVR interface look like from a remote TV with the extender? Will he be able to see the DirecTV guide, season passes, etc?
Thanks
You will not see any of the DVR's menus or guides - you will use SageTV's. You would put the DVR/Tivo on "live" TV and leave it there, and then connect it to your tuner card or HD-PVR (as described above), and use one of the methods of channel changing described above (IR Blaster, etc.). You would not use the DVR/Tivo box remote control any longer, or any of the box's features. All of the "season passes" (called "Favorites" in SageTV) would be done in SageTV. You also would want to turn off the on-screen info that pops up when you change channels, as you would see SageTV's overlayed on top of the box's.

It honestly would be best to just replace it with a standard box (especially if you are paying extra monthly to have the DVR/Tivo), but it could work if you needed it to.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:37 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenanjay View Post
I could use some hand holding here. I'm not use to poring through forums.

I am committed to purchasing Sage but don't know what I need. I will be using the system in a bedroom with one HD capable teevee with a newer Directv box, non-HD. My home theater downstairs has Directv HD DVR.
I have a PC I can use. I would have to add a wireless card. There is no LAN drop in the room.

I sure would appreciate someone taking time to help me!
Do you get your internet from High Speed Cable or DSL?

If you get your internet from high speed cable, the chances are high that you have access to your local channels in HD from the cable line. The method of broadcast is known as ClearQAM. If you do have high speed internet through your cable company, there could be a quick way for you to check if you can recieve ClearQAM channels. What cable company do you have (if you have cable internet) and what is the make and model of your HDTV set?
1x STX-HD100
3x STP-HD200
@cliftpompee