SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations > SageMC Custom Interface

Notices

SageMC Custom Interface This forum is for discussing the user-created SageMC custom interface for SageTV.

Old 04-10-2008, 07:20 PM
SageTVaholic

SageMC Feature Requests - Unofficial

Have a feature or change that you would like to see in the SageMC STV add-on? The purpose of this thread is to gather all of those feature requests in one place.

I'll manage the list with features that have been requested and not yet implemented and a separate section in this same post with those previously requested and already implemented. No guarantees that these will be answered or addressed immediately, but it's a good place to help the developers of SageMC (currently flachbar and meinmaui) manage the requests as they continue to enhance and develop the excellent SageMC application.

REQUESTED FEATURES in no particular order:
  • Easy way to load icon & graphic sets. Not sure how this should be implemented but I think Meedios has a good method as an example.
  • Ability for genre view to deal with multi-disc dvds like the file view does. See this post for details.
  • Photos - a way to save and/or load photo sets (collections of photo albums beyond folders organization). I'm honestly not sure if this would require a SageTV change first - I'll remove this one if that is the case.
  • Music - ??? I'm thinking which can be dangerous....
  • Customization of Menus - I'm too amazed with what you've already added to know what more to ask for here at the moment. Stay tuned as I'm sure there's something.
  • A way to donate to the developers. I'm all for free and I love free. Still, I'd like to send beer money to those who toil over the awesome add-ons that I use daily that enhance SageTV beyond it's standard self. It doesn't need to be a overly prominent thing, but I'd just like to give my thanks.
  • 06/01/08 Fix the SageMC music by-song page bug
  • 06/01/08 For videos and music pages, Add the following option: Use the sorted title field field so that the videos would drop the "The" and "A" when placing the DVDs in order.
  • 06/01/08 Videos, add the ability to do a mass IMDB (or other method) search for all videos that don't have metadata yet.
  • 06/08/08 Last.fm scrobble music capability
  • 07/24/08 Port the "SageWMP CD/DRM music player" to SageMC so we can play CD's (not ripped) and DRM protected WMA files from within the SageMC UI
  • 07/26/08 Port the Automatic Aspect Ratio Switcher from this plugin to SageMC
  • 07/26/08 Ability to hide or password protect certain video folders
  • 07/28/08 Caller ID - doesn't always work
  • 08/24/08 Music Browsing Improvement: Ability to play track from album, browse other albums while playing & go back to the track listing for the album that's currently playing. see this post for more info
  • 08/25/08 MyMovies type of DVD management solution.
  • 08/25/08 Auto-rotate pictures based on Exif data
  • 08/24/08 Dynamic folders/categories in My Videos. Not sure how possible this is but if we can create a folder that groups items by date added, or by actor, or by director link
  • 08/25/08 Web Browser engine
  • 08/25/08 Ability to use weather data from other sites so that users with Personal Weather stations near to their homes could use that data.. ie, weatherforyou.com and wunderground.com.
  • 08/25/08 Ability to password protect individual recordings and DVD's.. currently the parental controls don't 'seem' to allow me to block specific episodes, shows and/or ripped DVD titles.
  • 09/18/08 Photo Slideshow Transitions for extenders
  • 09/18/08 Optionally display and navigate music by folder name instead of ID3 tag link
  • 09/19/08 Sort recorded shows by season / episode number (would need to get that info from somewhere of course)
  • 09/21/08 UI support for Metdata updater by stuckless then add in other TV/Movie data sources
  • 09/24/08 Have the moon on the main title screen show the correct phase.
  • 09/24/08 Weather data could have options for 'east coast, west coast, midwest' or some other type of geographical breakdown for the maps
  • 10/09/08 Optionally display complete path for recordings and imported videos like the default UI does.
  • 10/15/08 Add a movie to the scheduler without telling it which specific airing I want to record
  • 10/15/08 Add the "play all" feature as is in the stock STV
  • 10/29/08 Multi-channel favorites
  • 12/22/08 Update the SageMC-built-in comskip monitor to the most recent version
  • 12/22/08 Build in the various mini-guide add-ons to SageMC as options ootb.
  • 12/22/08 New optional Photo View VMC-style. Show nothing on the screen except for a wall of photos (customizable by number of columns/rows of photos) and navigate the photos with your remote. Take that a step farther and add the ability to do a slideshow where that wall changes one or more photos at a time. So for example, you see 12 photos on the screen, after 5 seconds two random photos are replaced with two new ones, and then two other photos are replaced on-and-on.
  • 12/28/08 Need to Update the DVDPro2Sage.Class file that installs with SageMC to latest version
  • 12/28/08 In the default STV, when you need to browse for a file, if you traverse up all the way to the root of My computer basically, there is also a Network item listed where you can browse files under your workgroup and select the file you need. It would be nice to have all the browse dialogs updated to have this.
  • 12/28/08 Port over, or a way to tie in the Browse Media Files feature of the default STV (including Network browsing). I have a ton of Anime, but I don't want to take the time to categorize it, etc to be imported into the main Media Library and clutter things up, so just being able to browse my network and watch video files without having them be in an import folder would be nice.
  • 12/28/08 Ability to customize sub menus of My Menu independent of my Menu (link)
  • 12/30/08 Scale the coverimage to a reasonable size in the playback screen. This will allow us to store higher resolution DVD covers while not looking so strange when you do something to show the top "info" bar in the playback screen.
  • 01/01/09 Incorporate the TV Info Screen STVi into SageMC - make it switchable between default screen and TV Info Screen without needing to import the STVi
  • 01/01/09 Incorporate the Movie Info Screen STVi into SageMC - make it switchable between default screen and TV Info Screen without needing to import the STVi
  • 01/01/09 Incorporate the "auto-update of STVi's for SageMC like the default STV has now. i.e.: stock STV lets you define which "plugins" you want included, and the STV is automatically updated when the main one changes.
  • 01/03/09 Fix the popup notification of new drive detected bug described in this thread and fixed with this STVi
  • 01/03/09 Remove "My" from the beginning of each menu item title and from the submenu title graphics. So instead of "My Videos" make it "Videos" etc.

FEATURES IMPLEMENTED AND/OR REQUESTS RESOLVED:
  • RESOLVED 6.3.9 Videos - Ability to sort by date added and/or DVD release date. Don't know if this would work for non-dvdprofiler databases, but it would be HUGE (I really want this ) for those of us who have dvdprofiler. Imagine a crazy guy (me for instance) who has over 600 movies on his server and adds one or two new movies. Now wife and/or kids want want to browse by the most recent added - if we could use the collection number (and even dvd release) date to sort by this would be awesome.
  • RESOLVED 6.3.8 Videos: Add alphabet "search" to the genre view. For instance, if you go to the "files system" view you can also push right on your remote and jump alphabetically to any section of your DVD library. It would be nice to add this same functionality to each genre so when I view all drama genre titles I could push right on my remote and jump to all titles under "m". Only helpful for those of us with larger movie libraries, but makes sense to have it work the same way in genre as in file system views.
  • RESOLVED 6.3.8 Online Videos - "Custom Online Videos" support like the default SageTV STV has now. I know this is already on your radar, but listing it for sake of being complete.
  • RESOLVED Search - A way to search using t9 instead of the default search input(UPDATE: I figured out that you can already do this by hitting "CTRL-S")
  • RESOLVED: Videos - Stop requiring the video_ts folder for dvdprofiler imports to work in SageMC (default stv already made this change recently) MUST INCLUDE THE VIDEO_TS.VOB AND VIDEO_TS.BUP IN THE FOLDER FOR THIS TO WORK
  • RESOLVED 6.3.8 Add in the new online video functionality from the default STV (the latest beta version)
  • RESOLVED 6.3.8 NEW 06/05/08 TV, Currently there is a "grouped" option where it groups shows by category and sorts by the category most recently recorded. Add an "apha grouped" option that lists the groups in alpha sort order
  • RESOLVED 6.3.8 New 08/24/08improvements to the Search feature (a-la the Default STV). In the Default STV's search, you can use single-press NTE and it will show you the matches that work with any combination of the pressed numbers. In SageMC, you have to drill the NTE down to the actual letters you are searching for.

If you would like to have your request added to this list, just post a response to this thread and I'll update the list - no guarantees on how fast I'll be on this but I will do it. If the request is something that isn't possible or something that would need to be fixed in the SageTV core it might not be added but your thread post of course will remain.
For others who want to add to this or if it makes sense knock down any bad

Finally, thanks to Dirk, Mike, SageTV folks and everyone else involved. I'm enjoying SageTV with SageMC a lot .

Last edited by Brent; 04-16-2009 at 12:23 PM.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:53 PM
Sage Icon

I don't really have any features to request at this point since I'm still not using everything that is there. There are only 2 things I can think of and one of them is probably only going to work with changes to the core. I'd love to have the concept of users with access control. The other is Brent's point about a way to donate to the developers. I know they work really hard on this and I can't imaging using Sage with the default UI. I'd love to help keep them motivated somehow.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:06 PM
Sage Aficionado

I too would donate.

I would like to see better cursor handling (as mentioned in my other thread, where Andy said it was possible http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32145)

Greg
Old 04-11-2008, 06:09 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
A way to donate to the developers. I'm all for free and I love free. Still, I'd like to send beer money to those who toil over the awesome add-ons that I use daily that enhance SageTV beyond it's standard self. It doesn't need to be a overly prominent thing, but I'd just like to give my thanks.
This is something I'm interested in also. I would be happy to help with code/documentation/testing if needed but would have no issue with supplying a little beer money. SageMC is fantastic!
Old 06-01-2008, 10:04 AM
SageTVaholic

SageMC Feature Requests - Updated

Updated the original post in this thread with the following new requests:
  • NEW 06/01/08 Fix the SageMC music by-song page bug
  • NEW 06/01/08 For videos and music pages, Add the following option: Use the sorted title field field so that the videos would drop the "The" and "A" when placing the DVDs in order.
  • NEW Videos, add the ability to do a mass IMDB (or other method) search for all videos that don't have metadata yet.
And updated the following request (revision in bold):
  • Videos - Ability to sort by date added and/or DVD release date. Don't know if this would work for non-dvdprofiler databases, but it would be HUGE (I really want this ) for those of us who have dvdprofiler.
Old 06-01-2008, 10:12 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
A way to donate to the developers.
Here here! I second (or third? fourth?) this idea. I've tried doing my own stv manipulation in the past. Since experiencing it firsthand, I would love to donate to those who have mastered it. (And whose tools I use every single day!)
Server: Antec SLK3800B, AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+, Biostar TForce 550, GeForce 7300LE, 1GB DDR2 800, 2 x HVR-1600, PVR-150MCE, 1.4TB HD Space, XP Pro, Java6, Latest SageTV Version
Old 06-05-2008, 12:20 PM
SageTVaholic

Added the following to the original request list above:
Quote:
TV, Currently there is a "grouped" option where it groups shows by category and sorts by the category most recently recorded. Add an "apha grouped" option that lists the groups in alpha sort order
This was mentioned in this thread and is something I've been meaning to add to the request list anyway...
Old 06-06-2008, 09:49 AM
Sage Icon

Brent,

You might want to try my JRMC plugin to see if it solves some of your video and music browsing, sorting, and search needs. As you know you can have an unlimited number of views into your library (DVDs included) sorted in different ways as well as playlists of photos and videos too. This plugin basically uses JRMC as a library server (unlike the one for that "other" program that used JRMC for playback) so you don't have to worry about focus issues, etc. Just throwing that out there as a possibility...
Old 06-06-2008, 09:58 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncb View Post
Brent,

You might want to try my JRMC plugin to see if it solves some of your video and music browsing, sorting, and search needs. As you know you can have an unlimited number of views into your library (DVDs included) sorted in different ways as well as playlists of photos and videos too. This plugin basically uses JRMC as a library server (unlike the one for that "other" program that used JRMC for playback) so you don't have to worry about focus issues, etc. Just throwing that out there as a possibility...
Thanks Craig,
Yeah the JRMC is something I tried when you first released it and something I'll probably come back to eventually. Bottom line, my hope is that eventually these things can be built-in to SageMC and won't require JRMC to run behind the scenes. I'm enjoying not having to deal with multiple programs running now that I'm no longer using BMedia
Old 06-06-2008, 10:09 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I'm enjoying not having to deal with multiple programs running now that I'm no longer using BMedia
I understand. I will just say that it is a much better situation now that it is not used for playback (you can't really tell that you have an additional program running). It is nice having access to playlists and smartlists from just one source (no export/import required) that can be shared everywhere.
Old 08-22-2008, 03:52 AM
SageTVaholic

I would like to see improvements to the Search feature (a-la the Default STV). In the Default STV's search, you can use single-press NTE and it will show you the matches that work with any combination of the pressed numbers. In SageMC, you have to drill the NTE down to the actual letters you are searching for.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 08-24-2008, 12:26 AM
Sage Aficionado

Music browsing

Hey there,

Just a quick feature request/suggestion to make browsing music a bit easier.

I sometimes find that I've started playing a track from an album, browsed about a bit into different albums but would like to go back to the track listing for the album that's currently playing. From the 'now playing' screen there's not an immediately obvious way to go to the album so I end up having to go and find it again in the album listing (or other view).

Here's a picture of how the now playing screen looks at the moment with the song details displayed.

What I suggest is changing the song detail so that the options for Album, Artist, Genre and possibly Year are selectable.

Selecting the Album option would take you to the Album listing;

Selecting Artist would take you to the Album Artist view for that Artist;

Selecting Genre would take you to the Album list filtered by that Genre;

I could have sworn there was a view by year option in MC but perhaps I was thinking of a different program.

Does this seem doable? Any alternative ideas for music navigation? Perhaps some buttons next to the image if you're viewing the 'Cover Art' rather than the 'Song Detail' in 'Now Playing'.

Mick.
Old 08-24-2008, 03:07 PM
Sage Icon

Send a message via MSN to jaminben
I would love to see :

Ability to add independant video submenus which dont have any relation to My Videos way of sorting and view options. So you could have your main My Videos, TV Series and Home Movies all have different views within their own submenu.

Different background images for different menus.

More information pulled from the movies chararistics like its screen resolution, audio type and a star rating from IMDB/DVDProfiler and have it display a small image for each. I've attached a very rough mockup.

Cheers

Ben
Attached Images
File Type: jpg My Videos Image.jpg (137.8 KB, 506 views)
Old 08-25-2008, 09:16 AM
Sage Aficionado

SageMC is fantastic as is.. But I can think of a few things to make it supreme.

- dynamic folders/categories in My Videos. Not sure how possible this is but if we can create a folder that groups items by date added, or by actor, or by director, I think that would be terrific. I would want this folder to appear when I group by genre, ie, it would be a category or subcategory. This is kind of similar to smart playlists in iTunes. This would also address Brent's request to sort videos by date. I'd have a folder which would list "20 most recent", and "Disney movies", and maybe "G rated".

- caller id on the hd extender. I think the add-in works on pc clients, or at least is not as important since you can always just use a YAC listener on a pc.

- Auto-rotate pictures based on Exif data

- add custom aspect ratio functionality from standard STV for hd extenders

- Web browser in SageMC that works on extender. maybe I'm dreaming.

Its really hard to think of new features that SageMC doesn't already have.

Last edited by appelm; 08-25-2008 at 01:48 PM.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:53 PM
Sage Advanced User

Ditto for the web browser.

I wonder if the mozilla browser engine (i.e. FireFox) could be made to render to a layer in the Sage display. It would work in Windows and Linux versions.

Because almost every site uses some form of flash, java, etc. to animate pages, a simple static HTML page display isn't going to do.

This same tech should be applied to the weather maps as well to allow display of radar / map animation.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:13 PM
Sage Expert

Send a message via ICQ to wbarber69 Send a message via AIM to wbarber69 Send a message via MSN to wbarber69 Send a message via Yahoo to wbarber69 Send a message via Skype™ to wbarber69
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickp View Post
Any alternative ideas for music navigation? Perhaps some buttons next to the image if you're viewing the 'Cover Art' rather than the 'Song Detail' in 'Now Playing'.

Mick.
Yes I want to see a file system hierarchy way of of displaying my music that reflects the non-filesystem way I mean I hate the stupid alphabetical listing of artists with folder icons, I mean I have a lot of music and I sometimes don't have all the folder icons in place for all the artists, plus some of my id3 tags may be incompatible with sagetv or they just aren't showing up correctly I'd like to see my music seperated by artist not just by the artist in the id3 tagt but by the folder name as welln and in a hierarchal fashion i.e.: Artist-->Album-->Song or Artist-->Album-->Disc #-->Song, accordingly. Of course you can use id3 tags to get all the info that you want but if a song is in a particular folder with that artists name then that artists album and the file itsel is called 01-track name.mp3 then don't list it off with a bunch of other badly tagged songs as 001, just because the other information in the id3 tag is either corrupt or missing, maybe even an option to fix the tag from within sage to have more detail as you can do with movies. Sorry about the rant but this has been my only real issue with sage since I jumped on board I hate the way my music looks on screen because I have so many (over 820) albums and its nearly impossible to even start to find which songs have bad tags let alone have the time to ever fix them all.
Old 09-19-2008, 02:01 PM
SageTVaholic

I think it'd be awfully cool to be able to sort recorded shows by season / episode number. No clue where that info would come from, but it'd be cool

btl.
Old 09-19-2008, 03:10 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bialio View Post
I think it'd be awfully cool to be able to sort recorded shows by season / episode number. No clue where that info would come from, but it'd be cool

btl.
Sort by Original Air Date kind of does this.....as long as the data is there/correct.

Aloha,
Mike

Last edited by MeInMaui; 09-19-2008 at 03:23 PM.
Old 09-20-2008, 09:24 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbarber69 View Post
Yes I want to see a file system hierarchy way of of displaying my music that reflects the non-filesystem way I mean I hate the stupid alphabetical listing of artists with folder icons, I mean I have a lot of music and I sometimes don't have all the folder icons in place for all the artists, plus some of my id3 tags may be incompatible with sagetv or they just aren't showing up correctly I'd like to see my music seperated by artist not just by the artist in the id3 tagt but by the folder name as welln and in a hierarchal fashion i.e.: Artist-->Album-->Song or Artist-->Album-->Disc #-->Song, accordingly. Of course you can use id3 tags to get all the info that you want but if a song is in a particular folder with that artists name then that artists album and the file itsel is called 01-track name.mp3 then don't list it off with a bunch of other badly tagged songs as 001, just because the other information in the id3 tag is either corrupt or missing, maybe even an option to fix the tag from within sage to have more detail as you can do with movies. Sorry about the rant but this has been my only real issue with sage since I jumped on board I hate the way my music looks on screen because I have so many (over 820) albums and its nearly impossible to even start to find which songs have bad tags let alone have the time to ever fix them all.
Hey wbarber69,

It sounds like you could use something to help with managing/fixing the metadata on your songs. The "View By Folder" view in Sage MC would work for general browsing of the collection though you'd always be limited to Artist/Album/Song. Is this what you do at the moment?

I like the way that my music collection works in SageMC but am a bit pedantic (retentive) about what goes into the centralised collection. Everything must be correctly tagged with at least album artist, album, song title along with a pic (not to mention satisfying my lossless fetish) before making it in.

I've been very impressed with the FREE dbpoweramp tools, particularly the batch converter (http://www.dbpoweramp.com). I notice that there's a utility codec "Tag From Filename: Set ID tags from filename or folder names". I've not used it though it looks like it should help. You would likely need to work on an album by album basis unless you've been particularly fastidious with naming conventions.

Using this tool (at your own risk using a backup copy of your collection of course ) might have an effect similar to your suggestion of having SAGE MC treat the directory structure as metadata.

Quote:
Tag Recognition this is where the format of the filenames is entered, for example audio files are in the format:

C:\A Folder\4 Madonna - Holiday.mp3
C:\A Folder\6 Eminem - My Name Is.mp3

Tag Recognition would be set to: [track] [artist] - [title]

Another example:

C:\AlbumName\ArtistName_Title.mp3 Tag recognition would be set to:

\[album]\[artist]_[title]

To recognize [ and ] as fixed string enter [[ ]], for example track number is surrounded by [], example: [12] so recognition would be [[[track]]]

Mode sets the search order of the elements, for example a track is \8 Artist Name - Track Title.mp3 if back to front was selected recognition would not work, because the artist name has a space in the name, and the track number is separated by a space, but front to back would work. If the track number was at the end of the filename, such as: Artist Name - Track Title 9.mp3 then back to front should be selected, test on a few files with spaces in the track title and artist name.

Recognized Tag Elements

dBpoweramp has a set of standard tag elements, such as [artist], but any tag value can be specified in [ ] brackets, by using standard tag elements ensures they are mapped to the correct locations, they are:

artist
album
title
genre
year
track ie 2 or 2/15
comment

Album Artist
band
disc
rating
tempo
composer
conductor
label
isrc
upc
mood
style
Subtitle

Encoded by
Encoder
Encoder Settings

I'm sure there are many good tools for managing tags out there. Brent reviewed MP3 Tag on Geek Tonic a while back. I prefer just to use the tagging built into Windows as it's understood by Sage, WMP and my Toshiba Gigabeat pmc thinger and just works.

Adding album art is pretty easy. I just do a Google Image Search for the Album title and artist and save one of the 300x300ish images to the Album's directory as folder.jpg.

Edit: It might be nice to automate this from within MC.

I'm sure that a tag editor could be built into SageMC but I'm not sure that it would remove a great deal of the drudgery of editing/fixing tags which tends to be a keyboard centric chore. How would you see this looking/behaving?

Have you considered making a second music collection for SageMC and only including the fixed files? It should only take about six months of manic dedication <jk>. Another alternative might be to date a Librarian .

Mick.

Last edited by mickp; 09-20-2008 at 09:35 PM.
Old 09-21-2008, 04:06 AM
SageTVaholic

How about a front end support to this: http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/down...do=file&id=239

Then you could add in other TV/Movie data sources, etc.

B